Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Default Excalibur #3 Review/Spoilers - "The Queen needs her Captain"

I'm going to be honest: i know I'm in the minority here, but of the three X-Books that released today, this one was my favorite. With no further delay, though, let's get right to it.

• We start with the preview. Ric is having trouble with his powers, yadda yadda.
    • Interestingly we never find out which telepath is talking to him from Krakoa.
    • Ric tried to get answers about his powers on some weird Mutant forum. He doesn't want to go to Krakoa in case he'll break the entire freakin' thing.
    • Cut to Otherworld. Morgan Le Fay contacts Marianne Stern and takes her to task over Captain Britain and Apocalypse.
    • Marianne does let it slip that the British public do not know that Betsy is Captain Britain now.
    • Cut to Betsy, Remy, Jubes, and Shogo - who turned himself into a dragon! Turns out that Shogo, as a human child, can be whatever he wants here because the faeries are fond of human kids.
    • Jubes is obviously worried about Shogo. We love a caring momma.
    • Shogo found Camelot, and Betsy wants to storm the castle. Remy and Jubes aren't on board at first, especially Remy because Rogue is alone with A back in the lighthouse.
    • Remy is eventually convinced and Betsy makes a really good point - as a mutant, if anything were happen to her Rogue is safe in a way that Shogo and Brian, as humans, are not now because of the resurrection protocols.
    • Shogo flies the group to Camelot. Jubilee forces Betsy to agree that that's all he'll do - fly them there.
    • The group gets to Camelot and storms the castle, but they're overwhelmed. Jubilee suggests that Betsy mind control the guards, but she can't - she mentions that it's almost like they're only half real. She can only read their thoughts, not do anything else!
    • Betsy convinces Jubilee to let her call in the cavalry so they don't all freakin' die - in comes Shogo with the save, via dragon fire!
    • As they're leaving, Dark Brian shows up. Can we start calling him Captain Camelot? I'mma call him Captain Camelot. Shocked at what's become of her brother, Betsy rushes him, hoping to bring him back to his sense.
    • Betsy pleads for Brian to come back to them. For her. For Meggan. For Maggie. For Jamie. It nearly works when Brian hears that Jamie is back - but Shogo, Jubes, and Remy 'save' Betsy and mess it up.
    • Remy and Jubes force a retreat. This next scene really got to me - Jubilee telling Betsy that she is Captain Britain for the first, real time.
    • Morgan also tells Betsy to take up her mantle telepathically. From one warrior queen to another. Long may they reign.
    • MI-13 is investigating the Otherworld incidents, it's revealed through the second data page. Characters to look into are the entire Braddock family, Kate Pryde, Kurt Wagner, Rachel Summers, Morgan Le Fay, and Courtney Ross. Mutants are not to be interrogated solo.
    • Apocalypse needs a master of stone itself to manage the Otherworld gates. So, he conscripts Rictor against his will.
    • When they get back to the Lighthouse - someone is waiting for them.
    • It's Pete Wisdom - and he's looking for Captain Britain, because the Queen needs her Captain!

Overall it wasn't a perfect issue, but it was fun. I'd give it a 7-8/10.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Baby dragon Shogo’s thought process is the most adorable thing ever.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    Baby dragon Shogo’s thought process is the most adorable thing ever.
    It really was. The way Tini and Marcus displayed his thought process was so smart, too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Really loved this issue. Feels like we’re finally moving and although there’s a lot of moving parts, I’m enjoying the chaos. Every time they get a moment to settle something else pops up and they have to keep pushing through.

I completely agree with you all. I loved this! The art is beautiful and I found it more fun than the last issue. I smiled a lot.

Dear Santa, I would love a Baby Shogo Dragon plush toy this year, please.

This felt more like a fantasy tale and the art worked beautifully. Cute video game reference from Remy. Brian looked sexy and I got sad that he almost snapped out of it when he heard Jamie's name.

And I have to say, I absolutely loved ...{A}...'s encouraging words to Julio. My poor baby just wants to join the festivities so thank you for bringing him through, Big Daddy ...([A])... (I wonder who was calling out to Julio telepathically in the beginning since he was SHOOK to see ...\A/... LOL!)

Aaaaaaaaand, PETE WISDOM!. I love that they totally brought up how the British government is going to have to deal with a Krakoan being Captain Britian. The Queen would like to see you, Betsy.
    Last edited by JB; 12-04-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Definitely the best issue so far. The pacing and dialogue were much better and the overall story is interesting, especially with new players like Pete Wisdom.

Like little things like the message board and the humans' reactions to Apocalypse. Overall, good issue.

