Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I never said a sword can't be sinister, I said it isn't as sinister as mind control.

Also, if someone as despicable as Cale can see the problems the lasso, that is something to take note of.
    yes but you did say a sword can be used responsibly, but seem resistant to the idea that lasso can be used responsibly as well.

Cale pointing out how dangerous the lasso is is also common sense. Of course it's dangerous. All superhumans and their powers and weapons are potentially very dangerous if they abuse them. Diana is not a character who would, and Cale is just projecting her cynicism and envy onto her to justify her actions. Her pointing out the problems is nothing to take note of to signal writers not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    yes but you did say a sword can be used responsibly, but seem resistant to the idea that lasso can be used responsibly as well.

Cale pointing out how dangerous the lasso is is also common sense. Of course it's dangerous. All superhumans and their powers and weapons are potentially very dangerous if they abuse them. Diana is not a character who would, and Cale is just projecting her cynicism and envy onto her to justify her actions. Her pointing out the problems is nothing to take note of to signal writers not to use it.
    Fair enough. I'll concede.

I used to not have an opinion and Wondie using a sword and shield, I really didn't care either way. But then I started looking around the internet, and honestly the way some fans get upset over it like it's some kind of disservice or sacrilege with a strong sense of "Not my Diana!" has really pushed me to root for the sword and shield these days. Like, I know how petty it is, but if anything the more I hear complaints about it, the more armed I want her to become. Like give it a few years and I might be like, "Hey, a Wonder Woman comic run where she uses a machine gun or a bazooka in every panel might just be what this fandom needs."

That feeling increases doubly or triply so whenever someone tries the whole "the sword is a phallic and thus male symbol" argument, blegh.

Mighty Member

...What about the bata...boomerang tiara? Wonder Woman tends to have quite the unique arsenal that no one wants to use.

Gal Gadot Reveals Why Wonder Woman Won't Use The Sword And Shield In The Sequel

"Wonder Woman does not carry a weapon," Gadot explained. "We had an intention to let go of the sword, because there’s something very aggressive with a sword. If you have a sword, it means you need to use it. So we wanted to give that up. And we didn’t feel that the shield was necessary either. She’s a goddess, she can fight, she’s super strong, and she has the skills. So no, she has the gauntlets. She has the lasso. She has her tiara and that’s about it."

Amazing Member

Well, quite simple, warriors do use weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Serpis View Post
    Well, quite simple, warriors do use weapons
    I agree. Characterizing amazons as warriors is historically correct. So seeing them with swords, shield, spears and bows makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I agree. Characterizing amazons as warriors is historically correct. So seeing them with swords, shield, spears and bows makes sense.
    These are not the "historic" Amazons of Myth. Don't confuse them with the (mostly inaccurate) depictions of those Amazons

They are DC's version. Their goal has always been peace and love. And yes, they often had to take arms to preserve that. And while Dc has never shied away from showing them as amazing warriors, that's not all they are.

I am reminded (reading an interview with Phil Jimenez) that in Perez's Amazons, once Dooms Doorway was destroyed, they gladly gave up their armor and weapons to live on the Island in peace and paradise.

There are tons of sword wielding characters out here. Diana's gifts are unique and were designed for her with specific meaning. They are defensive. They contain and deflect. They are not purposefully killing weapons. A sword, an axe--- those are meant specifically to cause harm and death.

Unless there's some huge cosmic baddie to go against, they shouldn't be her go to weapons. Besides, there's so much more stuff that's visually cooler about her brandishing a glowing golden lasso than swinging a sword, and it's way cooler to deflect bullets with bracelets than with a shield.