Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 611
  1. #556
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,821

    Default

    You just know that Hordeculture are going to comment on Jean smelling like a corpse and Storm caring for nature being fake and a big show

    Can't wait for that confrontationz especially because Storm is designed to be a foil to these 4

  2. #557
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    718

    Default

    Shaw thought it was pretty funny. Scott is trying his best to keep a straight face. Emma is offended and embarrassed. She didn’t laugh off their basic shade, her reaction lended credence to accusation. All three reactions did really. It’s all right if Emma has her not so fresh days. She gets fine ass men and they clearly don’t care that her vagina has an odor.

  3. #558
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I mean, it's not really bitching, it's voicing criticisms about what isn't working for some about an issue. Same as when people post about what does.

    There was a thread funnily enough for "What would you do different in this direction," but then people who liked the new status quo/were happy enough to see where it goes jumped on it and started trolling people for not liking the direction/those who had criticisms anyway. So...
    Hmm I didn't know that's what happened? I admit to being tempted to click into that thread but didn't because as someone who enjoys the new storylines immensely I figured the responses would just annoy me.

    And vice versa I've seen posters who've clearly have fundamental issues with DoX come into threads simply to tell people about how "displeased" they were.

    At the end if the day though this is a comic book forum where people can freely air their praise or grievance.
    Last edited by loke13; 12-07-2019 at 05:16 AM.

  4. #559
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Shaw thought it was pretty funny. Scott is trying his best to keep a straight face. Emma is offended and embarrassed. She didn’t laugh off their basic shade, her reaction lended credence to accusation. All three reactions did really. It’s all right if Emma has her not so fresh days. She gets fine ass men and they clearly don’t care that her vagina has an odor.
    Uff if you are reaching. It was a joke made to offend her and shame her because they are 4 crazy old ladies. Also, the joke was that she dresses like a prostitute and thus she must smell bad because in their minds prostitutes have bad hygiene. It's similar to Emma making a joke about Jean having big feet. It doesn't make it canon that Jean has clown feet. It's a joke.

    If you want to make an argument using logic (even if there is nothing to be logic about since it's a joke) you could say that Emma has been around many people with enhanced sense of smell and not always as friends, and the only thing that came out of that was that she smelled like "Jasmine". Also the distance wouldn't allow the old ladies to smell her body parts unless they're enhanced.

  5. #560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Uff if you are reaching. It was a joke made to offend her and shame her because they are 4 crazy old ladies. Also, the joke was that she dresses like a prostitute and thus she must smell bad because in their minds prostitutes have bad hygiene. It's similar to Emma making a joke about Jean having big feet. It doesn't make it canon that Jean has clown feet. It's a joke.

    If you want to make an argument using logic (even if there is nothing to be logic about since it's a joke) you could say that Emma has been around many people with enhanced sense of smell and not always as friends, and the only thing that came out of that was that she smelled like "Jasmine". Also the distance wouldn't allow the old ladies to smell her body parts unless they're enhanced.
    Well, there could have been something to the "you need to wash yourself" statement, considering both Cyclops and Emma arrived too late to the council meeting at the same time. Would explain Cyclops' embarrassment on being called out and Shaw's amusement (he can read between the lines too).

  6. #561
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Well, there could have been something to the "you need to wash yourself" statement, considering both Cyclops and Emma arrived too late to the council meeting at the same time. Would explain Cyclops' embarrassment on being called out and Shaw's amusement (he can read between the lines too).
    Not really.

    It's the "8" following the pattern of "2"/"4"/"6" that had seen those women ripping each other for the entire issue before Emma turned up.

  7. #562
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    92

    Default

    I think there are two sides to the “I am not happy of this direction” diatribe. Yes people are entitled to an opinion. But when people start posting multiple times in the same thread always repeating themselves they make reading the thread a chore, and they kill the conversation about the story itself. It becomes about the run, the writer or the direction of the line, and necessarily it becomes repetitive: “characters are OOC”, “Hickman dialogue is stiff”, “this book is too plot-driven” repeated ad nauseam.

    I believe thread about the story should be about the story not about voicing distress or unhappiness about an entire line of books or a writer. If people really need to voice their unhappiness with this run, why they don’t make an “Unhappy with the Hickman run” thread for that? Nobody would have a problem with that, ti wouldn’t hijack discussion on episodes or arc, or thread with another intention or topic, looks like it would be the smarter solution.

  8. #563
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    There is one, and we're trying to make use of it again.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

    The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

  9. #564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    I think there are two sides to the “I am not happy of this direction” diatribe. Yes people are entitled to an opinion. But when people start posting multiple times in the same thread always repeating themselves they make reading the thread a chore, and they kill the conversation about the story itself. It becomes about the run, the writer or the direction of the line, and necessarily it becomes repetitive: “characters are OOC”, “Hickman dialogue is stiff”, “this book is too plot-driven” repeated ad nauseam.

