Default DC Sure Loves The Name "Artemis" Doesn't It?

We have the Olympian goddess Artemis whom Diana does occasionally interact with. You have Diana's fellow Amazon Artemis of the Bana-Mighdall. In pre-crisis, Diana fought the reanimated corpse of an ancient Amazon named Artemis. And this is just characters in the Wonder Woman corner of the DCU. We have the villainess (hero in the YJ animated series) Artemis Crock aka Tigress and Artemiz, a Female Fury who appeared in Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

Astonishing Member

I mean even Diana herself is basically just another name for Artemis, specifically the Roman equivalent.

But almost all of them are otherwise based on the Goddess Artemis on purpose. But yeah.

a Female Fury who appeared in Ostrander's Suicide Squad.
    Named Artemis? Didnt know about this one

Yeah its getting out of hand.

BANNED

Didn't they force Rucka during his first run to Change Artemis Name to Demeter, because they feared the Reader could not understand characters having the same Name, because of that^^?

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Didn't they force Rucka during his first run to Change Artemis Name to Demeter, because they feared the Reader could not understand characters having the same Name, because of that^^?
    Don't recall that happening.

Then Olympos would have had two Demeter, so I doubt that's the case.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Then Olympos would have had two Demeter, so I doubt that's the case.
    Only if the real one never shows up^^
    I just looked into the Comic, they had a young Woman with a bow who was called Demeter in Wonder Woman 199 and the rumor was that they put Demeter in the role of Artemis to not confuse Readers with two women with the same Name in a Comic. Perhaps Rucka would have explained it in a storyline how Demeter ended up in the role, but after Infinity Crisis that was no longer an Option.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 12-09-2019 at 06:18 AM.

Only if the real one never shows up^^
    I just looked into the Comic, they had a young Woman with a bow who was called Demeter in Wonder Woman 199 and the rumor was that they put Demeter in the role of Artemis to not confuse Readers with two women with the same Name in a Comic. Perhaps Rucka would have explained it in a storyline how Demeter ended up in the role, but after Infinity Crisis that was no longer an Option.
    *checks*

From the looks of it, Demeter got some of Artemis's attributes there, but it's only a single run. I'd chalk those scenes up to gross stupidity on Rucka's and DC's part.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])