Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 549
  1. #481
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If you follow what is was saying, I said African American male mutants!?! This poc label has become a very clever way to dismiss away the inclusion of black males. Something this X-office editors and writers are illustrating to perfection.
    You’re replying to the wrong person. I agree in some respects about the laziness that comes with the ‘POC’ label, but I’m fascinated at how you always center this around black men and black men only.

  2. #482
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Isn’t Apocalypse black?

  3. #483
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Isn’t Apocalypse black?
    Blue. So don't count. Lol A form of erasure & discount used for some black characters.

    He's ancient Egyptian with a brown complexion. Now if he's Nubian / Black is questionable.

  4. #484
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    So does Maggott not count?

  5. #485
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    So does Maggott not count?
    Maggott can switch back and forth between his blue skinned form. It's like how Warren can turn into Archangel, Monet can turn into Penance or Sunspot can power up.

    There's potential there for him to be visible as a black man, unfortunately in his few appearances since coming back to life he's only been shown blue skinned.

  6. #486
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You’re replying to the wrong person. I agree in some respects about the laziness that comes with the ‘POC’ label, but I’m fascinated at how you always center this around black men and black men only.
    They center it because that is a very real issue. Marvel comics is an american based company. So you would expect to see Black man as they are a part of American culture. Many of the posters who are concerned with representation bring up it broadly in terms of race, gender, sexuality, etc. However if you look at the lack of Black men of color in the x books in particular the lack of Black men you can see a pattern.

    Technically the first Black male x man is Sunspot. He is not African american but he is Black regardless of what some believe. That was what 1982.Sunspot is Black but his blackness seems to be questionable by some fans despite his origin story centering his Blackness and many characters referencing it aka during the Asgardian wars-Both he and storm were called dusky skinned. Then the next Black male x man was Bishop.He was introduced in 1991. His blackness was also questioned when they connected him to Gateway. Then the next Black man was Synch who was introduced in 1994. Then Maggot(1997), then Shola(2002) or Prodigy (2003) then Gentle (2006), Triage(2013).

    You mean to tell me its ok that x men comics that started in 1963 has only had introduced 8 Black men.. In 56 years they have only created and introduced approx 8 Black male mutants as x men or xmen adjacent .. 6 out of the 8 character have extremely minor or very brief runs in the comics...

  7. #487
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    12,175

    Default

    Yes, god, I get it. I’m black. My problem is that this discussion always centers on men instead of a broader attempt to include more black men, women, and non-binary mutants. Almost reminds me of a hotep movement. It is embedded anti-blackness (whether it’s explicit or implicit bias will probably be up to you) that has kept the number of black men that low for this long. It’s a problem that should never stop being talked about. But then again, I’ve involved myself in conversation like this where they were only concerned with “straight black male” representation. Hopefully you can see why that’s super shitty.
    Last edited by Tycon; 12-07-2019 at 07:53 PM.

  8. #488
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    11,148

    Default

    Yeah, I think black women don't really have it great either? Storm is always being used, yeah, but sometimes it's almost like writers pick her as a token. It's been ages since she actually had a good story about her being told. Then there's Monet, who also faces the same kind of whitewashing by both fans and artists as Sunspot, and... Reyes? who's not used that much. I can't think of a fourth one.

    I understand though where that kind of feeling comes from. I often get frustrated when it comes to gay characters. When there are other kinds of LGBT representation, it also makes me happy, but I've come to realize that male gay character is what I personally care about the most if I'm being honest.

  9. #489
    Mighty Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Havok’s a sub bitch.
    This entire team's a bunch of sub bitches out for revenge! Sign me the fuck up. These are the Visigoth bottoms of your nightmares.

  10. #490
    Mighty Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Gibney reverted to his pre-Wildheart characterization. The Weapon X-era dogboy stuff was pretty unappealing.
    WildHeart is a revelation. Give him heels and let him be the Emma of this team. Empath is already the 90's Psylocke.

  11. #491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    WildHeart is a revelation. Give him heels and let him be the Emma of this team. Empath is already the 90's Psylocke.
    Wildheart was his heroic persona, though. That's why I doubt we're going to see that in a book where the villains are the selling point.

