View Poll Results: Whose Batman work do you enjoy more?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scott Snyder

75 75.76%
  • Tom King

24 24.24%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

King's run isn't over yet, won't be really until the Bat-Cat series is over. So for now, holding back judgement.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Ha this is a pretty charmingly competitive-for-no-reason thread but I did immediately have a chuckle and an answer.

On everything else, Tom King seems to be a better writer to me. Mister Miracle, that GL one shot. I even like his Superman story. I'm looking forward to Strange. He's done some great one-shots and shorts. And Omega Men was lovely. Grayson is my favorite comic to come out in the last however half decade. Half of that is Seeley, but still, credit where credit is due. Their work-balance was perfect.

But on Batman, it's Snyder. I was a strong critic, too. But he has too many high highs and wins, even with the added weight of the New 52 mandate. Snyder's really winning me back with Justice League, by the by, because I think he's better at this gigantic zany weirdness than he was with Batman stories.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

I like 'em both better than Morrison's run.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    King's run isn't over yet, won't be really until the Bat-Cat series is over. So for now, holding back judgement.
    Well, Batman / Catwoman #7 (of 12) was due out this past week, so don't know if Scott Taylor will still be waiting to make any final judgement, but at present the results so far (with 56 people having voted) are:
    * Scott Snyder = 40 votes
    * Tom King = 16 votes

I voted Snyder. King's wasn't remotely as bad as some people have/will try to make it out to be, and he took a lot of interesting swings, but there were times where I felt like he was reaching for a degree of artistry that he couldn't quite execute. Snyder tho, I felt he understood the assignment and just focused on making a fun popcorn flick style comic. plus, I'm kinda obligated to say Snyder if only because his run gave me my favorite comic book character, which got me into comics in the first place.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-11-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

King was straight trash. Nothing about his attempts at writing were even remotely interesting. He obviously doesn't understand the character of Batman, or anyone else he writes for that matter, and he can't even keep up with his own continuity. How many times did Batman get his back broken and then walk it off in his run? Snyder is the better writer, which pains me to say because everything he wrote after Batman was terrible, but still, King is trash.

Fantastic Member

Scott Snyder easy. we got the court of owls, death of the family, zero year and endgame which were all brilliant.

Tom King gave us garbage, characters that sounded like robots, issues wasted with weird poetry or letters instead of actual dialogue. and then characters who were suppsoed to be having a conversation with one another would make no damn sense because its like they would ignore what the other was saying and just say what they wanted. it was like two seperate conversations being held at once, then we have the gift storyline which destroyed booster gold's character, holy crap did that arc suck. Tom King's Batman is by far the worst run I've ever read.

Extraordinary Member

IMO, Snyder. There were moments where I was frustrated with the direction that Snyder was taking Batman, but...I could always say I walked away from an issue of Snyder's run having read a story and gotten my money's worth of story. There were some issues of Tom King that I'm pretty sure didn't even contain a full scene. And, if I'm being honest, there were at least a few times during King's run that I could read a whole issue in literally two minutes.

However, I wouldn't say that Snyder is the better writer overall. Tom King still has some phenomenal runs on Mr. Miracle, Rorschach, and his current Strange Advetures. So, I think he just is more suited to miniseries than to ongoing.

Incredible Member

Definitely Scott Snyder's run; loved Court of Owls, Superheavy and his All-Star Batman run. Wasn't a big fan of Zero Hour or his take on the Joker (outside of his appearance in Superheavy).

Tom King.... I liked what he did to Kite Man, that's about it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Tom King might be the better sheer writer, but Scott probably wins as a Batman writer with his strong mixture of characterization, balance, villains, ideas, themes, aesthetic. Black Mirror is a great example of Scott's strengths as a Batman writer, not just his Capullo run work. Snyder has a slightly better intuition of fans want out of Batman comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

NOTE: Thread first began in December 2019.
    ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

With 78 people having voted,
    * Scott Snyder = 60 votes
    * Tom King = 18 votes

I don’t hate Tom King, I genuinely really liked his run until the wedding debacle and nightwing incident, but Scott Snyder is much more what I’m looking for in a comic writer. Someone who really takes to the fact that this is a fantastical comic book world and loves to play in it with interesting ideas that are just zany and weird.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Both writers have the potential to write good comics. Black Mirror is great, I liked the first couple issues of The Court of Owls. After that I haven't liked anything Scott Snyder has written. He's like if Jeph Loeb thought he was Grant Morrison.

Tom King dialogue is really janky. I liked Sheriff of Babylon and parts of Omega Men, and the Vision.

Tom King easily for me. I think Synders run is overrated (outside of the stuff he did with Dick). He had some cool concepts but I think he was running out of juice near the end and on a conceptual level I don’t think I agree with how he thinks Bruce should be

Incredible Member

This thread is kind of sad for me as it has made me realize how I have not been truly engaged in the main Bat Book since the New 52.

Snyder was better but not by much. He contributed more to the mythology. The first six issues of the Court of Owls were amazing but once we got to the Night of Owls it went down hill. Death of The Family was goodish. I liked only the first half of Zero Year. Endgame was not great and I did not enjoy Gordan Batman. I did enjoy, regular guy Bruce though.

Kings run on the other hand, started mediocre and stayed that way the entire time. I kept expected it to amp up but it never did. The highlight was Bane actually felt dangerous again for the first time in a long time and the Superman two parter was really enjoyable. Knightmare`s arc was the end of the road for me.