Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 12 Days to Christmas

12 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner #37 variant
    by Sal Buscema
    Cover Date May 1971

Sal Buscema is one of the underrated artists amongst comic fans, but he did an amazing amount of work at Marvel. Namor fans especially were fortunate enough to see a lot of his work, as not only did he have a run on Namor's own book, but he also had an even longer run on the early issues of the Defenders. He even did one of the first Invaders covers with Avengers #71.

Most of Sal's Namor covers were like a straightforward splash page or expanded panel. This one, however, had more of a design quality, more like a movie poster employing the split face motif -- with contrasting lighting that gave it a layer of psychological drama. And of course, it illustrated the central conflict of the story inside. Yet Namor fans also understood, this was also one of the central traits of Namor himself. Because he is both of the land and the sea, he will always be in conflict both between those two worlds and within himself. It's why I think writers trying to 'fix' or explain Namor's temper, don't quite understand one of his central concepts.

Besides all that, this cover will always be one of Namor's most memorable for me, because it is the issue where Lady Dorma dies. : (
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I would call him "shimmery Namor"

That is one of my favorites and I regret not getting this variant. I wish they hadn't done it on an X-Men title. This should have been a Fantastic Four variant. In any case, for some variants the lcs wants you to buy a number of regular covers since they get charged more for certain variants. It is less of a problem these days but it still happens. I've not visited Paolo Rivera's blog lately and but I remember his post about his early Marvel work, the Doom story "Masks" in Marvel Double Shots #2 That is a fun post to read too....and his Dad was a stand in for Doctor Doom!
    I agree. He's shimmery or shiny to me.

I ended picking it up, I'm sure, in part because it was in the middle of some X-Men event at the time Namor was on the team. Technically it was a FF variant, cause it was a line wide celebration of their 50th anniversary, I think. They were all about the FF, and I think Rivera did all of them, but they showed up on various other titles.

Ah, yes. The Masks story! That was awesome. He also did the covers for Books of Doom, didn't he?

But I believe that Rivera had a print of this cover. I think I picked it up, along with his Golden Age Namor cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I liked Sting-Ray (note the spelling originally as compared with today's Stingray), I think because he was the closest Marvel Character to Marine Boy, whom I love.
    I noticed that also! They hypenated Sting-Ray. I do like the character also. I hope someone deals, and explains, with what Namor did to him. : (

Who is Marine Boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    All great choices, Rev! And I enjoy reading your art analysis! (and Dermie's comments )
    Thank you, Abe! Some days there's more analysis than others, for a variety of reasons. But of course, the art is worth visiting.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marine Boy was a cartoon from long ago. The MB had a special underwater suit with boot air propulsors, "OxyGum" to breathe underwater and an Electrified Boomerang! His best friend was a Mermaid, Neptina. He had a dolphin friend who would communicate with him and help on missions.
    Marine Boy was part of the Ocean Patrol and was attuned to (protecting) sea life.

Mighty Member

How did I miss this thread, awesome work as always! Love to read your detailed information about each cover, Rev!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree. He's shimmery or shiny to me.

I ended picking it up, I'm sure, in part because it was in the middle of some X-Men event at the time Namor was on the team. Technically it was a FF variant, cause it was a line wide celebration of their 50th anniversary, I think. They were all about the FF, and I think Rivera did all of them, but they showed up on various other titles.

Ah, yes. The Masks story! That was awesome. He also did the covers for Books of Doom, didn't he?

But I believe that Rivera had a print of this cover. I think I picked it up, along with his Golden Age Namor cover.
    I wish I had thought of checking his site back then to see if he was selling prints. Yes, he did the covers for Books of Doom. He's not on the credits page but you can seen his signature most of the covers. I am pretty sure I bought today's issue and my brother probably has it in the long boxes he keeps at his house. I have no room for that kind of thing! I may go back and read it with my Marvel Unlimited. It sure comes in handy.

I forgot to get my 12 Days of Doom going so I better get busy and catch up!

Astonishing Member

I always do a double take when I see this cover. In addition to the hyphen in Stingray's name, which disappeared over time, the colours on his mask are reversed here from how they normally are. Is that how they appeared IN the issue as well, or was it a colouring error on the cover?

