Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
My problem is that the HOXPOX premise is that humans need decades to use technology to catch up, which the mutant-machine war bought them. Turns out, they don't need any time as every random human can stop Omega Mutants, telepaths and trained Mutant soldiers without breaking a sweat. It unsells everything HOXPOX was about.

The general point might be to create new villains, but the path is shorthanded to such a point where their victories are too numerous, too unearned, and too unbelievable. In this issue, they could've used other ways to establish the Hellfire Grannies, but the way it played out, every Mutant is a moron, the humans have extreme plot armor, and the scene feels ridiculous. It's just not interesting storytelling. It's more like a playground fight.

"I use the gates to get to you."
"No, you can't. I control them!"
"I read your mind."
"No, you can't. I have psi-blockers!"
"I zap you."
"No you can't. I have power dampeners!"
"I got you down."
"No, you don't. I was playing possum!"
"I wouldn't fall for that. I know you took down a bunch of Mutants including one right in front of me and have advanced technology."
"Yes, you do because I said so! Ha, I win!"

So lazy.
Things happening way earlier in this timeline was already addressed as a plot point (like Sinisters experimentation with Chimeras is supposed to be way in the future but he’s already working on it now.

Re this issue, your personal mileage will vary but I enjoyed this one cause it was a playground scrap as you say. The mutants were not expecting what they encountered, and weren’t even trying all that hard. Nice change of pace for me from people who just hate mutants because. These guys specifically hate what the mutants have done with Krakoa and the impact it has on their own plans. Makes them not such clear cut bad guys and I’m curious how their later issues pan out.

And I’m a Scott/Emma fan so I really liked their interaction here. I don’t much care who Jean is with long as it’s not Logan (just please no let that die). I wonder if Emma is the one person Scott loves that referenced in the previous issue.