Mighty Member

Default Captain America Comics 49-72

I read somewhere that the Captain America that we see in issues 49-72 is not Steve Rogers. So basically after issue 48, the next time we see Steve is when he's revived from the ice. Is that true? Then who is the Cap that is in those remaining issues?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I read somewhere that the Captain America that we see in issues 49-72 is not Steve Rogers. So basically after issue 48, the next time we see Steve is when he's revived from the ice. Is that true? Then who is the Cap that is in those remaining issues?
    Yes. During the final days of WWII, William Naslund became Cap, followed by Jeffery Mace, then William Burnside. I’m not sure on the date of when Steve went into the ice other than the year, but FWIW on Wikipedia it lists the date that Steve went into the ocean as “late April 1945” so most likely the Cap comic in April of 1945 was probably the last comic with Steve as Cap which would have been #48 which went on sale on April 30th, 1945.
    Last edited by tg1982; 12-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Yes. During the final days of WWII, William Naslund became Cap, followed by Jeffery Mace, then William Burnside. I’m not sure on the date of when Steve went into the ice other than the year, but FWIW on Wikipedia it lists the date that Steve went into the ocean as “late April 1945” so most likely the Cap comic in April of 1945 was probably the last comic with Steve as Cap which would have been #48 which went on sale on April 30th, 1945.
    The above is correct, but they are also all retcons. When those issues were originally published they were supposed to be featuring Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes. After Avengers #4 revealed that Cap had been on ice since the final days of WWII, there needed to be an explanation of who it was running around from '45 until the 50s. The original What If? series had an issue that showed William Naslund (previously The Spirit of '76) was asked to be Captain America after the original was lost. He died in that What If? issue, and was replaced by Jeff Mace (originally The Patriot) after that. A few years later Steve Englehart also revealed that the Cap from the 50s relaunch of the Captain America series was yet another individual. His name was William Burnside and he was obsessed with Cap to the point where he had reconstructive surgery and legally changed his name to Steve Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    The above is correct, but they are also all retcons. When those issues were originally published they were supposed to be featuring Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes. After Avengers #4 revealed that Cap had been on ice since the final days of WWII, there needed to be an explanation of who it was running around from '45 until the 50s. The original What If? series had an issue that showed William Naslund (previously The Spirit of '76) was asked to be Captain America after the original was lost. He died in that What If? issue, and was replaced by Jeff Mace (originally The Patriot) after that. A few years later Steve Englehart also revealed that the Cap from the 50s relaunch of the Captain America series was yet another individual. His name was William Burnside and he was obsessed with Cap to the point where he had reconstructive surgery and legally changed his name to Steve Rogers.
    I meant to include the retcons, but ended up forgetting to include them in my response. Thank you for including it.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

It's pretty clear that issues 76 - 78 were Burnside. As for Naslund and Mace, was either one that distinctive to be able to ID them? I think we can put all of the Europe War stories in Steve's court regardless of publication date. I'd probably put Mace in the US stories after the war ended. And that's assuming there were both US and Europe stories throughout WW2. My suggestion: Location, Location, Location.

Mighty Member

Which issue was that? The What If?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Yeah, and William Nasland was also present here in All Winners Comics as opposed to Steve Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Which issue was that? The What If?
    What If? Vol 1 #4 from 1977.

What If? Vol 1 #4 from 1977.
    Definitely a classic, strathcona: