Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Namor smoking is so weird.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Namor smoking is so weird.
    Love the suit bc Namor cuts a handsome figure but yeah, I always thought Atlanteans cant take that kind of poisons so the smoking is definitely off to me too. I guess its just to show he was a big deal business guy back in the 90s?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Love the suit bc Namor cuts a handsome figure but yeah, I always thought Atlanteans cant take that kind of poisons so the smoking is definitely off to me too. I guess its just to show he was a big deal business guy back in the 90s?
    Perhaps its not an actual cigarette, but rather some special Atlantean variation on it, using kelp or some other non-toxic marine plant substitute.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 9 Days to Christmas

9 Days to Christmas

Fear Itself: The Fearless #4
    by Art Adams
    Cover Date February 2012

I love Art Adams work; he's insanely detailed. He hasn't drawn a lot of Namor, and often he's in a group. This is one of my favorites, not so much for Namor, but for how Adams draws Namor's environment. Seriously. Look at those giant sea monsters that Namor is fighting!

Also, I love how Adams draws Namor's ankle wings BIG.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Default 8 Days Till Christmas

8 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner #16
    by Marie Severin
    Cover Date August 1969

If you thought I was going to leave Marie Severin off this list of my favorite covers, you need to read more of my posts! ; p A girl reading comics in the 1970s, seeing a woman drawing comics made a HUGE impression on me. Plus, I loved her art. It wasn't as flashy or stylized as either Buscema, or moody and dynamic as Gene Colan's, but it reminded me of story book illustrations, like in the Oz books. Her work was ideal for the sword and sorcery / fantasy stories that Roy Thomas was telling in Namor's book then. And she was probably the best of Namor's artists with expressions -- which makes sense, given she is probably most famously known for her caricatures in Crazy. I'm not sure if many newer comic fans even know about Marie Severin, but she was awesome. Not only was she a penciller at Marvel, but she also was a colorist, and sometimes art director, often doing layouts or touch ups on covers.

I was torn about which Subby cover to pick, as Severin's work sits squarely in some of my favorite Namor books, but I went with this one, because it was so different, like a old horror story and it grabbed your imagination with questions. It looked foggy, and Namor / the reader is trapped in a living morass, with desolate wrecks of ancient ships filling the horizon. Who is that Egyptian guy on the reed boat and what's he even doing in the Bermuda triangle? If that wasn't enough, a ghostly Tiger Shark looms in the sky, threatening even if Namor should escape the Sargasso. I also love how the lettering on the cover is wavy, like it actually sits on the moving surface of the ocean. Between the Sargasso seaweed and all the shading line work filling the cover, it felt like one of Bill Everett's horror covers.

Here's the inked version by Frank Giancola.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-18-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Ahhh! Marie's art! I was secretly hoping she would make it to the countdown, but wasn't sure which cover you'd go for. I feel like she is one of the few women artists who really gave Namor a defining look during her time on his books and her art really grabbed my attention when I first got into Namor. This cover is beautiful.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

7 Days to Christmas

Best Defense Namor #1
    by Marco Checchetto
    Cover Date January 2019

I love Marco Checchetto's Namor. This is the only Marco Checchetto cover of Namor. Hence, it makes my list.

I love that Severin cover. Other than Everett, she's the other silver age artist who draws his face the way i like it. That's my one complaint about Gene Colan is he seems to struggle getting Namor's face just right.

FYI, Marvel finally added the missing issues of the Sub-Mariner solo series from 1968. Since i had to skip them the last time I'm planning on doing a reread of silver age sub-mariner next year.

They need to start an epic collection with him already. I held off on buying the Masterworks hoping they would eventually start an epic line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I love that Severin cover. Other than Everett, she's the other silver age artist who draws his face the way i like it. That's my one complaint about Gene Colan is he seems to struggle getting Namor's face just right.

FYI, Marvel finally added the missing issues of the Sub-Mariner solo series from 1968. Since i had to skip them the last time I'm planning on doing a reread of silver age sub-mariner next year.

They need to start an epic collection with him already. I held off on buying the Masterworks hoping they would eventually start an epic line.

That's exactly it! Except, for me, it's John Buscema and Marie Severin.

No, Colan's strength isn't in drawing features. He draws everyone's face a bit distorted.

That's awesome! I just looked, and I think except for the 1990s run, most of Namor's non-Golden Age solos are at Comixology / Marvel.com.