  12. #492
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Is this 616 Wild Child or AoA Wild Child?

  13. #493
    Mighty Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    They center it because that is a very real issue. Marvel comics is an american based company. So you would expect to see Black man as they are a part of American culture. Many of the posters who are concerned with representation bring up it broadly in terms of race, gender, sexuality, etc. However if you look at the lack of Black men of color in the x books in particular the lack of Black men you can see a pattern.

    Technically the first Black male x man is Sunspot. He is not African american but he is Black regardless of what some believe. That was what 1982.Sunspot is Black but his blackness seems to be questionable by some fans despite his origin story centering his Blackness and many characters referencing it aka during the Asgardian wars-Both he and storm were called dusky skinned. Then the next Black male x man was Bishop.He was introduced in 1991. His blackness was also questioned when they connected him to Gateway. Then the next Black man was Synch who was introduced in 1994. Then Maggot(1997), then Shola(2002) or Prodigy (2003) then Gentle (2006), Triage(2013).

    You mean to tell me its ok that x men comics that started in 1963 has only had introduced 8 Black men.. In 56 years they have only created and introduced approx 8 Black male mutants as x men or xmen adjacent .. 6 out of the 8 character have extremely minor or very brief runs in the comics...
    Thank you for the eloquence of your commentary. It's cool to know there are others that just get it. This grouping represents more of the same old stuff at the X-office. It's not likely to last to long anyways.

  14. #494
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Yeah, I think black women don't really have it great either? Storm is always being used, yeah, but sometimes it's almost like writers pick her as a token. It's been ages since she actually had a good story about her being told. Then there's Monet, who also faces the same kind of whitewashing by both fans and artists as Sunspot, and... Reyes? who's not used that much. I can't think of a fourth one.
    This is a very good point. As far as black, female X-Men goes we have Storm, introduced in 1974 and then we don't get another til Frenzy - as a villain - in 1986, Shard in 1993 Monet in 1994, Angel Salvadore in 2001, and Bling! in 2005.

    There's a fairly significant lack of black representation among the X-Men and superheroes in comics, but that's also a symptom of there being a lack of PoC representation in general. How many Latinx characters are regularly appearing in the DoX books? One, Rictor. How many Native Americans? One, Mirage. Black characters don't have it much better, but a lack of them is symptomatic rather than an isolated problem.

    And actually now that I think of it I'm surprised at the sheer amount of Asian characters who are involved in the X-Books right now. Karma, Psylocke, Armor, Mondo, Jubilee...

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  15. #495
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    .
    You mean to tell me its ok that x men comics that started in 1963 has only had introduced 8 Black men.. In 56 years they have only created and introduced approx 8 Black male mutants as x men or xmen adjacent .. 6 out of the 8 character have extremely minor or very brief runs in the comics...
    Bruh it's craaaazy to think the first AA X-Man debuted 50 fvcking years after X-Men#1 by craaaazy I mean disappointing, frustrating, sad...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Ive involved myself in conversation like this where they were only concerned with “straight black male” representation. Hopefully you can see why that’s super shitty.
    I don't think anyone has made that distinction tho?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    This is a very good point. As far as black, female X-Men goes we have Storm, introduced in 1974 and then we don't get another til Frenzy - as a villain - in 1986, Shard in 1993 Monet in 1994, Angel Salvadore in 2001, and Bling! in 2005.
    Dude good post buuut
    Damn black ladies need some X-Love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    There's a fairly significant lack of black representation among the X-Men and superheroes in comics, but that's also a symptom of there being a lack of PoC representation in general. How many Latinx characters are regularly appearing in the DoX books? One, Rictor. How many Native Americans? One, Mirage. Black characters don't have it much better, but a lack of them
    What about Forge.... Proudstar....
    But considering how many black people love the X-Men, and how much the metaphor 'borrowed' from White America's reaction to Black civil rights you'd..(I guess not expect) but HOPE X-Men can do a liiiil better than having 1˝Black dudes and ZERO AA dudes on any of the fvcking team
    Last edited by BroHomo; 12-08-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •