Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yeah, out of all the series Stan wrote for in the 60s, Amazing Spider-Man is the one I hear praised the most, followed by Fantastic Four and Avengers, and a lot other stuff seems to end up being hit or miss with people. His Hulk and Daredevil stories seem to be the ones that are not cared for/disliked the most. I don't think I've ever heard anyone favor those, even when you don't compare them to the Peter David and Frank Miller stories.
    Stan Lee only wrote the Avengers for a short bit before passing it to Roy Thomas who really expanded upon it. For his run on FF and The Mighty Thor, he had Jack Kirby doing the heavy lifting.

On the whole, I think Lee is a case of being in the right-place, right-time with the right-people, and that brought out the best in him. This is evidenced by the fact that Lee never really had luck creating any new characters after that period outside that. I mean after Marvel, Kirby created the New Gods. Ditko, after Marvel worked at Charlton and created The Question, Captain Atom, The Creeper and he also turned out top quality work for Warren's horror comics.

Lee had the smallest career of the lot and it's especially interesting if you think about the characters that really broke big after Kirby and Ditko left. I am talking of Wolverine, The Punisher, Thanos, Ultron...none of whom were created by Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    As probably one of the few who was around when Stan was writing I can say that when you compare what Stan was doing as opposed to DC was doing at that time you will really appreciate Stan all the more. DC had to up the game when they realized that Marvel was gaining on them in sales. Marvel would eventually take over the #1 spot in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
    DC was ahead of its time in the 1930s and 1940s with their concepts and ideas.

This was from a 1940s comic, this is the type of stuff you would see in Thor 20 years later.

Hawkman story from the 40s, the art is so badass how can you not like it? He just killed a henchmen without remorse right there.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 12-03-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yeah, Hawkman is a reincarnation of an Egyptian prince, the Spectre is a killed cop who goes on a crusade against crime as a spirit, Doctor Fate is a trained sorcerer who's occasionally possessed by a god, etc.

A spirit fighting a monk on the rings of Saturn is pretty ahead of its time I would say.

Now be quiet and kindly move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Stan Lee only wrote the Avengers for a short bit before passing it to Roy Thomas who really expanded upon it.
    I'd say Avengers #16 is the biggest highlight from Stan's issues he helped contribute (along with others of course), and Roy Thomas definitely added a lot of good material to the series as well. I can't quite say the same for X-Men though. Stan's era was a decent start, but after that, Roy was all over the place and failed at good consistency until the Sentinels were given another story arc.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 12-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

This was from a 1940s comic, this is the type of stuff you would see in Thor 20 years later.

Hawkman story from the 40s, the art is so badass how can you not like it? He just killed a henchmen without remorse right there.
    Well one could counter that with Sub-Mariner and Captain America. But the topic is Stan Lee's influence on the industry in the 60s and 70s

Yes, Stan Lee revolutionized storytelling in the comics, no one is denying that.

But DC had crazy stuff going on in their comics too, it's not just Superman dancing.

Page of what I think is one of the more memorable exchanges Stan is credited with writing (Fantastic Four #49, 1966):