Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm glad you're doing this again Reviresco! Such a fun holiday tradition!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 21 Days till Christmas

21 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner #9
    by Herb Trimpe, inked by Dan Adkins, with alterations by Johnny Romita Sr.
    Cover Date January 1969

This was actually NOT the first "Namor in chains" cover I encountered, it was the second, but it was certainly the one that made the biggest impression on me. WHAT the heck was Lady Dorma doing???

For the longest time I thought this cover was drawn by Marie Severin, who did the interiors, but I discovered the penciler was actually Herb Trimpe! I have to admit, I've never been a big fan of his work, but the pieces I've liked invariably have strong, distinctive inkers. Dan Adkins really elevates this cover, and allows the dramatic composition to grab the viewer.

Romita Sr., who may have been the art director at that time, also contributes to the drama of this cover. He cleaned up the "smoky" background and replaced it with the bright red of danger. Judging from the original cover, it appears he also clipped Lady Dorma out and moved her to the left. He also switched out her dagger with something more deadly looking.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Love the issue you picked for this week. For some reason, back in those days the Marvel Feature was hard to find. Maybe I just didn't find it on the shelves at the shop I went to back then. I am glad it was included in the new TPB edition of Triumph and Torment.
    The Mignola cover is truly one of my all time favorites.

I think Marvel Fanfare was one the first Direct Market books, wasn't it? It was definitely one of the higher quality ones printed on Baxter paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I'm glad you're doing this again Reviresco! Such a fun holiday tradition!
    Good to see you too, Dermie! Glad you are enjoying it
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

So good to follow another Namor advent calendar, Reviresco! One treat each day : December will be just great!
    Last edited by Abe; 12-05-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Damn you, autocorrect!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I thought that cover was Marie Severin as well. Namor's face certainly looks like her style.

This Lemuria/Serpent Crown arc is probably my favorite for Silver Age Sub-Mariner. I like the stories where Namor doesn't really interact with the surface world. This is the kind of book i would write if i did a solo series, call it Savage Sub-Mariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I thought that cover was Marie Severin as well. Namor's face certainly looks like her style.

This Lemuria/Serpent Crown arc is probably my favorite for Silver Age Sub-Mariner. I like the stories where Namor doesn't really interact with the surface world. This is the kind of book i would write if i did a solo series, call it Savage Sub-Mariner.
    I agree. And Marie, like JR SR did alot of art directing / touch ups, etc. on covers, so I would have thought she might have done that instead of him.

I do love the Lemuria / Serpent Crown story a lot... and now that I think of it, I do like the undersea stuff more too. I mean, a good portion of my favorite arcs are about Namor and Atlantis. Until Marvel got Conan, I long thought they were leaving money on the table by not going the fantasy / sword and sorcery route with Namor. They had nothing like it, for decades. But every since Joe Q, Marvel has been all about the street / noir heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    So good to follow another Namor advent calendar, Reviresco! One test each day : December will be just great!
    It's good to see you Abe! Thank you! Hope I live up to your expectations this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's good to see you Abe! Thank you! Hope I live up to your expectations this year.
    I'm sure you will, Rev!

(btw I corrected my post : I never meant a test, but a treat each day... it makes more sense, doesn't it?
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Astonishing Member

Who is the woman on this cover? I don't see any ankle wings so it shouldn't be Namora or Namorita, but it does seem to be someone capable of breathing underwater (or surviving without air). The outfit makes me think of Venus though.

Default 20 Days till Christmas

20 Days to Christmas

Avengers Invaders #3
    by Alex Ross
    Cover Date September 2008

Of course, there would be a Alex Ross cover in this Advent Calendar. Luckily there was quite a few to pick from, since Ross does like the Invaders, but this was the only one that featured only Namor AND two versions of him! Ross captured the young, Golden Age Namor down to his red hair, while older, heavier Namor is wearing the 70s black suit, with shiny metal bracers and belt. Both, however, have giant, glowing gorgeous ankle wings, blurred with their movement. Even though they aren't in the water, Ross chose to make the sky and ocean in bright shades of blue, reflecting and with reflections. It's a glorious, bright, bold cover.

Plus, an added layer of this cover, it's actually an homage to a Bill Everett piece that appeared in old Steranko calendar!

From this interview, it's clear Alex Ross appreciates Namor, historically and as a character. I'd love to see him do covers for a Namor series, much like he's done for the current series of Hulk and Cap.

SYFY WIRE: You’ve got the keys to the Marvel or DC kingdoms to make any superhero film you want. Which one is it?

ROSS: Namor! That’s kind of where Marvel is headed after they get Doctor Strange up to speed. Namor is such a primary character, it’s going to take some special thought and attention. You’ve got to get someone that looks like an elf. Like Jamie Campbell Bower, the guy who played Arthur in the Starz Camelot series. Since he’s so young he’d still be right for the part when they finally get around to it in five years. All I care about as a fan is to see them translate from what worked on the page for decades.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...ms-namor-movie

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Who is the woman on this cover? I don't see any ankle wings so it shouldn't be Namora or Namorita, but it does seem to be someone capable of breathing underwater (or surviving without air). The outfit makes me think of Venus though.
    It IS Venus ... sort of. When this was written, Everett clearly intended it to be the goddess / Atlas era character. As Victoria "Vicki" Nutley Starr, she was a professor for Namorita, and IIRC, she tapped Namor as her champion when Ares tried to kidnap her or something like that. She had a magic 'girdle' that was involved somehow. She's the same Venus in Agents of Atlas, so of course, her 'godhood' was retconned and she's apparently just a siren.

20 Days to Christmas

Avengers Invaders #3
    by Alex Ross
    Cover Date September 2008

Of course, there would be a Alex Ross cover in this Advent Calendar. Luckily there was quite a few to pick from, since Ross does like the Invaders, but this was the only one that featured only Namor AND two versions of him! Ross captured the young, Golden Age Namor down to his red hair, while older, heavier Namor is wearing the 70s black suit, with shiny metal bracers and belt. Both, however, have giant, glowing gorgeous ankle wings, blurred with their movement. Even though they aren't in the water, Ross chose to make the sky and ocean in bright shades of blue, reflecting and with reflections. It's a glorious, bright, bold cover.

Plus, an added layer of this cover, it's actually an homage to a Bill Everett piece that appeared in old Steranko calendar!

From this interview, it's clear Alex Ross appreciates Namor, historically and as a character. I'd love to see him do covers for a Namor series, much like he's done for the current series of Hulk and Cap.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...ms-namor-movie
    This is an all time favourite for me. I absolutely love this version of Namor, particularly the Golden Age Namor. The fact that it's a homage to the amazing Everett piece, which I didn't see until after the Ross version, makes this even more special. This is one where I wish there was a poster print made.
    Last edited by Doombot; 12-06-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You are right, they should make a poster of that wonderful Alex Ross cover. He has his own store on his website but unfortunately not as much Marvel as DC. I picked up his new book Marvelocity at his booth at C2E2 but he didn't attend the convention the day I was there. I don't think he did any signings there at all.

Default 19 Days to Christmas

19 Days to Christmas

Avengers #270
    by John Buscema and Tom Palmer
    Cover Date August 1986

This cover is out of place with the rest of the kick butt Namor covers thus far, but it has always been one of my favorites, because it shows, dare I say it, a human side. Namor is often written as utterly confident, but here, at fairly low point in his life, we see he questions himself, just like most people. Of course, since Namor is not a ruler at this point, perhaps he feels he can indulge himself. My only complaint about this cover is that I wish it had reflected both factions of protestors, which are in the book, instead of just the anti-Namor group. I thought it was great to have veterans and environmentalists come out in support of Namor as an Avenger. It sort of reflects comic fandom, also. ; )

I've also included the non-colored version of this cover, which shows Palmer's use of zip tone? I don't think it's the duo shade process that Byrne used later in Namor's book, but it delivers the same sort of gradients.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

The sad Namor cover is up there with being one of the most memorable, and I do love that Alex Ross art so much, I know I've said this before but I love how he showed the differences between young Namor and older Namor.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis