Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    There wasn't changes to timelines and events that change the core of characters.
    I disagree. The Moira-related retcons were a massive rewrite of X-Men history. Yes, it's still technically "616", but it's not a continuation of the X-Men narrative as written before. Hickman has started a new narrative.

So I dont expect any truly exploration of poly that isn't a infantile *wink wink tease tease*. it's pretty obvious that Marvel won't let him do it
    I think you'll be surprised. Polyamory fits with Hickman's high-concept theme of mutants as post-human and creating a new society. Also, aside from Perlmutter, Marvel (editorial in particular) is staffed by progressive hipsters. Poly isn't something that's going to bother them in the slightest.

At any rate, we'll find out in the new Giant-Size X-Men #1.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Yes you have. On every single book. On every single topic. Multiple times a day. We get it. You hate all of the new books. Repeating it over and over isn't going to make the books magically change for you.
    Scroll up. Toward the top of your screen, you'll see a menu bar. The second option from the right should say "Settings". Click on that. In the screen that appears, scroll down. In the bottom left list of items, under "My Account", click "Edit Ignore List".

Using this screen, you (and Striderblack01 and JKtheMac) can set it such that you won't see posts by posters you don't like. Simply cut and paste their user name into the "User Name" field, and click the button labeled "Okay".

Repeat these steps until you've added all the usernames of all the posters who offend you.

Voila!
    Last edited by FUBAR007; 12-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    I disagree. The Moira-related retcons were a massive rewrite of X-Men history. Yes, it's still technically "616", but it's not a continuation of the X-Men narrative as written before. Hickman has started a new narrative.
    It didn't impacted all chaarcters, like it was Barry trying to save his mom. It changed a lot of x-men stories, but it was very chaarcters specific

I think you'll be surprised. Polyamory fits with Hickman's high-concept theme of mutants as post-human and creating a new society. Also, aside from Perlmutter, Marvel (editorial in particular) is staffed by progressive hipsters. Poly isn't something that's going to bother them in the slightest.

At any rate, we'll find out in the new Giant-Size X-Men #1.
    The thing is that polyamori has nothing to do about post-humans, we saw it on animals sometimes and a lot on aliens.
    I mean there is humans that are polyamor LOL
    Also there is ways that society/individual works, and it isn't the way Hickman wants to paint.

Senior positions aren't full of hipsters. freedom is a ilusion on corporations IP

Scroll up. Toward the top of your screen, you'll see a menu bar. The second option from the right should say "Settings". Click on that. In the screen that appears, scroll down. In the bottom left list of items, under "My Account", click "Edit Ignore List".

Using this screen, you (and Striderblack01 and JKtheMac) can set it such that you won't see posts by posters you don't like. Simply cut and paste their user name into the "User Name" field, and click the button labeled "Okay".

Repeat these steps until you've added all the usernames of all the posters who offend you.

Voila!
    Except ignore doesn't work when everyone quotes everyone else.

But my question is still valid: if you hate the new books, why read about them? Why waste your time (and by extension the time of other people) by going through it. When the books were at their worst (IvX era), I stopped reading them. But I didn't spend every waking moment on here insisting multiple times a day on multiple threads that the books were awful and that everyone should stop reading them.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    You obviously Don't if you hold that belief.
    To criticize = to hate is a ridiculous shortcut to make, especially here.
    So you love the books?

I freakin’ knew it!!!

Voila!
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It didn't impacted all chaarcters, like it was Barry trying to save his mom. It changed a lot of x-men stories, but it was very chaarcters specific
    Much of the pre-existing mythos no longer makes sense as written in the context of Hickman's retcons. Thus, it is a soft reboot. Those events still "happened", but not as we originally read them.

If we're drawing parallels to DC, this is closer to Zero Hour (revision of the timeline) than Flashpoint/New 52 (hard reboot).

The thing is that polyamori has nothing to do about post-humans, we saw it on animals sometimes and a lot on aliens.
    I mean there is humans that are polyamor LOL
    Also there is ways that society/individual works, and it isn't the way Hickman wants to paint.
    The bulk of the X-Men come from Western human societies wherein monogamy, particularly in marriage, is considered the "proper" behavior. Having the X-Men embrace polyamory is an example of them casting off preexisting norms and creating their own. This fits with Hickman's broader concept of mutants transcending human rules and restrictions to build their own unique mutant society. The most literal post-human element is the resurrection protocol.

BANNED

But my question is still valid: if you hate the new books, why read about them? Why waste your time (and by extension the time of other people) by going through it. When the books were at their worst (IvX era), I stopped reading them. But I didn't spend every waking moment on here insisting multiple times a day on multiple threads that the books were awful and that everyone should stop reading them.
    Because I don't hate all the books, as stated. I love 3, potentially 4. I'm disenchanted, however, at the flagship book after all the hype about the author and his capabilities. I adore these characters, I hold too much passion for them to walk away; when my faves disappear into the background, then I'm gone, until then I stick with them.

But I'm not arguing about this anymore; you haven't read my posts or, if you have, have distilled them to just 'complaining.'

Mighty Member

Then scroll past them. No one is forcing you to engage.

ISTR quite a bit of grumbling from you about Emma's depiction, among other things, in those days. To be fair, though, that may have been the other PsychoEFrost.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Because I don't hate all the books, as stated. I love 3, potentially 4. I'm disenchanted, however, at the flagship book after all the hype about the author and his capabilities. I adore these characters, I hold too much passion for them to walk away; when my faves disappear into the background, then I'm gone, until then I stick with them.

But I'm not arguing about this anymore; you haven't read my posts or, if you have, have distilled them to just 'complaining.'
    I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but I do get loving the characters and wanting to speak up in defense of certain core ideals. In the ongoing tension between heat and light in this discussion I have actually seen several posts from all involved that made me think, so thank you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JTFSXX View Post
    I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but I do get loving the characters and wanting to speak up in defense of certain core ideals. In the ongoing tension between heat and light in this discussion I have actually seen several posts from all involved that made me think, so thank you.
    Oh no problem; literary critique is an important part of loving a franchise, I find! Appreciating what works but calling out what doesn't; it's all an important part of the process!

I'm liking x-force a lot and a bit less excalibur.=,also enjoyed new mutants.

I think it is important get a notion of what is happeneing on flagship and have good/bad opinions about it

Then scroll past them. No one is forcing you to engage.

ISTR quite a bit of grumbling from you about Emma's depiction, among other things, in those days. To be fair, though, that may have been the other PsychoEFrost.
    >IvX (November 2016-February 2017)
    >Me (Join date June 2018)

Hmm...

Much of the pre-existing mythos no longer makes sense as written in the context of Hickman's retcons. Thus, it is a soft reboot. Those events still "happened", but not as we originally read them.

If we're drawing parallels to DC, this is closer to Zero Hour (revision of the timeline) than Flashpoint/New 52 (hard reboot).
    I still think is hard to see how individually they changed, but it is the price of retcons.

The bulk of the X-Men come from Western human societies wherein monogamy, particularly in marriage, is considered the "proper" behavior. Having the X-Men embrace polyamory is an example of them casting off preexisting norms and creating their own. This fits with Hickman's broader concept of mutants transcending human rules and restrictions to build their own unique mutant society. The most literal post-human element is the resurrection protocol.
    Hickman just forgets that they are raised on human society. That is a big fator about who they are. It's all a artifitial creation and not how societies are born

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Well, we could blame the autism and fixation that causes. But more than that; because I love these characters and I can't just walk away. I can't.

And in any case, I was partaking in the conversation: I was agreeing with someone else and chipping in my two cents. It snowballed from another user's response. Is this truly any different from how these forums have ever operated? Does it really discourage positive expression? I thought it was just a forum, just the internet: it's how it works, isn't it.

Besides, I had a look at these forums during other runs; the O5 for example. That didn't seem any friendlier or healthier; if anything it seemed angrier for less constructive reasons other than "They need to go." And that was repeated over and over. And it's not just me voicing these opinions at any rate.
    But we can do better than the past, can’t we?

As for being unable to walk away, I’m no therapist but that does sound a bit compulsive.
    I don’t mean for this to sound patronizing, but no one will think less of you if you choose to prioritize your mental health over your X-men fandom.

Anyway, it wasn’t my intention to hold you personally accountable for the actions of a group.
    Thank you for providing some insight into your personal purview.

At this point, I would like to invite anyone who is not a fan of this book to drop it and walk away.

lol

Actually, I’ll be making a similar choice this weekend, when I finally get to read the book.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    But why though.

Why are you putting yourself in a position where you need constant catharsis?
    When you have the clearly better and healthier option of just walking away?
    Given people actually PAY to read this content, they are entirely entitled to praise it if they feel it deserves praise or curse it if they feel it deserves curse.
    And somewhere in-between, there's also the option of criticizing some elements of the content, despite liking it in general.
    It's par for the course.

Constantly letting your love lead you to a place where you need to vent is a love that's gone wrong.
    Pretty definitive statement about love and venting, I'd argue that expressing one-self and voicing what we feel or what we think is much healthier than not doing that and bottling up everything - and that include venting at times, yes - but I digress.

"Qui aime bien châtie bien" is a saying in my country, basically that's precisely because someone care about something or someone else that s/he will point out things that are potentially harmful or plain wrong or jarring concerning it/her/him…

That's what's happening here and that's normal.
    As I was saying to that other poster, people need to realize that to criticize or to question things doesn't entail hate of said things.
    That's a childish lecture of the world.

A public forum is a place for expression. And commiseration, over both good and bad stories, is important.
    But there is difference of degree between that and what's been happening for the last few months.
    In what way has it been different? Because people actually explain where they are coming from when posting? Isn't that the healthiest form of exchange people can hope for on a forum such as this one?
    If you've been on these forums for a long time, and I see that you have, you know fairly well that most of the time people Don't elaborate onto what or why they are ruffled by Something in the books.
    Is that what's bothering you here, or is there Something else?

A forum is also a public conversation.
    Bringing constant negativity and criticism coupled with being stubbornly inconsolable is quite frankly, a nuisance to read.
    Then Don't.
    There's litteraly a function to mask posts here, and it makes for an improved reading experience.
    Use it.

It's emotionally exhausting and discourages positive expression. Instead, it just breeds acrimony.
    Meaning your catharsis is having a negative effect on others.
    I'll also add that the X-Boards have notoriously been a pit of negativity for extended period at times.
    Decimation. AvX. The O5. IvX.
    You've been hibernating if you Believe that Domino's posts, or my posts, or the posts of other people questionning some of the elements presented during this new run by Hickman, are a breeding pit of negativity for everyone else.
    Being constantly hammered by people supporting that everything written in DoX is great is just as irritating, if not more when you are not sharing that mainstream opinion.

A forum is not a group therapy session.
    At some point, these negative feelings should be dealt with in a more constructive way.
    Genuinely curious to know how you went through the Bendis era on this forum though.
    Beyond that, sharing povs is Always a good things, even if they are not Always aligned with our own convictions...
    Echo chambers defeat the purpose of a forum designed precisely for people to share their opinion and debate.
    That too is par for the course.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."