Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I've never seen that cover for annual #8 before. I think i would have been disappointed if i had bought it only to find early silver age art inside.

That being said the Annual #1 story was what cemented Subby being an awesome character for me. My first jump into Marvel comics was with FF masterworks vol. 1 in 2013. And the Sub-Mariner issues were easily my favorite. So by the time i got to Annual #1 in the essentials he was my favorite FF villain.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I've never seen that cover for annual #8 before. I think i would have been disappointed if i had bought it only to find early silver age art inside.

That being said the Annual #1 story was what cemented Subby being an awesome character for me. My first jump into Marvel comics was with FF masterworks vol. 1 in 2013. And the Sub-Mariner issues were easily my favorite. So by the time i got to Annual #1 in the essentials he was my favorite FF villain.
    Really? Wow, that's a great start to Marvel comics! And yes, Namor was used quite a bit at the start of the Silver Age -- he was the most well known character they had at that point. And of course, the most fully developed. Though, even back then, Stan Lee was making changes to the character.

I might have been, except it was Kirby. Even early Silver Age Kirby was impressive. Plus, it was an EPIC story. Though, I admit, there was a time when I conflated this cover with Romita's own Namor invasion of NYC in FF 102 - 104.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I have that Romita cover annual, love that book. His Namor is perfect on the cover and I usually don't like Romita's Namor.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I was too young for that first FF annual but I did start getting some of them later on. We didn't have comic shops back then and my dad went to a local magazine store, which no longer exist these days. It did have a bookie in the back room where he would place my older sister's pick for the Kentucky Derby or some other stakes race. Cops knew it was there but looked the other way.

But for quite a while the availability of annuals or other oversized comics were spotty. I didn't get one until the first LCS opened in our area and he had a few back issues and he had an FF annual #2. Never did find an annual #1.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Another thing this latest cover reminds me of is how in Marvels, Namor's army walks the streets of new york while he flies overhead. Maybe that's a call back to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    plus he has the very aristocratic cigarette holder. That seemed to be a thing in comics back in the 70s and 80s, but mostly for villains. The Red Skull and Doom were both pictured with one. I think both Namor and Victor gave up smoking for their health
    LOL, well then they made the right choice XD. I think that years later Marvel themselves banned smoking in the comics, because the Thing, Logan, and Gambit were smokers but now they aren't.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Another thing this latest cover reminds me of is how in Marvels, Namor's army walks the streets of new york while he flies overhead. Maybe that's a call back to this?

LOL, well then they made the right choice XD. I think that years later Marvel themselves banned smoking in the comics, because the Thing, Logan, and Gambit were smokers but now they aren't.
    That was a Joe Q thing. I think a relative died from cancer and he made it mostly a company wide policy. I think there have been a few transgressions though...I don't know how hands on he is these days.

5 Days to Christmas

Sub-Mariner Comics #2
    by Alex Schomburg
    Cover Date Summer 1941

I had way too many Golden Age covers to choose from, but I love how this one shows Namor returning the torpedo to the Nazis.

I see this modern cover as a nod the classic Golden Age cover above. Sort of a One Minute Before ... or From a Different POV.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

That's a a great vintage look to that cover....who did it?

That's a a great vintage look to that cover....who did it?
    It's Mitch Breitweiser. He did a couple of period books at the time. I think he moved on to children's books or indy comics or something. I haven't seen him at Marvel for years.

4 Days to Christmas

Avengers Invaders #5 variant
    by Mike Deodato
    Cover Date December 2008

Except for that Wolverine hair, I usually enjoy Deodato's Namor. He's incredibly muscled, but not musclebound, and ferally beautiful. Deodato really went to town with this cover, IMO, and increased the action with the turbulent water encircling the fighting pair. This was a variant for Avengers Invaders, which had all Alex Ross covers and a ton of cool variants which usually had Namor. I don't recall Namor actually taking on Ms. Marvel in the series, but I it made for a great cover.

Plus, Deodato, like some of my other favorite artists, uses dramatic chiaroscuro. That's even more clear in the original inked version.

I really like Deodato's work from a few years back. His Dark Avengers with Bendis is one of my favorites from that era. He doesn't seem to be doing much at Marvel, unless I just don't buy whatever title he is on. I am going to have to look up that series because I don't think I read that one.

Astonishing Member

I really like Deodato's work from a few years back. His Dark Avengers with Bendis is one of my favorites from that era. He doesn't seem to be doing much at Marvel, unless I just don't buy whatever title he is on. I am going to have to look up that series because I don't think I read that one.
    He has recently left Marvel. He announced earlier this year that his run on SAVAGE AVENGERS would be his final project for Marvel before leaving to devote his time exclusively to creator-owned work.

Deodato only did that variant cover, IIRC. Steve Sadowski did the interior art in Avengers Invaders. Or where you talking about Mitch Breitweiser? Besides that Subby Anniversay one shot, I believe he did the Patriot mini-series, which I remember fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    He has recently left Marvel. He announced earlier this year that his run on SAVAGE AVENGERS would be his final project for Marvel before leaving to devote his time exclusively to creator-owned work.
    The Big 2 really need to up their rates / offer better terms. They lose a lot of their talent to the creator owned, because the pay and the rights are much better for name creators.

3 Days to Christmas

Namor the Sub-Mariner #49
    by Geof Isherwood
    Cover Date April 1994

Geof Isherwood was basically the 3rd artist on the 1990s Namor run. There are definitely things I appreciate about his Namor, but I don't count him amongst my all time favorite Namor artists. Maybe it's the pony tail. But this cover, is definitely one of my favorites, it is just so ... over the top.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Sad that Deodato left Marvel, I really liked his work on the New Avengers/Illuminati art. Great posts though Rev!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis