Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    But why though.

You, and a few other like-minded individuals, post the same criticisms on these threads, week after week, in a manner that can be best described as stubbornly inconsolable.
    It's pretty clear that the group is not a fan of Hickman's writing or the current direction of the line.

So what do you all get from reading something you don't like?
    What do you all get from repeatedly posting the same criticism? Do you hope that it will be noticed and incorporated it into the writing?
    Have you found that you've changed any one's mind or gathered new support?
    Is this a part of your grieving process?

I ask because I find the behavior curious, and I worry the group is finding relief in attempting to stymie enthusiasm for the book. Maybe it is a grieving process; is that so unheard of when you love these characters so much and feel so passionate?

Most people in that situation would say their peace, and move on for a while.
    I found myself in similar predicament with Spider-Man and OMD. It became very clear that the book I wanted was not the book I was going to get, so I left.
    At no point did I try exorcise my feelings by posting constant criticism.
    You really underestimate how much these characters mean to people, thus how hard it is just to 'break away.' Can't do it: we're too attached, we love 'em too much.

Besides; isn't what these forums are for? To express "I like this" or "I don't like this," not just one or the other? It's a way to vent, to put thoughts down and reflect upon; it's as cathartic as can be engaging on a critical level.

Besides, if the same complaints are coming up then maybe we should ask why, rather than just brushing people off and saying "You're wrong and dumb and whining." And if they do further persist then maybe it is an issue with the writing itself? I've found that often just gets brushed off with "That's just Hickman's style."

Well...so? Doesn't mean it's perfect or above reproach. A public forum is the place to put these thoughts, good or bad.

But nobody should be trying to take from anyone's fun. The conversation this comment came from, in fact, wasn't even meant to be a criticism directly. I was agreeing with someone who pointed out that Claremont was a much, much different take than Hickman and I elaborated why.

That snowballed into its' own thing.

And, also, on the topic of people disagreeing with the praise; I mean, I could say the same about "What's the point in posting about how good you find this?" But I won't because that's the point of the forum, much the same as how people post on twitter; to have our voices heard and opinions out there. Who knows, maybe it will be taken into consideration, it's not unusual in terms of market research, but I digress.
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 12-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.