Default 11 Days to Christmas

11 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner (2007) #4
    by Marko Djurdjevic
    Cover Date 2007

Marko Djurdjevic, like Simone Bianchi, is an European artist, whose work demonstrates a strong grasp on anatomy. I believe most of his work is digital, but is also very painterly, with strokes of color. He tends to paint Namor very pale, almost albino, which makes sense for a character that spends most of his time in the dark depths of the ocean, away from the rays of the sun. He's done a ton of Marvel covers, especially group shots, but only a few with Namor. This is one of my favorites. With a grotesque Venom leering over his captive, it's horrifying, yet strangely sensual. And yes, it's another Namor in Bondage cover.

I've included a pencil sketch that was a pre-lim for this cover, where Djurdjevic settles on the pose and the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I always do a double take when I see this cover. In addition to the hyphen in Stingray's name, which disappeared over time, the colours on his mask are reversed here from how they normally are. Is that how they appeared IN the issue as well, or was it a colouring error on the cover?
    I didn't catch that. But yes, it the same in the comic as on the cover, with the red shield, instead of white. Now that makes me want to go look at Subby 19 and see how it was originally done.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Marine Boy was a cartoon from long ago. The MB had a special underwater suit with boot air propulsors, "OxyGum" to breathe underwater and an Electrified Boomerang! His best friend was a Mermaid, Neptina. He had a dolphin friend who would communicate with him and help on missions.
    Marine Boy was part of the Ocean Patrol and was attuned to (protecting) sea life.
    I just looked it up ... it was one of the first anime exported to the US! Cool. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    How did I miss this thread, awesome work as always! Love to read your detailed information about each cover, Rev!
    Thanks, Thor-El! Some are more detailed than others, but hopefully I can keep up this month.

I wish I had thought of checking his site back then to see if he was selling prints. Yes, he did the covers for Books of Doom. He's not on the credits page but you can seen his signature most of the covers. I am pretty sure I bought today's issue and my brother probably has it in the long boxes he keeps at his house. I have no room for that kind of thing! I may go back and read it with my Marvel Unlimited. It sure comes in handy.

I forgot to get my 12 Days of Doom going so I better get busy and catch up!
    Didn't realize he sold on his site, though that makes sense. I picked mine up at a con he was attending, IIRC.

I keep thinking I'm going to do Marvel Unlimited, it's such a good deal ... maybe this year. My library has iPads to check out, and those might have a big enough screen.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks, Thor-El! Some are more detailed than others, but hopefully I can keep up this month.

Didn't realize he sold on his site, though that makes sense. I picked mine up at a con he was attending, IIRC.

I keep thinking I'm going to do Marvel Unlimited, it's such a good deal ... maybe this year. My library has iPads to check out, and those might have a big enough screen.
    I got myself an IPAD earlier this year and I love it for reading books and comics. The screen adjusts automatically if you are reading in bed so you can read without leaving the lights on.

I really enjoyed that Namor mini and we've both said many times how it was frustrating to see there was no follow up to its' conclusion. I would love to see Namor show up in the Doctor Doom series. How can they be apart this long?

BTW I used Sub-Mariner #47 cover as my entry in this weeks cover contest in the Community forum. The topic is getting kicked out.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't think I need explain why this is one of my favorite covers.
    We can probably hazard a guess on that one.

Is it just me, or does Namor's facial expression seem to be saying "excuse me, my eyes are up here"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    We can probably hazard a guess on that one.

Is it just me, or does Namor's facial expression seem to be saying "excuse me, my eyes are up here"?
    LOL! Oh come one. Like a lifetime spent in the speedos amongst his equally scantily clad subjects hasn't prepared him.

But yes, the sight lines (and expressions) on this cover are hilarious.

I got myself an IPAD earlier this year and I love it for reading books and comics. The screen adjusts automatically if you are reading in bed so you can read without leaving the lights on.

I really enjoyed that Namor mini and we've both said many times how it was frustrating to see there was no follow up to its' conclusion. I would love to see Namor show up in the Doctor Doom series. How can they be apart this long?

BTW I used Sub-Mariner #47 cover as my entry in this weeks cover contest in the Community forum. The topic is getting kicked out.
    I just checked out an iPad from my library. I'm going to check it out. It looks like it is about an inch shorter than normal comic book size, but that's till tons better than my little 7" Amazon Fire.

I agree! It's been waaay too long since we've had a decent SVTU. A few panels here and there just aren't enough.

LOL! That's a great one! And a good point. LET GO, before you throw someone out the window, Namor. ;p

10 Days to Christmas

Marvel Age #84
    by John Byrne
    Cover Date January 1990

It shouldn't have been so hard to pick out a John Byrne cover for Namor, but for me, it was. So I went with this totally unexpected image, which I love. I don't believe in covering Namor up, but if you are going to do so, a smart looking suit isn't totally objectionable.