Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Nightmare on Elm Street (reboot?)

From CBR:
    https://www.cbr.com/elijah-wood-keep...#leave-comment

I loved this series when it came out. Such an original idea for a character, such a breath of fresh air in terms of storylines, SFX and villain for horror movies in a field that had been dominated by emotionless killers like Jason and Michael Meyers. On the heels of "It" being a box office hit, could this series see new life in this age? They tried rebooting it before, but it fell flat. I didn't see it, so I'm not sure why, but from the marketing it didn't really stoke my imagination -especially since the SFX these days mixed with the potential for dream imagery, and a darkly humorous villain should be able to create an exciting and fun experience. That reboot seemed like it was maybe too serious?

Can/should this franchise come back? I wonder if Elijah Wood wants to play Freddy. My one casting idea though if they want to raise some eyebrows: Johnny Depp! (full circle since he debuted in the first "Nightmare" and he's certainly no stranger to heavy makeup and creating weird, unique characters - it could be his Joker...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-06-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I like Wood, but Wes Craven is the only one who knows how to make these

Incredible Member

there's only 1 freddy and that's robert england.

his efforts would be better utilized elsewhere.

I'd like to see it, if they corrected the mistake of the last attempt and knew that you need some degree of camp. On the other hand, it'll remain difficult to find someone to fill Englund's glove.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd like to see it, if they corrected the mistake of the last attempt and knew that you need some degree of camp. On the other hand, it'll remain difficult to find someone to fill Englund's glove.
    What could be campier?
    Freddy_Depp.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I like Wood, but Wes Craven is the only one who knows how to make these
    Ummm.... Wes came up with the character, directed 2 of them and wrote (or helped write) 3 of them, but I'll contend that Wes actually gave us the weakest films of the franchise. The first was great for it's time, but it's dated horribly. He wrote a treatment for Dream Warriors, but his script was rewritten by several other writers. And then he gave us New Nightmare, which was a **** show.

Then again, he DIDN'T give us Freddy's Revenge, so maybe not the weakest of the series...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What could be campier?
    Freddy_Depp.jpg
    I heard a rumor that they originally wanted Kevin Bacon to play Freddy in the remake. That could be interesting...

Glen is back for vengeance!

And yeah, Kevin Bacon has always been Robert Englund's personal choice for the part. He's pointed out again that's who he would like in light of new remake rumors.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Oh god, they will never stop with the remakes/reboots...

Sometimes the original can't be topped.

Arnold is Conan
    Robert Englund is Freddy
    Mr. T is B.A.

...and so on....

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The "classic" movies satisfy my 80s fetish and I hold them dear but I also would rather have new icons like Marvel's Morbius or Nightmare.

I say let them keep trying, you never know when they might get it right.

should be a female Freddy. they aren't going to recapture lightning anyways.

Ultimate Member

Let him try I say. He's a huge horror fan and his production company has actually been putting out some quite good work. Also it can't be any worse than that last film.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Let him try I say. He's a huge horror fan and his production company has actually been putting out some quite good work. Also it can't be any worse than that last film.
    of course it can be. the last remake played it very safe. they just removed a lot of the (superior) practical effects and changed the acting roster. the concept was still the same. but what if they changed the actual concept of Nightmare on Elm Street like they did Child's Play?