    I believe thread about the story should be about the story not about voicing distress or unhappiness about an entire line of books or a writer. If people really need to voice their unhappiness with this run, why they don’t make an “Unhappy with the Hickman run” thread for that? Nobody would have a problem with that, ti wouldn’t hijack discussion on episodes or arc, or thread with another intention or topic, looks like it would be the smarter solution.

    Those are valid criticisms on an issue to issue basis, however, especially in a book where you don't necessarily have an over-arching arc. I do want to reiterate: the dialogue did nothing to further the plot or generate investment, especially in this issue. The grannies were grating and the jokes drawn out, to the point where you just wind up confused at what they're actually trying to say.

    Another thing I'd like to add is that Hickman really needs to learn to write combat situations by the look of it: he needs to make use of Scott's ability to strategise, old ladies or not, same with other characters. It's like choreography within writing; don't just have them spouting things. Use script-time for action direction. You can have entire panels dialogue-less if need be just to show Scott dodging a punch or manoeuvring his way around. Have Emma just watch judgementally even! Not everything needs to be a snappy quip that just bogs down what's going on.

  10. #565
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Frankly, I do hate a lot of Hickman's writing and direction. A lot of it is 'let's do obvious bad idea, and wait for it to blow up in one of the books in 6 months'. I do post a bit of negativity on the weekly issue pages because I'm don't like the writing that's going on now. Its cathartic, and a lot healthier than just bottling it up and stewing.

    But nobody is actively ruining anyone's fun, or trying to say you're terrible or stupid or whatever for liking this. If seeing that people don't like what's going on and are saying why they don't like it is enough to rain on your parade, then that's your problem.

    For this issue and run of X-men specifically, its disappointing. I normally love monster of the week stuff, but such big concepts are getting introduced each issue and dropped/ignored the next, its bizarre. Most series would kill to last 12 issues, and Hickman had that just for worldbuilding. He shouldn't need more
    I think that it should be ready to telling stories than just presenting the new villains and saying goodbye to then on the same issue with a warning "we will see these guys in the future"
    Avengers and FF had less of a problem with this, as they were the only books on a aline. Here we have 5 books going on with a overarching story
    Last edited by spirit2011; 12-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.

  11. #566
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Personally I am liking the book. I like the one in done format, I like Hickman mix of light tones for characters and dialogues opposed to the events that are pretty dramatic (Orchis plans in issue 1, the Arakko war coming in issue 2, ecologic terrorists planning human extinction in issue 3). Art is not really my style, I prefer comic artists that are good at showing emotions and movement (Aja, Immonen, Samnee, Rivera and co.) to the old guard cool-looking but unexpressive big stars (like Yu, or even Mc Niven, Chung etc.) but I would say Yu is at least trying, and the coloring helps a bit.

    I wouldn’t say Hickman is setting up stories for other books, that’s what he did in HOXPOX, where he set up the new mutant status quo, lot of potential event storylines for the future, and literally all the current books. I think what he is doing with this first arc of done in ones is setting up is X-Men run. HOXPOX was about all the mutants and their world, the mutant government, the resurrection process, the new role for the Hellfire club, Moira’s secret and plan, the world reaction to the new status quo etc. Most of this threads fed other books, Hellfire Club in Marauders, the Phalanx/Cosmic stuff in New Mutants, other will go in future books like the resurrection issues or Moira’s book etc.

    Anyway a lot of things happened already, we know Orchis can resurrect people and has possibly new Nimrod plans, Apocalypse is now involved in rescuing Arakko, there is a severe danger to Krakoa survival (as in the island not the government). The Cyclops/Jean/Logan/Emma poly situation keeps being developed, the characters moment in issue 1 were great (Cyclops / Lorna, Cyclops / Corsar).

  12. #567
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,293

    Default

    I'm not seeing any development on the poly situation, only infantile hints that are getting weaker by every issue

  13. #568
    Astonishing Member CoCoBandz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Some bag...
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I'm not seeing any development on the poly situation, only infantile hints that are getting weaker by every issue
    It's gonna turn out that Polaris is actually the mistress.

  14. #569
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!
    Posts
    1,972

    Default

    The "reason" for not crossing the line being that if it became blatant then the titles must be marked for "explicit content," and X-Men are still "supposed" to be for general readership.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

    The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

  15. #570
    Ultimate Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    The "reason" for not crossing the line being that if it became blatant then the titles must be marked for "explicit content," and X-Men are still "supposed" to be for general readership.
    Only if they want to show sex scenes. I remember reading batwoman, it was T+ but when they showed a sex scene it was marked mature content.
    The awful thing that instead of getting development, we get some nothing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •