Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Patsy Walker, Hellcat Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "Hellcat Appreciation" thread, which can be found at
    From the previous version (originally created by Psycwave back in May of 2014):
    Who is Hellcat? Avenger. Defender. Lady Liberator. Author. Heartthrob. Teen Heroine. Icon. All American Girl Next Door.

Discover and learn to love our all around girl next door and lovable hero, Patsy. First appearing in Miss America Magazine in 1944 eventually branching off into her own series that helped paved the way for GIRL COMICS all across the world. At one time marrying the Son of Satan and being driven into madness, even death would keep the great Patsy down. She came back looking better than ever.

In this thread we will discuss her endeavors, lovers, hopes and dreams, wonder if Hedy is somewhere seething and appreciate the wonderful Patsy Walker. If you didn't know who she was before, you'll most definitely know now.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Ah, Patsy. I have loved her ever since I discovered her in an old issue of Defenders as a little kid and asked my mom if it was ok to say her name (since ya know...it's got a BAD word in it. lol) I tried to like her recent series but the art just didn't appeal to me, but it hasn't deterred my love. I wish Marvel would give her another romp in a mini series or in a team book. She's fun, she's full of sass and will kick your ass. We definitely need more Patsy Walker on the stands.

For the record, it appears that Patsy first appeared in Miss America Magazine #2 (November 1944):

She had a long string of appearances between then and the mid-1960s appearing in comic book stories that were not exactly the superhero stories most of us might not first think of when we think of Marvel Comics, but she did make a guest-cameo (along with her friend Hedy Wolfe) in Fantastic Four Annual #3 (1965), the story where Reed Richards and Susan Storm were married.
    (But then again, practically everyone who's anyone appeared there!)

And then in 1972, Patsy started showing up in The Beast's story published in Amazing Adventures, first appearing with her then-husband Buzz in issue #13:

As an old Defenders fan, I still sort of ship Patsy and Hellstrom.

Also super bummed that the Marvel Netflixs shows seem to be going the way of the dinosaur, as they JUST gave Patsy powers. If Jessica gets another season, I'm sure we'll be getting Hellcat but it doesn't seem meant to be. Ah well... hopefuly a few years down the road the Net Flixs crew will make their way to some other corner of the MU.

After the Best Defense mini-series, I really hope the Defenders come back with an ongoing book, but with Valkyrie and Hellcat as members as well!
    And I want that Hellcat to be the goofy gal we know Patsy to be, but also the serious super-hero she was as well!

Always like the idea of Patsy/Hellcat. She was at her best in the Defenders but it's a shame that a character with such an extensive history in comics and at Marvel isn't made to be a bigger name. I'm not a huge fan of hers since Marvel's use of her hasn't been great but Hellcat really should be Marvel's leading lady. Just by longevity alone.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Patsy! One of my all time favorite ladies.
    I'd love to see her pop-up in a new Defenders book or a mini series from Leah Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Always like the idea of Patsy/Hellcat. She was at her best in the Defenders but it's a shame that a character with such an extensive history in comics and at Marvel isn't made to be a bigger name. I'm not a huge fan of hers since Marvel's use of her hasn't been great but Hellcat really should be Marvel's leading lady. Just by longevity alone.
    I think her problem unfortunately is that her name is sort of attached to a franchise that's mostly dead. Being a Defender hasn't meant a whole lot in the past couple decades. And despite this new Defenders book coming out, I honestly doubt it will decades from now.

I think her best best is to either rediscover her Avengers roots, or perhaps carve more of a niche on the street level side of things. Maybe have her become friends with Jessica Jones.

I really enjoyed the beat of her being Shulkie's main PI during the Soule run. I think it would be fun to take that route with her and add in some of the mystical elements. Almost a mix of Jessica Jones/Doctor Strange.

Besides seeing her and Val rejoin the Defenders, I would also love to see Christos Gage do a Hellcat/Tigra mini-series!

Don't know how others felt about it, but I absolutely loved Kate Leth & Britney William's fairly recent Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat. I thought her character was incredibly fun and also very heartfelt, just like the rest of the book. I love how it was able to integrate various elements of Patsy's history, while giving its own sense of identity. It was just all around an incredibly sweet book to me.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed the recent series as well. I found it to be a very charming read, with that being said as someone who has not read much of Patsy elsewhere I can't speak as a long time fan.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . And then in 1972, Patsy started showing up in The Beast's story published in Amazing Adventures . . .
    In 1975, when the Beast was trying out to be an Avenger, guess who starts showing uplooking for him?

from Avengers #139 (September 1975):

from Avengers #140 (October 1975)

and a couple of scenes in Avengers #141 (November 1975)

(And by the way, she does catch up with Hank a little later in that issue, and then the fun begins!)

I loved the Avengers when Patsy first hung around with them. Good stories.

But I miss Patsy and Valkyrie's friendship and interaction.

So, the big question is if we do legacy numbering on a new Hellcat book, should we include the original Patsy Walker series?