Extraordinary Member

Default The Surprising Impact a Fan Poem Had On Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Interesting story for fans of the film and the original Star Trek franchise. I personally am fascinated by things like this.

https://www.cbr.com/the-surprising-i...rch-for-spock/

While Wrath Of Khan, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country are my three favorite Star Trek films, I do love The Search For Spock as well. I didn't care for the Saavik replacement or the death of Kirk's son, but it did have some great moments. And yes, I did cry when the Enterprise self-destructed.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Wow this is interesting. I was a huge fan of Spock and he had the best death scene ever and me and my family got so hyped for SFS and watched WoK on our beta max (laugh, before we switched to VHS) just the day before we saw search SFS at the local theater. This is nice positive news on the fans for a change and glad it brought good things to Harve Bennettt and our Spock back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Wow this is interesting. I was a huge fan of Spock and he had the best death scene ever and me and my family got so hyped for SFS and watched WoK on our beta max (laugh, before we switched to VHS) just the day before we saw search SFS at the local theater. This is nice positive news on the fans for a change and glad it brought good things to Harve Bennettt and our Spock back.
    Glad you enjoyed the story. Yes, SFS had a very interesting storyline and brought the Klingons back into the Star Trek universe, giving Kirk yet another reason to really despise them. And we got Spock back.

^Also it introduced the Klingon Bird of Prey, Spacedock and the Excelsior, both of which I think were fundamental to TNG and later spinoffs, as the Enterprise-D is sort of a further evolution of that design in a few ways with the less angular hull & saucer. Also despite all the great stuff in Khan, the first half of the film uses a lot of TMP stock footage for the Enterprise (and even Regula One was just a TMP space station flipped upside down), whereas SFS was pretty much all-new.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Glad you enjoyed the story. Yes, SFS had a very interesting storyline and brought the Klingons back into the Star Trek universe, giving Kirk yet another reason to really despise them. And we got Spock back.
    I loved the Klingons in SFS. Christopher Lloyd was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^Also it introduced the Klingon Bird of Prey, Spacedock and the Excelsior, both of which I think were fundamental to TNG and later spinoffs, as the Enterprise-D is sort of a further evolution of that design in a few ways with the less angular hull & saucer. Also despite all the great stuff in Khan, the first half of the film uses a lot of TMP stock footage for the Enterprise (and even Regula One was just a TMP space station flipped upside down), whereas SFS was pretty much all-new.
    Yes, yes and yes. I thought the Bird of Prey held up real well in my latest viewing actually. And I still get goosebumps as when I saw it the first time.

The bridge set does look a bit dated though-probably it was changed in TVH (and all it's appearences afterward) to more closely resemble the TMP battle cruiser interiors. I've read that's possibly because in the early drafts it was intended as a Romulan BOP, but they changed it to Klingon. The sort of cramped look, color and lighting scheme seem more reminiscent of the TOS Romulan BOP.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I always thought Star Trek III was an underrated gem. Some of the effects really don't hold up (Genesis planet), but even that is a part of the charm of the movie. Makes it feel like a real throwback to the original series.