Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default No Time To Die - A James Bond Movie

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

I approve of Blofeld as Hannibal Lector resource.

I liked the way Bond said that one word: "CONTROL." It made think for just a second, "Wait, are they folding Get Smart continuity into the Bond universe?" I mean, why not? They sort of folded Austin Powers in by making Blofeld Bond's adopted brother.

Now just need to know who's doing the title/primary song. "Writing's On The Wall" is pretty good, if its as good as that I'll be happy.

Looks like Madeline has a larger role in the story than I thought-some assumed she'd be quickly written out.

Maybe Bond was a bit too quick to trust her entirely, considering who her father was. There's a rumor that this connection deals with her story about a man coming to her house to kill her father mentioned in SPECTRE.

Looks like Rami Malek's villain has some kind of medical condition, hence the mask.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I'mma be honest with y'all. Most bond films are boring to me. I mean yeah they got cool gadgets, cool villains. But plot wise I just don't give a **** most of the time. It's supposed to be a spy thriller, but there's no intrigue. Or none that interests me. I think of all the films I only ever liked Licence to Kill. But then again I was a tween when I saw that one, and only liked it for its edginess. I mean Winter Soldier had more intrigue that almost all of the Bond films. Plot wise, bond films just aren't doing it for me.

You might find the Ian Fleming books a little more to your liking. Dalton was pretty much the book Bond almost perfectly and they're less cliched than the movies (There's practically no gadgets either). Craig kind of started that way but he's kind of lightened up in pretty much every film.

BTW this seems to add some more fuel to the bad guy is meant to be a modern Dr.No theory in a few ways. Bond's insult to him is very similar to what Connery's Bond said to No towards the end of the film, the lair looks a bit similar (One shot of Malek seems to be shadowing water-maybe like No's fish tank?), and perhaps the broken blood vessels on his face are from some form of radiation sickness? Yeah, the name's different but that's what they did with Blofeld. Although it'd be kind of dumb for them to have similar twists twice in a row, although Bond films aren't exactly always that original (You Only Live Twice, Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker and Tomorrow Never Dies have the same basic plot when you think about it).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-04-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I'mma be honest with y'all. Most bond films are boring to me. I mean yeah they got cool gadgets, cool villains. But plot wise I just don't give a **** most of the time. It's supposed to be a spy thriller, but there's no intrigue. Or none that interests me. I think of all the films I only ever liked Licence to Kill. But then again I was a tween when I saw that one, and only liked it for its edginess. I mean Winter Soldier had more intrigue that almost all of the Bond films. Plot wise, bond films just aren't doing it for me.
    Bond is more of a superhero power fantasy type thing than an actual spy. Fleming did incorporate elements he knew about spies to make it feel authentic. But mostly Bond is a vehicle for Fleming to show all these luxurious and exotic locations around the world while his main hero goes on an Indiana Jones style adventure meeting beautiful women and facing off against colorful enemys. The books are a bit more character driven in that you really get into the mind of this neurotic and depressed man who drinks himself to death and constantly ponders his existence as a hired assassin. The movies more focus it as an outlet for the audience to live vicariously through him.

They are more pulp adventure with the backdrop of being a spy. Sort of like how Batman does some detective work, but it's really just a backdrop for a cool superhero story. In fact the Batman stories that were designed to be Bond like were actually the Adams/O'Neil stories where he traveled around the world fighting Ra's. That's more what it is.

The film series just set a lot of the tropes of what a spy movie is.

The current movies have been hit and miss for me last one was a miss so maybe this will be good? Probably not fallout good though.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Bond is more of a superhero power fantasy type thing than an actual spy. Fleming did incorporate elements he knew about spies to make it feel authentic. But mostly Bond is a vehicle for Fleming to show all these luxurious and exotic locations around the world while his main hero goes on an Indiana Jones style adventure meeting beautiful women and facing off against colorful enemys. The books are a bit more character driven in that you really get into the mind of this neurotic and depressed man who drinks himself to death and constantly ponders his existence as a hired assassin. The movies more focus it as an outlet for the audience to live vicariously through him.

They are more pulp adventure with the backdrop of being a spy. Sort of like how Batman does some detective work, but it's really just a backdrop for a cool superhero story. In fact the Batman stories that were designed to be Bond like were actually the Adams/O'Neil stories where he traveled around the world fighting Ra's. That's more what it is.

The film series just set a lot of the tropes of what a spy movie is.
    Yeah, Fleming was a big traveller. One of his non-fiction novels is a travelogue.

BTW M's line "Where's 007?" could probably refer to Lashanna Lynch's character I think. Nice bit of misdirection there in the trailer.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-05-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

I will be watching it in the Cinema for sure.Looks quite intriguing.

Wait, the theory is going around that Rami Malek's character is really Dr. No? That would be cool as heck.

Only problem is that'd basically be repeating the last film's twist (Which in turn felt a little bit like the "Star Trek into Darkness" twist).

Then again Bond has had similar villains before that were not complete reboots. Max Zorin's plot and some aspects of his personality were somewhat close to Goldfinger's (Cheating, creating a monopoly through literally destroying the competition etc). Drax was pretty much similar to Stormberg, except he wanted to create a space race instead of a a sea race (also Drax wanted to eventually resettle the world where it appears Stromberg just wanted the remaining humans to live under the sea).

This is a reboot of the series, though. So seeing old villains "reborn" should be expected. And I thought ST:ID's problem [for some fans that is] wasn't the twist but rather Cumberbatch's casting as Khan.

Yeah-if anything, in many ways Waltz's Blofeld-apart from the stepbrother angle-is morel like how Blofeld was described in the original novels. The scarred bald guy with the cat is more of a movie invention.

Curiously there's a shot of what looks like some kind of sea rig being destroyed in the trailer too. Part of No's base included something similar, a "mine" that was actually cover for his operation.

We also have Felix meeting with Bond in a Jamacian bar not unlike Dr.No. I'm guessing perhaps Wright's Felix might end up with a similar fate to his novel and LICENSE TO KILL counterparts although he might not survive it, perhaps serving a similar function to Strangways in the original movie/novel.