Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Is Stilt-Man a goofy villain?

All people say that Stilt-Man is a goofy, and all bad villain, but I donīt see the problem whit him.

Can you explain me what is wrong?

He is goofy, he is still a good villain and a great chatacter. I've stanned him since that one issue of 80's ASM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Let's face it, it's the name. If they'd called him something else then we'd be able to focus on his having a pretty cool design that allows for a lot of interesting art. But "Stilt-Man" makes it sound like he's just some guy on stilts. It's very much like Paste-Pot Pete, but they actually changed his name.

why hasn't he moved elsewhere where there are less skyscraper buildings to have to navigate around or cars to bump into? Iowa, let's say. Oklahoma. Nebraska.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Union Comics View Post
    All people say that Stilt-Man is a goofy, and all bad villain, but I donīt see the problem whit him.

Can you explain me what is wrong?
    It's because his name and then usage as a joke character as a result turn him into a character people don't take seriously. Basically if you treat something as one thing long enough it tends to take on that identity even if it is accurate or not. Stilt man has potential to be the technological counterpart to Giant-Man or tell stories involving height like creating creative usages of bank robberies or even stories about missing limbs given his transportation is one giant prosthesis. But no, he's treated as a joke because people here that it's a guy on robotic stilts and just write him off.

It would be as if we took the Hulk and just said that it was a guy who got angry and broke things. It doesn't matter if there's more to it than that or if it has potential, if that's how the public and by result Marvel sees it, they keep doing it. Stilt Man could be a really fun character beyond the punch-line so here's to the vain hope somebody uses him.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

He's alive again and he did appear in Mark Waid's Daredevil run. But there was a memorable funeral service for him in Punisher: War Journal #4. As if the casket wasn't wild enough, then the widow showed up for his wake at the Bar with No Name. So Wilbur must have had something going on there

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Of course he’s goofy, but there’s plenty of room in the MU for goofy villains. Not everyone can be Thanos right?

stilts are inherently goofy, on purpose. it's not the best way to get away with burglary. he's not exactly hard to spot. and his identity is no longer a secret.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

His goofy but that isn't a bad thing. Being goofy doesn't negate him from being a threat either.

The joy of superhero universe comics is a wide variety of different types of villains and heroes.

All-New Member

Thank you, iīm not from a english speaking country so itīs difficult to me to sometimes understand somethingīs.

Mighty Member

I think my first Daredevil book was #48 Jan. 1969 (the cover is considered kind of rude these days) and I thought then the stilts were artificial legs.

It depends on who writes him. Look what Dennis Hopeless did with the new Porcupine. He turned him from a laughingstock into a superhero. He even kicked Sandman’s butt. He was actually very like-able at the end of his Spider-Woman run. Great run by the way. The same could be done with Stilt-Man. Spencer is doing something similar with Boomerang in Amazing Spider-Man. It all depends on the writer. I have a soft spot for all of these D-listers. Mark Gruenwald did a great story on the death of the original Porcupine in the pages of Captain America. Been a fan ever since. A great writer can take a character like Stilt-Man and give him depth. A good back story usually helps as well. Pair them with a like-able character and there you go. Spidey and Boomerang together has been kind of cool. I find the Thanos type characters to much. To powerful. To many heroes to take them down. I like these laughable villains. They are fun. Superior Foes of Spider-Man was awesome. Stilty could have been on this team. I bought Superior Spider-Nan just for the Stilt-Man’s appearance. There is a place for these guys in comics and with fans. I play my Heroclix Stilt-Man figure every chance I get at tournaments.

Extraordinary Member

There was a Daredevil issue a little while back where Matt actually comments on this. You look at him and think 'so what...he gets tall' but then actually explains why he is so dangerous.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

She-Hulk thought he was goofy way back.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    She-Hulk thought he was goofy way back.

Looks like he showed her. Lol.