Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EDITORIAL: Comic Cons, Cosplay and Consent

As the world of cosplay continues to grow, along with mass media awareness of it, now's a good time to remind everyone: Cosplay Is Not Consent.

Full article here.

All-New Member

We go to these shows to celebrate our heroes.

Wish more people would go to these shows to celebrate actual comics like they do in Europe, instead of celebrating corporate IP assets with comics playing third fiddle to film and television.

BANNED

More people will see a movie in one weekend, then will ever read a comic

the medium is changing

but to the OP....YES, the fact that the conversation even has to be had should be a glaring sign that this community has a serious f'ng problem wit how to conduct themselves

get it together

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    More people will see a movie in one weekend, then will ever read a comic

the medium is changing
    No, it isn't. The medium of comics is still the same. A film is a film, it doesn't become a part of comic book medium just because the used IP asset originated in a comic book.

BANNED

wrong wording, the perception of the medium is changing

you get more eyeballs on film and TV then you do for comics, comics are the foundation, tv and film are becoming the main event

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    wrong wording, the perception of the medium is changing

you get more eyeballs on film and TV then you do for comics, comics are the foundation, tv and film are becoming the main event
    Yes. No argument in that. But should such a con be still called a COMIC con when sequential storytelling doesn't really interest the majority of attendants?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Creepers are going to be creepers no matter where you go. Conventions need better enforcement to ensure harassment, and especially touching, are dealt with in a draconian manner.

Also, why does Jimmy Kimmel still have a show? He is by far the weakest Late Night host, even when you include the second-stringer shows that air after the late shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouder View Post
    Yes. No argument in that. But should such a con be still called a COMIC con when sequential storytelling doesn't really interest the majority of attendants?
    It is still comic con, they just prefer to access the IP derived from the comics in mediums that do not involve paper or staples.

BANNED

its a brand name, not an accurate one

sports teams are called "world champions" and thats not wholly accurate

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    It is still comic con, they just prefer to access the IP derived from the comics in mediums that do not involve paper or staples.
    Yes, but that means "they" are not comic book fans, they're fans of corporate IP assets.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Yes, but that means "they" are not comic book fans, they're fans of corporate IP assets.
    Which is all comics are now-a-days.

What makes a person who likes the Dark Knight movies, Young Justice and the Arkham games a lesser fan than yourself?

All-New Member

Which is all comics are now-a-days.

What makes a person who likes the Dark Knight movies, Young Justice and the Arkham games a lesser fan than yourself?

Hardly all comics are that now. And the second part, well, it depends.

Is a fan of Dark Knight movies lesser Batman fan than me? Absolutely not.
    Is a fan of Dark Knight movies lesser comic book fan than me? Most obviously yes.

Super Moderator

This thread has already drifted -- please stay focused on the topic, not what comic conventions should be named. All further posts not related to the topic will be deleted.

I am glad this issue is being adressed yet am terribly saddened that it needs to be adressed at all. I actually was somewhat oblivious to this terrible issue until my partner and I started discussing the possibility of cosplaying. I hope that it can continue to be discussed so that awareness can spread.

We go to these shows to celebrate our heroes.

Wish more people would go to these shows to celebrate actual comics like they do in Europe, instead of celebrating corporate IP assets with comics playing third fiddle to film and television.
    Along with the issue adressed in the article this is something that really limits my desire to attend such events.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Creepers are going to be creepers no matter where you go.
    Well that's the thing - it's not just creepers (or people we can easily ID as creepers). There's Kimmel doing it for a mainstream TV show and the studio audience guffawing and chanting "YES"/"NO"; "I can ask this stuff, they're weirdos, ha ha ha" is mainstream.

I'm confused about the incident with the injured minor. They arrested a man and then realized he had nothing to do with it? If that's true how does her injury relate to the harassment that cosplayers face?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider