Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is the Luke fox batwing run any good? Never actually read it..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think it's pretty fun, its by Jimmy Palmiotti. Basically the conceit was the Luke is a brash but very intelligent and athletic 20 something who gets in fights with his father because he wants to see the world and adventure, though the later half of the book as it ends is about his turbulent family relationship as he plays superhero.

In terms of Batfamily relationship, he's there but hes more on the side of things like Huntress.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Don't know about good, but I hate some of the decisions such as making his unique synesthetic bully-victim friend an edgy villain that caused his sister to OD and become a vegetable. Rebirth undo that and make Tamara Fox a surgeon in Gotham Mercy Hospital that helps Catwoman, mercifully

going back and reading it, it was more solid than I gave it credit for the first time I read it (I was very mad about David Zavimbe back then). I think Luke and his familial connection gives him a unique distinction from other Bats. when I read it back I get the interpretation that Luke is a somewhat idealized version of who Bruce could've been if his parents didn't die. it's like Bruce inspiring himself in a weird way and I don't know if that's what they were going for, but I think there is something interesting to be said there. I would say check it out. it won't blow your mind but it's a fun read.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-26-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I thought it was a decent read. Luke felt like he was going through a Spiderman style coming of age storyline set in the Bat mythos. How was Tynion's take on Luke in his run on Detective Comics?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I thought it was a decent read. Luke felt like he was going through a Spiderman style coming of age storyline set in the Bat mythos. How was Tynion's take on Luke in his run on Detective Comics?
    I don't remember much of Luke in Tynion's run on Detective but he gave us Bearded Luke; I like bearded Luke Fox.

i remember him being a little...iron man-y but I think Luke strikes a nice balance with his own elements.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-26-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

He was meant to be Tim's replacement when he was thought dead, so he was the smart tech guy who ran the belfrey. The interesting take was that he sided with Batwoman and the Colony after the Clayface incident.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't remember much of Luke in Tynion's run on Detective but he gave us Bearded Luke; I like bearded Luke Fox.

i remember him being a little...iron man-y but I think Luke strikes a nice balance with his own elements.
    Beard Luke as Iron Bat was really cool. And I thought that Tynion gave him a lot of cool character, and really wish he'd gotten his own arc. Ah, well. Lack of space.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    He was meant to be Tim's replacement when he was thought dead, so he was the smart tech guy who ran the belfrey. The interesting take was that he sided with Batwoman and the Colony after the Clayface incident.
    The Batwing and Azrael, Agents of Colony, were really interesting, but sadly underused.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm looking forward to Ridley's miniseries about Luke as Batman. Even if its only an elseworlds i hope it gives him a chance to write Luke as Batwing in a future solo. Maybe he could bring over some concepts from one story to the other?

I'm looking forward to Ridley's miniseries about Luke as Batman. Even if its only an elseworlds i hope it gives him a chance to write Luke as Batwing in a future solo. Maybe he could bring over some concepts from one story to the other?
    I'm really annoyed that even though they've known about this for a LONG time, they've spent no time building Luke up as a character or his relationship with Bruce. This is the way that DC is going to make fans dislike Luke, and as a fan of Luke, that makes me so frustrated.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batw...k-batman-news/

When we first ran the story in 2019, the value of Luke Fox's first appearance rocketed to $90 and above on eBay. After that without any supporting news, and with the departure of 5G creator Dan DiDio, and the word that 5G was being abandoned by DC Comics, the value dropped. But after DC Fandome, it took off like a rocket again. These are confirmed eBay sales in the past week.

Batwing #19 and Batwing #20 together, both CGC 9.8, $1000.
    Batwing #19 CGC 9.8 $500
    Batwing #19 and Batwing #20 together, raw, $325.
    Batwing #19 raw $300.
    Batwing #20 CGC 9.2 $150
    Batwing #20 raw $125.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm really annoyed that even though they've known about this for a LONG time, they've spent no time building Luke up as a character or his relationship with Bruce. This is the way that DC is going to make fans dislike Luke, and as a fan of Luke, that makes me so frustrated.
    I guess they were relying on Luke and Bruce knowing each other offscreen to sell you on their dynamic. Luke has known Bruce for most of his life through Lucius's working relationship with Bruce.

I guess they were relying on Luke and Bruce knowing each other offscreen to sell you on their dynamic. Luke has known Bruce for most of his life through Lucius's working relationship with Bruce.
    But that's not usually how fan reactions to characters works. Even Azrael had more development before he became Batman at this point. Luke deserves a leadup miniseries, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But that's not usually how fan reactions to characters works. Even Azrael had more development before he became Batman at this point. Luke deserves a leadup miniseries, at least!
    Well, that's what he basically seems to be getting with the John Ridley book (even if it seems to be hitting the ground running with him already Batman).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, that's what he basically seems to be getting with the John Ridley book (even if it seems to be hitting the ground running with him already Batman).
    But I think making Luke Batman should have a leadin, and without the leadin, where people are on board with and excited about his character, there will be a lot of people who are frustrated.