Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Maybe because I saw him in the Layer Cake first. But nah doesn't come across as a ass-whipper or ladies man to me. I'd put Connery and Brosnan above him.
    My favorite thing about Craig's bond is that he's a believable assassin. He's broken. Really only Dalton ever captured that part of the character well in the past, and Craig just has better scripts for it so he shines brighter. The booze, the women and the fancy suits are all a disguise for a man whose entire existence is violence and murder at the behest of the state. That should show. Too often Bond is just a playboy pulp adventurer (which is fine, that's more or less what the character was created as). But I like that they explore this other side as well.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Connery's Bond. And Pierce Brosnan was excellent. Roger Moore was good when his films weren't going ridiculously camp. I'm not going to say Craig is my favorite Bond. But in that one single way I think he's been the strongest performer thus far.

I think the Connery, Lazenby and Moore films were just everyone making a fun film. For Dalton and Brosnan, it almost seemed an obligation. "It's been a few years since the last Bond film. Time to make the next one."

But when they cast Craig in the role, I think they finally decided to make each film actually about something.

Dalton really enjoyed the role I think, I think he wanted in part to restore the cold-blooded aspect of the character after Moore's films (Moore had his cold-blooded moments here and there, but they were few and far between and Moore himself disliked that aspect of Bond).

Brosnan phoned it in a little bit more I think, although curiously in GOLDENEYE he seems the least Bond-like. Movie-wise it's his best but he seems to be more relaxed in the role in the follow-ups.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Brosnan phoned it in a little bit more I think, although curiously in GOLDENEYE he seems the least Bond-like. Movie-wise it's his best but he seems to be more relaxed in the role in the follow-ups.
    Brosnan, in his first film at least, lacked what all the other Bonds had before him. That was a complete alpha male sense of ease. His body language just seems too controlled, too uptight for me. (even down to the way he wipes his face with a towel to signaling for a waiter) Which is an actor's problem for James Bond in general I think. "how do I act like a smooth panther, an at leisure king baboon, AND still show my character reacting to the danger of the local situation?" I think Brosnan gained more of it down the track, but his film GoldenEye also suffered from the fault of having another actor in it whom also could have played Bond. Namely Sean Bean, the right age, more muscular, more manly, and certainly more British. If I would have any advice for Bond producers; it would be don't let your lead be out Bonded in the film by another actor. I loved Goldeneye, but from the pre-title action scene of the film I thought, "Oh dam! Sean Bean should of had this!"

Actually thinking about it now Goldeneye just needed a a better director in some scenes. " OK, do that again Pierce. When you go to order your drink from the waiter behind you. Do a small semi twist from the waist while rising eyebrows in part inquisitiveness and raise hand in a lazy benediction like manner....When you click your fingers like that with a beckoning hook, you look like an A-hole."

Funny thing is that Sean did audition, and they remembered him when they were casting the villain I think.

Just thought I'd bump this, saying that it's likely that Han's Zimmer will be the composer (and likely have a hand in the title tune as it's been fairly common practice-although I think Die Another Day and Another Way To Die didn't have David Arnold's input).

Outside the title themes Newman's scores for the last two haven't really popped out that much for me, sort of seemed mostly generic action music instead of the more memorable Barry and Arnold scores. However, it's worth noting that whenever he used the Bond theme he pretty much just stuck with Arnold's version of theme.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Craig is my least liked Bond I think he has no charisma something I think James Bond should need.

My Bonds go
    1: Connery.
    2: Moore.
    3: Dalton.
    4: Brosnan.
    5: Lazenby (Yes before Craig).
    6: Craig.

Also Connery shouldn't had come back after You Only Live Twice while I like Diamonds are Forever and Never Say Never Again is ok for a poor man's Thunderball but Connery was batting a 1,000 until coming back.

The charisma/witty nature of the character is largely an invention of the movies (as are many of the gadgets). Craig and Dalton somewhat play closer to how the character was originally in the novels, or at least the early ones (The later Flemings seem to have Bond take on more of his cinematic mannerisms, such as You Only Live Twice, and many of the later post-Fleming novels are pretty much based more on movie Bond 's persona and traits although they're supposed to be in the same continuity as Fleming).

Bond even has a scar in the books; something that's showed up in many of the comic adaptations.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Brosnan, in his first film at least, lacked what all the other Bonds had before him. That was a complete alpha male sense of ease. His body language just seems too controlled, too uptight for me. (even down to the way he wipes his face with a towel to signaling for a waiter) Which is an actor's problem for James Bond in general I think. "how do I act like a smooth panther, an at leisure king baboon, AND still show my character reacting to the danger of the local situation?" I think Brosnan gained more of it down the track, but his film GoldenEye also suffered from the fault of having another actor in it whom also could have played Bond. Namely Sean Bean, the right age, more muscular, more manly, and certainly more British. If I would have any advice for Bond producers; it would be don't let your lead be out Bonded in the film by another actor. I loved Goldeneye, but from the pre-title action scene of the film I thought, "Oh dam! Sean Bean should of had this!"
    Ironically, Brosnan got better in the role as his films began to decline. He was actually a great Bond in TWINE and DAD

Extraordinary Member

The charisma/witty nature of the character is largely an invention of the movies (as are many of the gadgets). Craig and Dalton somewhat play closer to how the character was originally in the novels, or at least the early ones (The later Flemings seem to have Bond take on more of his cinematic mannerisms, such as You Only Live Twice, and many of the later post-Fleming novels are pretty much based more on movie Bond 's persona and traits although they're supposed to be in the same continuity as Fleming).

Bond even has a scar in the books; something that's showed up in many of the comic adaptations.
    This. Bond in the books was more attractive because of his looks, his masculinity, and he had that bad boy intrigue. Connery was just charming as hell and then they kinda tried to pretend Moore was just like Connery.

Dalton is probably the closest to book Bond in the way he worked. Craig is the book Bond too but he's a bit more hardended and ruthless while the book Bond he did kind of have a "I'm still just a guy" mentality

Hans Zimmer is now confirmed.

Rumor is now that Billie Elish might do the theme song.

Rumor is now that Billie Elish might do the theme song.
    That's sad. After two great themes from Adele and Sam Smith, we now get flavor of the month Billie Eilish. Her 15 minutes might be up by the time the film comes out.

I'd love it if Lana Del Rey did the theme.