Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's your favorite Wonder Woman retcon?

There are plenty of retcons I don't like, but I thought I'd for a more positive note and try to think of ones I do.

I do like Donna existing.

Sex pirates being a retcon. Cheetah no longer being part of that weiird cult in New 52.

By far my favorite retcon is when DC restored Diana's rightful place in DC history following Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Much as I loved the Crisis storyline, I hated that Diana was a brand new hero and not the historically significant character she had been for nearly 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    By far my favorite retcon is when DC restored Diana's rightful place in DC history following Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Much as I loved the Crisis storyline, I hated that Diana was a brand new hero and not the historically significant character she had been for nearly 50 years.
    That's definitely one to me, too. It matters to me that Bruce, Clark, and Diana start heroing at roughly the same time, as originally established. I mean, it's not a deal-breaker that will make me quit reading comics, but it is my preferred serup. Which is why post-COIE setup, Clark as Superboy and the new timeline are all versions I do not prefer. Also, Ollie should start heroing at roughly the same time as them, too, but it's not as essential to me. I do like Roy and Dick starting then, too. Superman should be first hero, and Dick first kid sidekick. But I really want Diana, Clark, and Bruce on fairly even footing. As peers from the get-go, rather than of significantly different experience levels.

What do you mean by first hero? Thanks to JSA wouldn’t the first hero be one of them?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Speaking of being the first hero: if the 5G timeline is legit, I like Diana as that hero.

Donna existing, as one of my favorite DC heroes, has to take it for me though.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you mean by first hero? Thanks to JSA wouldn’t the first hero be one of them?
    Now, yes. But originally, Superman was the first DC superhero in real life. I like him being the first in-universe. I much prefer the pre-COIE setup where the JSA is on another earth. For various reasons - not just the Superman-being first (though that matters). But because many are tied to the WWII time frame for them, even though originally Black Canary debuted after and they did seem to timeslide in the early '70s comics (Larry Lance's year of birth on his tombstone was 1930). Them tied to that timeframe means they need to stay in a world that doesn't get past 1975 to me. Them in a time-progresses-to-present-world either screws with the timeslide or they have to made non-aging, which is depressing because they face seeing generations of friends, lovers, and even children dying while they live on. It's not a setup that works for me with them. Also the JSA does tend to be a second-tier team when existing in the same universe as the Justice League, and that's not good, either.

Speaking of being the first hero: if the 5G timeline is legit, I like Diana as that hero.
    I do not. I like Diana, but am no more happy with her being senior and Clark and Bruce being rookies than I was with them being senior and her being rookie. I do not like diminishing them (especially Superman-as-first) to further her. I don't like taking things away from one character to further another. And honestly, making the start date 1938 instead of 1941 makes it worse. I mean, I get the rocket is being used and the meta of the start of the DC universe, but they flat-out seem to be taking the debut away from Clark to give it Diana, and that is just not okay with me. Also don't think it's the kind of thing to stick, long-term. But frankly, I'm still waiting for a "WWII was 60 years ago" explanation that won't confuse/alienate every casual reader, because that is my biggest problem with that timeline, and it's worst weakness as far as longevity is concerned, I think.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-02-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Probably the current Year One origin by Rucka. He writes a great Diana and it was just a really good story.
    Assassinate Putin!