Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default David Corenswet next in line for cinematic Supes?

Courtesy of the Superman Homepage:

"Entertainment Weekly has published an interview with actor David Corenswet, who is currently starring in Netflix’s “The Politician”, with the 26-year-old actor aware many people think he looks like Henry Cavill, saying he’d be very interested in following in Cavill’s footsteps and playing the role of Superman.

“It came to my attention before the internet got a hold of me,” he tells EW. “But my pie-in-the-sky ambition is definitely to play Superman. I would love to see somebody do an upbeat, throwback [take on Superman]. I love the Henry Cavill dark and gritty take, but I would love to see the next one be very bright and optimistic.”

Fans can next catch Corenswet in Ryan Murphy’s “Hollywood”, a limited series for Netflix set in the world of Hollywood’s post-war studio system, which he both stars in and produces.

If Warner Bros. is done with Cavill, could you see Corenswet being the next actor to wear the blue tights and red cape?"

This is David Corenswet:

26 years old, 6'4".

Here is the EW article.

Starring in something called "The Politician".

I mean, I still like Cavill, but if he is on the outside with WB, this doesn't look like a bad replacement (first impression).

Anyone watch his stuff? Would love to read some informed opinions ...
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-02-2019 at 10:22 PM.

I know nothing about this actor, but judging by that picture he can totally pull off the hair curl, plus he's the right height. So if nothing else he's got the look down.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like that people also happen to compare him to Armie Hammer, my ideal Superman, but it would be all about making the role his own. The Cavill thing reminds me of that very bad idea they had to have Routh play Reeve playing Superman. His own opinion is exactly what people want to hear.

Good, serious face (when serious, which is definitely not always) and nice voice, but it would take him a while to look good in costume.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think we really need a bright and optimistic Superman so much as we should have a confident Superman. As much acclaim as Christopher Reeve gets, I think George Reeves made for a more realistic Superman.
    I think the problem was Christopher Reeve was played a character that was too good, too nice, too sweet. The Big Blue Boy Scout. So to compensate they made Cavill play a character that wasn't as nice, bitter,
    a bit of a jerk. With George Reeves we had a Superman that was tough and no-nonsense but still kind to the weak and less fortunate. That is the Superman that should be emulated. If you mess up you are going
    to pay for it, but if you need a helping hand, there is a strong hand reaching out to you.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't think we really need a bright and optimistic Superman so much as we should have a confident Superman. As much acclaim as Christopher Reeve gets, I think George Reeves made for a more realistic Superman.
    I think the problem was Christopher Reeve was played a character that was too good, too nice, too sweet. The Big Blue Boy Scout. So to compensate they made Cavill play a character that wasn't as nice, bitter,
    a bit of a jerk. With George Reeves we had a Superman that was tough and no-nonsense but still kind to the weak and less fortunate. That is the Superman that should be emulated. If you mess up you are going
    to pay for it, but if you need a helping hand, there is a strong hand reaching out to you.
    Couldn't agree more.

SUPERMAN in SUPERMAN VS THE MOLE MEN is what I'd like to see.

Fantastic Member

I disagree!! We do need a bright and optimistic superman!! That why the man of steel and Batman vs Superman didn't work. Because they portrayed Superman as being dark and gritty!! I don't get it?? What's so appealing about a dark and gritty Superman!! That not Superman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Too good, too nice, too sweet yeah right.

Superlad actually suggested him as an option in another thread and said he’s a good actor so sure, I’d be willing to give him a chance. If he’s enthusiastic about the role and WB gives him the job I wouldn’t stay away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Lmao both Donner Superman fans and haters kinda forget what a dick Reeve Superman could be.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Courtesy of the Superman Homepage:

"Entertainment Weekly has published an interview with actor David Corenswet, who is currently starring in Netflix’s “The Politician”, with the 26-year-old actor aware many people think he looks like Henry Cavill, saying he’d be very interested in following in Cavill’s footsteps and playing the role of Superman.

“It came to my attention before the internet got a hold of me,” he tells EW. “But my pie-in-the-sky ambition is definitely to play Superman. I would love to see somebody do an upbeat, throwback [take on Superman]. I love the Henry Cavill dark and gritty take, but I would love to see the next one be very bright and optimistic.”

Fans can next catch Corenswet in Ryan Murphy’s “Hollywood”, a limited series for Netflix set in the world of Hollywood’s post-war studio system, which he both stars in and produces.

If Warner Bros. is done with Cavill, could you see Corenswet being the next actor to wear the blue tights and red cape?"

This is David Corenswet:

26 years old, 6'4".

Here is the EW article.

Starring in something called "The Politician".

I mean, I still like Cavill, but if he is on the outside with WB, this doesn't look like a bad replacement (first impression).

Anyone watch his stuff? Would love to read some informed opinions ...

I've seen him before being compared to Cavill and Superman. Haven't seen him act, but I really like his look for the character and he has the right age. Wonder how he sounds.

It seems his people are trying to push him to get the role, but we need a director first. The casting comes after that. I just want another great Superman movie, with or without Cavill.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    It's fair enough because Cavill gets described as being dark or gritty (bitter even) without the credit of just being in context. His portrayal really isn't dark or cynical itself, or at least to an inappropriate degree considering his takes were through darker stories firmly in the New 52 era of source material. Whereas Reeve was in the harmless, rather happy go lucky stretch of 1978-1987.

Of course I think Reeve is great, but he's far too big an idol. To the point where Corenswet's height is brought up as "perfect." Reeves holds up perfectly well as Superman and he didn't look a thing like any of the later guys. Well maybe Cain, and comics through some artists giving Superman a soft looking midsection.

Corenswet says what a lot of people think, but I don't believe many people really know what they want. They'll get a sweeter, brighter Superman and then call him a boyscout.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Lmao both Donner Superman fans and haters kinda forget what a dick Reeve Superman could be.
    Hate and love are too extreme for me in regards to any of those movies, but I tend to remember that stuff most strongly and it takes away from what I do like.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I disagree!! We do need a bright and optimistic superman!! That why the man of steel and Batman vs Superman didn't work. Because they portrayed Superman as being dark and gritty!! I don't get it?? What's so appealing about a dark and gritty Superman!! That not Superman!!
    No one suggested he should be dark and gritty. They were talking about a closer to his roots no-nonsense good guy ala the old 50's tv show (which no one would call dark and gritty). Why do fans always forget there's a middle ground between bright and optimistic and dark and gritty? I mean, don't most of us kind of live somewhere in the middle?

I detest the Reeve movie so hopefully they stay far away from that. Superman deals with far too much evil, too much death, & just too many problems to go around smiling & saving cats. Captain America is a good guy too and is an inspiration but he also kicks ass.

I’d rather they stay with Cavill. He’s what made me like Superman. However, if they’re not going to use him, I’d rather they go the Val-Zod direction. I’d rather see something completely different if we can’t get Cavill.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have to agree with both he optimistic and confident Superman. Just because he has seen evil and death doesn't mean he can't be optimistic. Reeve's Superman gets tagged for being naive (certainly his Clark) and there is a huge difference between naive and optimistic that many confuse. That is what I would like to see in a Superman movie...I think the Lois & Clark series was closer to what I see Superman as being and how I would like to see a big budget Superman character act.

Can we not get in another off topic "grimdark vs dah light!" debate that's been going on since Man of Steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can we not get in another off topic "grimdark vs dah light!" debate that's been going on since Man of Steel?
    Superman is a versatile character. He can work in many different tones. The true kryptonite of the last like 5 or 6 movies is the messy writing.