Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I'm confused about the incident with the injured minor. They arrested a man and then realized he had nothing to do with it? If that's true how does her injury relate to the harassment that cosplayers face?
    It relates because when people assumed she'd been assaulted, people were "claiming the girl was asking for it all by the way she was dressed".

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    It relates because when people assumed she'd been assaulted, people were "claiming the girl was asking for it all by the way she was dressed".
    Wow. Seriously I don't understand the total lack of empathy it takes to say that about a girl that was found unconscious and hurt.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Wow. Seriously I don't understand the total lack of empathy it takes to say that about a girl that was found unconscious and hurt.
    The (subconscious) idea seems to be that if a bad thing only happened because the victim did something - that they've somehow caused it and it's their fault - then I don't have to worry about the bad thing ever happening to me. With sexual harassment, it's also a way for guys to make the idea it's bad go away - "they wanted the attention!" - so they don't have to feel like they're bad people for doing it.

For an example of this in practice, check most of the people posting after you did. Lots of "IT'S THEIR OWN FAULT THE BAD THING HAPPENS I WOULD NEVER DO THAT" and comparing dressing sexy to deliberately baiting black people with the Confederate flag and something about beta males (if we're talking beta males in ape gangs, it's the alpha male that's going to be the aggressive one). There's no problem at all!
    Last edited by Charles RB; 08-08-2014 at 04:30 AM.

We seem to spiral down the drain too often when the topic of sexual harassment is discussed on this board.
    Hence this thread will be kept under close watch. It doesn't matter what viewpoint you're expressing, if you can't do it in accordance with the rules, there will be consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Raph84 View Post
    let's face it, people are scum. Sad.
    Which doesn't excuse scum and anyone celebrating life or beauty or sex should still never be to get harassed. That's the point. To not be or help scum being scum.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Another word to the wise, if your post is some formulation of "They were asking for it," it's getting deleted. Even if it is couched in "I'm not saying that they were asking for it, but they were asking for it."

Here is my take on this - when a woman wears a swimsuit, be it a thong or one piece, out in public it is unlikely that she will be groped, she may be on the receiving end of some sexist comments but it is not likely that someone is going to try and squeeze her ass or touch her breasts. So why does it happen at comic cons? mainly because while a beach can be potentially crowded, a beach does not provide the cover needed for someone to essentially assault another person w/o witnesses unlike a major con.

In my mind there are a few ways to address the issue: (1) educate con attendees that cosplayers are not to be groped/verbally harassed, (2) increased security on the floor, (3) eject and confiscate the pass of anyone witnessed assaulting/harassing another attendee, and (4) either reduce the number of attendees per day or redesign the showrooms to reduce crowding in the walkways.

Just my two cents.

What have I always believed?
    That, on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, in the end, more or less, turn out all right.

Astonishing Member

Saying cosplay outfits at a con are over sexualized is rather like saying bikinis at a beach are over sexualized...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I love the costumes and pics of people dressing up. Cosplay for everyone should be fun and all. Once you cross that line , your stepping on someones happiness. Just picture that female cosplayer as your sister . Would you want someone treating her badly if she dressed up ? Of course not. You would be very angry if something happened to her.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

@Puma

the problem is that many cons have a very lax anti harassment policy and aren't motivated to change it for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    @Puma

the problem is that many cons have a very lax anti harassment policy and aren't motivated to change it for some reason
    Is that something you'd know or simply assume? It sounds pretty condemning to be saying that, and "for many cons" no less.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Is that something you'd know or simply assume? It sounds pretty condemning to be saying that, and "for many cons" no less.
    I can list the ones on the east coast that have an anti-harassment policy but aren't proactive about it...sure they have something on a website and who to contact but IMO it requires more than that...Emerald City Comic Con has a very pro active and very visible policy, its the model that should be followed, if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Here is my take on this - when a woman wears a swimsuit, be it a thong or one piece, out in public it is unlikely that she will be groped, she may be on the receiving end of some sexist comments but it is not likely that someone is going to try and squeeze her ass or touch her breasts. So why does it happen at comic cons?

My understanding from the admittedly very small group of cosplayers I know is that actual groping is very rare. Most convention harassment is verbal or people trying to take pictures of their asses without asking. None of that is acceptable, mind you, but the Adrianne Curry incident is the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by Don C; 08-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

One of the weirdest experiences I have had snapping pics at cons of costumes and more happened at Heroes Con one year I believe. I will always ask if I can snap a picture and compliment them on the costume. If they say sure (and thus far everyone has let me snap a pic) I will show them the image I snapped . One time a girl said she wanted me to do a pose and to delete that one image. I did and snapped it again which she liked .

But the weirdest is this lady who was dressed as Harley Quinn. I walked up and asked .."That is a great costume...can I snap a pic of it ?"

So she just stops...and stares at me like I'm insane or something. My buddy is standing beside me and whispers...maybe she didn't hear you. It is loud. So I repeat again louder . She again stares at me and never says a word. I debate this...is she playing Harley Quinn ? Maybe its part of the cosplay . So I raise the camera and snap the picture . I go to show her the image and she just walks right by me without saying a word or looking at it.

Now I have attended many cons and shows. Those on my FB friends list can see all the cosplay photos I have snapped over the years. Its the first time I never had someone even speak to me .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

that is...quite odd