Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cheetah's powers

I wonder when it comes to Cheetah, whatever powers should she have? I was thinking about adding on other feline powers. Like she can roar like a lion.

To me, adding powers is generally a poor idea. For one, it leads to power inflation, which has been a big problem throughout the history of superhero comics. For another, more powers doesn't tend to make a character more interesting—instead they are forgotten by writers 90% of the time.

Speed, strength, ferocity, and ultra-sharp claws should be enough to make a credible opponent to any superhero.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I mean wouldn't it make sense for her to have more connection with the African felines? Like her controlling felines?

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To me, adding powers is generally a poor idea. For one, it leads to power inflation, which has been a big problem throughout the history of superhero comics. For another, more powers doesn't tend to make a character more interesting—instead they are forgotten by writers 90% of the time.

Speed, strength, ferocity, and ultra-sharp claws should be enough to make a credible opponent to any superhero.
    I agree that those powers are enough but they need to be shown better. Cheetah should be Diana's equal in strength and speed force fast. If that were the case she wouldn't need upgrades or a God Killer sword. She'd be as formidable as in the first Perez story where she appeared and hasn't been as challenging since.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Her current power set is fine, writers just need to treat it consistently. I don't think she needs any more innate powers.

Where her true deadliness should lie is her intellect. She should be resourceful enough to locate dangerous artifacts that she could use as weapons. The Godkiller in theory is fine, the crappiness is the execution and that Lex gave it to her. If she learned of it herself and discovered it like she did Themyscira, one of the the main issues with the story on her end wouldn't be there.

One thing I do think would make sense is that she can beat Flash if given the chance. Like for a few moments she can go speed the Flash.

I'm good with super speed, super strength, a demigod constitution and resiliency, super senses (sight, hearing, taste, etc.), and super strong claws and a prehensile-y tale.

Barbara Minerva provides the intelligence, cunning, remorselessness, charisma (to the right person), and Machiavellian attitude, to the Cheetah's animalistic prowess.

Fantastic Member

I'm not a fan of criminal being giving powers. It seem their away making the criminals more powerful than the heroes. These days the heroes are only glorify pinching bags!! The plot for most arc are about the heroes getting his or her ass kicked! They don't win with their powers, their skills or their brains!! Somebody saves them are they just get plain lucky. Give WW the powers!! Cheetah is a just criminal!! Put her behind bars!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 12-02-2019 at 10:00 AM.

All villains are criminals. So I don’t know what you mean. Lex is a criminals but gets away with it. Since the beginning there have been villains given powers. So I’m not sure what you mean. Cheetah since Perez was giving powers due to her greed.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Cheetah was never meant to be a purely physical match for Diana. He power set is serviceable, but I like the fact that her skills as an archeologist are being played up more. She lives in a world where magical artifacts are real. She should use them to augment her powers.

Fantastic Member

Yes!! Criminals are villains!! Lex is a criminal!! Lex wearing superman cape and S was degrading and a slap in the face to all superman's fans in the new 52! He should be behind bars, just like cheetah!! It seems in all the thread lately they want to glorify Cheetah! Like she's a hero, she's working to help people!! She not! She's a criminal and should be punished for her crimes. That's what I mean!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 12-02-2019 at 01:28 PM.

I never said that. The whole thing is she is supposed to be a dark mirror for Diana.

The real importance for Cheetah shouldn't be powers but skills. The difference I've always saw between Wonder Woman and Superman is if Superman has powers, Wonder Woman has skills. She can use a sword, when she hits, it's not powerful because it's strong but because she knows how to hit, she just has the bonus of having powers.

That is what I want for Cheetah, I don't want powers but skills. Her powers should be a backseat to how much of a predator she can be

Diana is supposed to have both power and skill. If Cheetah is to be taken seriously the same should apply to her.

But then again I prefer either Zeus or Heracles as Diana's main enemy.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I'm not a fan of criminal being giving powers. It seem their away making the criminals more powerful than the heroes. These days the heroes are only glorify pinching bags!! The plot for most arc are about the heroes getting his or her ass kicked! They don't win with their powers, their skills or their brains!! Somebody saves them are they just get plain lucky. Give WW the powers!! Cheetah is a just criminal!! Put her behind bars!!
    Villains should be more powerful then heroes( or at least more cunning or armed with the heroes weakness) antagonists are suppose to be obstacles for the hero to overcome. What’s the point of clearly inferior obstacles? This is why supervillains exist. Most superheroes would have fallen into obscurity years ago if they only fought regular criminals.