Much better than the previous issue. I feel like this should've been issue #2. That nonsense with Kitty/the boat/the "sirens" didn't need to happen. The dialogue was better and I like Rictor's inclusion here.

I genuinely feel Gambit is kinda right. Rogue should be a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Definitely the best issue so far. The pacing and dialogue were much better and the overall story is interesting, especially with new players like Pete Wisdom.

Like little things like the message board and the humans' reactions to Apocalypse. Overall, good issue.
    Agreed, the message board posts were pretty hilarious. "28/M, looking for another pea for my pod " Go on, Tini!

And Very Interesting that MI-13 has also been surveilling and will not be focusing in on Kate, Rachel, and Kurt now too.

Ok lets chat

Last issue they got sent into Otherworld to get Brian.

In like 3 panels in one page they are over taken. And have to go back.

Literally what was the point of going.

And I love me my Betsy but that interaction she had with Brian. It was just so off in my opinion.

Also she forgot she had a psychic bond with Brian. But had to be reminded by Jubilee?

Im not jumping on the bandwagon. But I finally see that we SHOULD NOT have gotten 3 issues of them doing or saying the exact same things or having the same concerns over and over. Where were Gambit's solutions or plans? If Jubilee is worried about her human baby on Krakoa why doesnt she trust anyone to watch him? Where are Paige, Jono, and Monet to watch over the kid for a bit?

And don't get me started on Gambit and Jubilee. Why are they even there?

I understand that characters can be thrown together and have a good story told.

But Tini is not succeeding. And these are characters that should all have a lot of chemistry together.

I really wanted this book to be successful.

The art is servicable. The writing sounds so generic. And it's weird to me that Hickman handpicked Tini Howard. ( Actually it's not becuase X-Men was blah as well)

We're not delving into Betsy. We're getting Betsy trying to desperately save Brian. And her weird insecurity about have the amulet on.

Does she want to save him so bad because a Captain Britain in responsible for the omniverse and the UK? Is she fearful that his family and child will lose him? We need some damn introspection. It feels like she's giving us a lot of information. But it's not hitting.

I've wanted them to delve in Betsy's change since August of 2018. But nope.

We're getting a version of Betsy that has this holier than thou perception of Brian.

I don't even know if my rant made sense.

But this series is extremely disappointing.

I could make excuses for why she's acting this way. But I won't.

I'll read it a few more times.
    Last edited by CGAR; 12-04-2019 at 07:52 AM.

BANNED

Very glad Pete has arrived to liven up this book.

Astonishing Member

Shogo dragon is the best pokemon, even better then Snom, and what ever type a gabby is

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Ok lets chat

Last issue they got sent into Otherworld to get Brian.

In like 3 panels in one page they are over taken. And have to go back.

Literally what was the point of going.
    I'm pretty sure they didn't know they'd be overrun or that Brian had been taken so far deep under Morgan's control. It was a rescue op that went bad.

Also she forgot she had a psychic bond with Brian. But had to be reminded by Jubilee?
    Jubilee was asking her because Betsy said she knew Brian was in there. Betsy confirmed that she couldn't read Brian but was reading the guards.

Does she want to save him so bad because a Captain Britain in responsible for the omniverse and the UK? Is she fearful that his family and child will lose him? We need some damn introspection. It feels like she's giving us a lot of information. But it's not hitting.
    Yes and yes? She basically says as much during the fight. She didn't want to become CB like this and she wants to bring Brian home. Not only to reclaim his role but be with his family. She even name drops them all.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 12-04-2019 at 08:28 AM.

This was my favorite issue of Excalibur so far. It was a very fun read. I love magic Shogo. Rictor's story is interesting, and I'm excited to see what's going on with him.

I get a little annoyed that these characters are functioning more as individuals than a family though. I feel like Jubilee, Gambit, and Betsy should be simultaneously worrying about Shogo, Brian, and Rogue without reminding the others they're in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    This was my favorite issue of Excalibur so far. It was a very fun read. I love magic Shogo. Rictor's story is interesting, and I'm excited to see what's going on with him.

I get a little annoyed that these characters are functioning more as individuals than a family though. I feel like Jubilee, Gambit, and Betsy should be simultaneously worrying about Shogo, Brian, and Rogue without reminding the others they're in danger.
    I think it was an interesting little tug of war - Betsy's main concern is Brian, Remy's is Rogue, and Jubilee's is Shogo. So it's a bit chaotic but I like that Jubilee and Remy are still by Betsy's side no matter what.

Wow, that actually sounds like a really issue. You have piqued my interest for this book.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”