Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find it odd that Diana wielding a sword is considered problematic by certain fans who think her using a weapon that makes her a living violation of people's free will is acceptable. At least swords have a long association with heroic character, a lasso of control just brings to mind characters like Kilgrave.
    Nobody would be thinking of Kilgrave if Diana was written properly and not someone who would abuse her powers and tools. Even the Jessica Jones show made a point that there was something inherently wrong with Kilgrave as a person to make him use his powers that way, not the powers themselves.

Has Diana ever used the lasso with its original power set in ways similar to Kilgrave? Meanwhile the sword and shield are kind of generic. They are often used as a scapegoat, but I think it'd be best to remove the temptation altogether. The DCEU used them ok so far, but I like that they are seemingly absent in a lot of WW84's marketing and set pics.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nobody would be thinking of Kilgrave if Diana was written properly and not someone who would abuse her powers and tools. Even the Jessica Jones show made a point that there was something inherently wrong with Kilgrave as a person to make him use his powers that way, not the powers themselves.

Has Diana ever used the lasso with its original power set in ways similar to Kilgrave? Meanwhile the sword and shield are kind of generic. They are often used as a scapegoat, but I think it'd be best to remove the temptation altogether. The DCEU used them ok so far, but I like that they are seemingly absent in a lot of WW84's marketing and set pics.
    WW84 seems to completely abandon the sword and shield. Even in the teaser shown she doesn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    WW84 seems to completely abandon the sword and shield. Even in the teaser shown she doesn't have them.
    I haven't been paying super close attention to the movie news, but isn't she going to be wearing the Kingdom Come armor in the movie? I imagine if she does, a sword will accompany it.

Speaking of KC, I think that story art is part of the reason WW commonly carries a sword these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I think it’s because they (and probably DC and WB) think the sword makes her look “cooler” and they believe the sword and shield look appeals more to the male audience than the lasso and bracelets.
    I think that's EXACTLY it, and is a large part of the reason why she comes off as more of a Zena: Warrior Princess knockoff than an actual superhero these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    One word, and this is serious......Xena
    Yep pretty much, the original is knocking off the knock-off

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Idk but I HATE it. Like what's the point honestly? She isn't going to be shown cutting off Despero's hand in a JL comic or decapitating a villain.

If you ask me the lasso and bracelets show off her fighting skills way better. I'm sick of the sword and shield.
    So am I, but if we have to have a sword and shield why not other ancient weapons too? Maces, spears, bow and arrows and battle-axes can be made to look just as cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yep pretty much, the original (Wonder Woman) is knocking off the knock-off (Xena).
    EXACTLY, and it's sad...

Extraordinary Member

Well she did use the sword to blind Darkseid in the New 52 League's first battle with Darkseid.
    Eh, but she didn't need to, nu52 Power Girl went on later to do the same with her hand, I don't imagine it not something Diana couldn't also do.

Has Diana ever used the lasso with its original power set in ways similar to Kilgrave?
    Well there was that time in the Golden Age she made her doctor stand on her head.

Meanwhile the sword and shield are kind of generic. They are often used as a scapegoat, but I think it'd be best to remove the temptation altogether. The DCEU used them ok so far, but I like that they are seemingly absent in a lot of WW84's marketing and set pics.
    Keep in mind, the first mainstream adaptation to have Diana act like an overly violent dolt was the DCAU. If the sword and shield aren't around, it won't necessarily stop her from being depicted that way.

And it isn't like there wouldn't be a temptation to have Diana abuse the lasso's power if the writer has such a story in mind.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-05-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Well she did use the sword to blind Darkseid in the New 52 League's first battle with Darkseid.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Her final fight against Superman in DCeased.
    Maybe they should just make the sword for really special battles only rather then one of her regular gear.
    Keep in mind, the first mainstream adaptation to have Diana act like an overly violent dolt was the DCAU. If the sword and shield aren't around, it won't necessarily stop her from being depicted that way.
    Speaking of DCAU Diana, I hated how in Justice League vs Fatal Five they had her randomly swinging around a sword. It felt so unnecessary and clashing with the design, and she ended up not even needing it to defeat Persuader.

BANNED

Sword and Shield makes her look a bit off...Say what you will about the Lasso and Braces, but at least it's how Wonder WOman should be ID by all.

I think because they want the whole warrior thing. For some weird reason they want sword and shield because she is a warrior.

Even back during the Perez reboot, she geared up when leaving Themyscira...

...and she’d bust out the sword and shield (and axe and spear and armor) when she was heading into deep poop. So there’s precedent for it.

When she showed up w. sword and shield in the New 52, it reflected her minimal time in man’s world, and how serious the mission against Darkseid was. I figured she’d lose the weaponry as she settled in.

For the record i’m in the “bust it out when heading into deep poop” camp. It should be a moment that lets readers know things just got real.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't mind when things get real it's the fact they lost the seriousness when she always carries them on her now.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 12-05-2019 at 07:21 PM.

I don't mind when things get real it's the fact they lost the seriousness when she always carries them on her now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well there was that time in the Golden Age she made her doctor stand on her head.
    Yeah when she first got it. And was admonished by Hippolyta in the very next panel. Did she ever abuse it in such a way again or treat it with respect?

Because unless we have some panels where she uses it to rape people, assuming people would associate her with a piece of crape like Kilgrave is an enormous stretch.

And it isn't like there wouldn't be a temptation to have Diana abuse the lasso's power if the writer has such a story in mind.
    So the problem wouldn't be the lasso at its original power level, but the writers. if they don't have that, they'd find another outlet to ruin her. Same with the sword and shield.

But the sword is a more recent example that has been used in OTT ways in modern comics, so it is fresh in people's minds. As much of a violent dolt she was in DCAU, she wasn't dismembering people or stabbing them. And since WW is a massive weapon by herself, why should she need a stereotypical weapon, let alone a phallic one instead of her traditional yonic one?

Yeah when she first got it. And was admonished by Hippolyta in the very next panel. Did she ever abuse it in such a way again or treat it with respect?

Because unless we have some panels where she uses it to rape people, assuming people would associate her with a piece of crape like Kilgrave is an enormous stretch.
    I will admit Kilgrave is the more extreme reaction but there is a reason mind control is a power associated with villains more than heroes.

But the sword is a more recent example that has been used in OTT ways in modern comics, so it is fresh in people's minds. As much of a violent dolt she was in DCAU, she wasn't dismembering people or stabbing them.
    Probably only because Timm and Dini couldn't get away with it. But that show does make it clear it is entirely possible to flanderize Diana's violent nature without a sword in her hand. Yes the sword is more fresh in people's minds so that makes it a target but it's missing the forest for the trees.

And since WW is a massive weapon by herself, why should she need a stereotypical weapon, let alone a phallic one instead of her traditional yonic one?
    It's not like she can't use both. For all the talk of the lasso being replaced, it's still around still used.