I would love to see Namor's books in the Epic line, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. It took FOREVER for Marvel to do a single Essential for Namor. So sad. OTOH, we've actually gotten quite a high percentage of his runs in print, even if they are a bit pricey. And if you check eBay or some of the discount sellers, you can pick up the Marvel Masterworks for Namor for about the same price as Epics non-discounted.

Coolness! That's my next project too. To restart the Subby Readathon.

I like that the epic's try to grab all of a characters appearances vs the masterworks sticking to the main series for the most part. So even if i could get the masterworks for the same price as an epic i would still prefer the epic.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    plus he has the very aristocratic cigarette holder. That seemed to be a thing in comics back in the 70s and 80s, but mostly for villains. The Red Skull and Doom were both pictured with one. I think both Namor and Victor gave up smoking for their health

I like that the epic's try to grab all of a characters appearances vs the masterworks sticking to the main series for the most part. So even if i could get the masterworks for the same price as an epic i would still prefer the epic.
    It seems to me that they slowed down the releases of the Masterworks but maybe I just haven't been keeping up. But I do have one of the Epic editions, the Private War of Doctor Doom since it contains the issues related to a crossover with Avengers and Super-Villain Team Up #9.

Ah, didn't think of that. Yes, for sure, Epics are more likely to add out of series title if relevant. Of course, the main problem with the Epics is that they jump around so much. They allegedly are trying to publish the titles that aren't collected first. I WOULD probably double dip for Namor. I do have the MMW and the lone Essential. Plus, I've double dipped on the Byrne run, because of the Omnibus. And I've double dipped on the Invaders, because of the Complete Collections. Hmmmm. I should go through my books and donate to my library. They don't have enough Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It seems to me that they slowed down the releases of the Masterworks but maybe I just haven't been keeping up. But I do have one of the Epic editions, the Private War of Doctor Doom since it contains the issues related to a crossover with Avengers and Super-Villain Team Up #9.
    I think I have that one in hardcover. A classic story line!

I don't think the Master Works have slowed down, so much as added more books / characters that they are collecting --which puts off adding volumes to the previously established titles. MTIO and MTU both have been added. I think Spider Woman and Ms Marvel were also added. OTOH, they've stopped the Golden Age stuff, for the most part. And like I said before, they actually finished Namor's Silver / Bronze Age run. I'm not sure how much of the Golden Age stuff is left, but they've collected all of the Everett Subby stuff, which, of course, the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Ah, didn't think of that. Yes, for sure, Epics are more likely to add out of series title if relevant. Of course, the main problem with the Epics is that they jump around so much. They allegedly are trying to publish the titles that aren't collected first. I WOULD probably double dip for Namor. I do have the MMW and the lone Essential. Plus, I've double dipped on the Byrne run, because of the Omnibus. And I've double dipped on the Invaders, because of the Complete Collections. Hmmmm. I should go through my books and donate to my library. They don't have enough Namor.

I think I have that one in hardcover. A classic story line!

I don't think the Master Works have slowed down, so much as added more books / characters that they are collecting --which puts off adding volumes to the previously established titles. MTIO and MTU both have been added. I think Spider Woman and Ms Marvel were also added. OTOH, they've stopped the Golden Age stuff, for the most part. And like I said before, they actually finished Namor's Silver / Bronze Age run. I'm not sure how much of the Golden Age stuff is left, but they've collected all of the Everett Subby stuff, which, of course, the best of it.
    I ended up getting the Sub-Mariner's Masterworks up to the one that includes my favorite Doom/Namor story and that is the one written by Gerry Conway issues 47-49. I was tempted to get the Byrne/Jae Lee Omni but I am running out of room and cutting back on expenses for now

6 Days to Christmas

Fantastic Four Annual #8
    by John Romita Sr.
    Cover Date December 1970

This was a reprint of the classic Fantastic Four Annual #1, and my introduction to the story, as the original predates my comic book collecting. Needless to say, it made an impression. The cover was amazing. The legions of Atlantis filling the streets of NYC. The FF captured and in a clear prison, which Namor stands on while directing the invasion. The perspective, emphasized by the title / sub-title overlayed on the side of the building, is used to great effect, and draws the eye to Namor and his floating prison. Romita draws a compact, Namor with clean lines, that I enjoy, for a variety of reasons, including nostalgia. I almost picked the cover of Subby 67, with Romita's iconic black suit introduction, but this one has a lot more going on, IMO.

And it may be heresy, but I think Romita's cover works so much better than the original by Kirby, which, as I've mentioned before, is strangely static, to say the least.

Jack Kirby's original cover.