Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But I think making Luke Batman should have a leadin, and without the leadin, where people are on board with and excited about his character, there will be a lot of people who are frustrated.
    You don't think the mini will accomplish that?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You don't think the mini will accomplish that?
    I think it really depends on how the main title handles it. If Luke replaces Bruce across the board in both the mini and the main title, no, it definitely won't. If he's only Batman in the mini, I think it will be odd, but it won't cause the same frustration I forsee in the first circumstance.

But still.

I'm a fan of Luke.

I think he should be in more stuff, especially if he's gonna be Batman.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

But I think making Luke Batman should have a leadin, and without the leadin, where people are on board with and excited about his character, there will be a lot of people who are frustrated.
    I thought that was the rumor surrounding John Ridley’s story in the Joker War Zone special. I have to imagine on some level it’s not a coincidence the guy writing the all-new Batman mini is going to do a margin of set up in his little bit of story in the big Joker event.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I thought that was the rumor surrounding John Ridley’s story in the Joker War Zone special. I have to imagine on some level it’s not a coincidence the guy writing the all-new Batman mini is going to do a margin of set up in his little bit of story in the big Joker event.
    That would be a bit of help. Definitely getting the War Zone one shot, so I will see!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'm really annoyed that even though they've known about this for a LONG time, they've spent no time building Luke up as a character or his relationship with Bruce. This is the way that DC is going to make fans dislike Luke, and as a fan of Luke, that makes me so frustrated.
    Since he's replacing Batman they are gonna hate him regardless. I would've just dropped that angle and just had Ridley write a "Batwing" story.

I think it really depends on how the main title handles it. If Luke replaces Bruce across the board in both the mini and the main title, no, it definitely won't. If he's only Batman in the mini, I think it will be odd, but it won't cause the same frustration I forsee in the first circumstance.

But still.

I'm a fan of Luke.

I think he should be in more stuff, especially if he's gonna be Batman.
    It doesn't seem like he's replacing Bruce across the board, although I don't see this really working one way or another unless he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It doesn't seem like he's replacing Bruce across the board, although I don't see this really working one way or another unless he does.
    I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit, they still haven't even told us what we're supposed to be looking at. if it comes out and it's straight up Luke is Batman in canon then I think they're gonna make the change across the board following Joker War. although this could just end up being some kind of one-off, based on what we know so far.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Not a huge fan of Luke or David so far but picking it up nonetheless for John Ridley. Just didn't care much for the writers handling those two characters up until now. This catched my interest because I like the idea of a scientist/engineer Batman from a black family fighting familiar and new rogues. If the tone is different enough from Batman Beyond its a cool contrast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Since he's replacing Batman they are gonna hate him regardless. I would've just dropped that angle and just had Ridley write a "Batwing" story.
    I mean, though, Luke being Batman is the whole allure of things. It's what was so hype about it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I mean, though, Luke being Batman is the whole allure of things. It's what was so hype about it in the first place.
    Was it thought? Most people on this site were reacting with dread or "ugh".

I was mostly indifferent because 5g felt like a rumor that took on a life of its own. I just saw it as a shortcut to get more Luke stories.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-28-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

I was mostly indifferent because 5g felt like a rumor that took on a life of its own. I just saw it as a shortcut to get more Luke stories.
    Were????

They still are. If I see one more Bruce Wayne is Batman or Clark Kent is Superman comment....

Where were all these folks when Nightwing, Jim and Jean Paul wore that suit?

Why is it dread for Luke (if it is him) to do it for 4 issues?

What is the worst that can happen? Miles & Peter?? Peter & Miguel? Peter & Hobie? Peter & the VARIOUS Spider-Men all over the place?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Were????

They still are. If I see one more Bruce Wayne is Batman or Clark Kent is Superman comment....

What is the worst that can happen? Miles & Peter?? Peter & Miguel? Peter & Hobie? Peter & the VARIOUS Spider-Men all over the place?
    Oh, they were there when Jim wore the suit.

I can't wait to see Twitter when this comes out. There's someone already complaining about the presence of a black woman in the cover of Red Hood

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh, they were there when Jim wore the suit.

I can't wait to see Twitter when this comes out. There's someone already complaining about the presence of a black woman in the cover of Red Hood
    I saw that coming a mile way.

Funny they didn't rant about Baby Doomsday who is a POC-don't ask me what race he is. Some say black but I don't know. We don't even know his last name.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Were????

I think its more over 5g being a rumor that was never really explained. So people just assumed it was gonna be "All new all different DC" with the replacement trend. A lot of those characters were killed off or disgraced in story so fans were assuming the worst.

Trust me people don't care for Jon becoming the next Superman.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-30-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

The people who were going to naysay the idea were going to do so regardless. Looking beyond that (admittedly difficult due to the loudness of said naysayers), there was indeed genuine interest and intrigue on what could be brought to the table with a Luke Fox as Batman when that part of the 5G concept was mentioned.