Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana is supposed to have both power and skill. If Cheetah is to be taken seriously the same should apply to her.

But then again I prefer either Zeus or Heracles as Diana's main enemy.
    Well, she should be powerful but I think the skill part is important as well. She shouldn't just be strong, she should be able to see how her enemy moves and change the ground in a way that advantages her. Her claws shouldn't just be strong enough to hurt Superman, she should be capable of perfectly hurting a body part to handicap her enemy

Wonder Woman is one who is a warrior and who knows many fighting styles, including divine weapons. If Cheetah is to rival her, she needs to rival her in skills because she already kinda does in power

Astonishing Member

Cheetah shouldn't have to be as powerful as Wonder Woman -- and it's stupid for DC to try to make her a physical match. Lex Luthor is not match for Superman physically -- yet, he remains Superman's arch enemy. In the Golden Age, Cheetah had no powers whatsover. It's her machinations that should cause conflict. WW is always going to be superior to Cheetah -- there is not need to make her an anti-Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Cheetah shouldn't have to be as powerful as Wonder Woman -- and it's stupid for DC to try to make her a physical match. Lex Luthor is not match for Superman physically -- yet, he remains Superman's arch enemy. In the Golden Age, Cheetah had no powers whatsover. It's her machinations that should cause conflict. WW is always going to be superior to Cheetah -- there is not need to make her an anti-Wonder Woman.
    Except Lex is, by way of his genius, able to build weapons and armor, such as his infamous battle suit. He has been shown to be a physical threat to Superman time and time again.

Admittedly, Superman's weaknesses to kryptonite and red solar energy as well as his inability to see through lead certainly help Lex in this regard, but his money + his intellect = building physical threats.

Storyline have also granted Luthor the power he needs, such as the current 'Year of the Villain' where he is now the 'ultimate apex predator.'

Spectacular Member

Honestly, I think giving her more powers would be a good way to make people stop seeing her as just a woman with cat powers and elevate her threat level

I have this ideia of putting more focus on the hunter angle, like stealth, poisoning, tracking,traps,that kind of stuff

Which is why her biting others and turning them into her minors is a good idea. Her having more predator cat powers is good way.

Spectacular Member

I have to disagree with you there.The whole cheetah bite thing puts more emphasis into the werecat instead of the divine hunter that I thing should be the central point of cheetah powers

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Honestly, I think giving her more powers would be a good way to make people stop seeing her as just a woman with cat powers and elevate her threat level
    Casual fans and the general public are always going to see her as "just a woman with cat powers" though, because...well...her codename is CHEETAH and she's a giant humanoid cat. So what else is she going to be to most folks at first appearance?

It's really no different than casuals just thinking of Joker as a "clown". Yeah, there's much more to his character than that, but that doesn't keep good writers from SHOWING that in the way that they write him.

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I have this ideia of putting more focus on the hunter angle, like stealth, poisoning, tracking,traps,that kind of stuff
    I agree with that, but would point out that that's not giving her more POWER, just making her more SKILLED. I'm all for that, because it would mean that writers would have to write her better. Also---just like Diana---her skills as a hunter (or in Diana's case, a warrior) would help her better utilize and better display her powers, instead of just lazily writing her as a powerhouse and a threat simply BECAUSE of her powers.

I mean if anything giving her more focus on cat powers. I mean the roar of a lion. THe stealth of a jagur.

Spectacular Member

Cheetahs don't roar & they gave her a mountain lion scream in the cartoon shows smh lol

If Diana is the best fighting Brick, Barbara should be the fastest brick.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Cheetahs don't roar & they gave her a mountain lion scream in the cartoon shows smh lol
    Yeah, Cheetahs are kind of the wimps of big cats, too. Much more dependent on speed than fighting ability. Makes me understand expanding to other cats. Don't really care about roaring - sound doesn't work in comics, anyway. I'm on record as not a fan of powerups, I admit. But I can understand wanting a formidable foe.

Casual fans and the general public are always going to see her as "just a woman with cat powers" though, because...well...her codename is CHEETAH and she's a giant humanoid cat. So what else is she going to be to most folks at first appearance?
    Pretty much. And frankly, if we're using the less human post-COIE/New 52 version, then I think she should be first thought of that way. Not only or exclusively thought of as such, but definitely somewhat. As an animistic avatar or servant of a god can work very well, too, if TPTB chose to go that route and really work with it.

Which is why her biting others and turning them into her minors is a good idea. Her having more predator cat powers is good way.
    I do not like that. Just personal preference.

I know Cheetah's don't roar. I just feel that since Cheetahs are still considered big cats why not expand her powers to others. I mean if cheetahs are wimp cats. How should this affect Babs? I mean in ancient Egyptian there was a reason why. A few goddesses had cheetah designs. One was the goddess of judgment.

I think her powers are fine as they are. They just need to write her as a smart villain and utilize her background as an archeologist more often. Have her use mystical artifacts and weapons against Diana like that time she infected her claws with the centaur's blood and practically killed her or when used the power of the Furies against Ballesteros.

Spectacular Member

I honestly don't get this dislike for high power level characters.street levels are easier to make interesting,but I think there is a place for truly SUPER heroes like superman,flash and wonder woman

Going back to barbara,I would suggest making the cheetah form not her source of power,but the way the curse manifest itself.she's not a woman with cheetah powers, but a woman with goddess of the hunt powers cursed in the form of a cheetah

I honestly don't get this dislike for high power level characters.street levels are easier to make interesting,but I think there is a place for truly SUPER heroes like superman,flash and wonder woman
    I think there's a place for them, but we need to be wary of just adding and adding more powers as though that makes them more interesting. As I've said, I feel like when you can't hurt a character without being a threat to the entire world, it means any "big" story for the character is likely to include mass death and destruction. And that's just not to my taste. Also, it makes small stories more difficult. I like Superman and Wonder Woman and Flash having powers. But I don't want WW to have more godlike powers, I like Superman at his post-COIE power level rather than pre, and I think the speedsters should only have speed, not speed-thievery, scouts, or electrokinesis. And I like Kryptonite and GL being unable to use his powers on yellow, too. Despite it being baked into the source material, I really don't like the bondage-removal-of-powers for WW, though.

Going back to barbara,I would suggest making the cheetah form not her source of power,but the way the curse manifest itself.she's not a woman with cheetah powers, but a woman with goddess of the hunt powers cursed in the form of a cheetah
    I think to make her more interesting, the best place to look is in mindset, motivation, and method. "Cursed" is sympathetic (or at least can be, if it didn't happen though "fitting karma" circumstance), but shallow and gets old quickly. It's fine for her to be cursed, but there needs to be more going on in her head than just that. Goddess of the hunt - okay, so what's she hunting, what does she hope to gain by hunting? And is it something about that, or some other aspect that makes her Diana's enemy?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-09-2019 at 11:43 AM.