Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove discussion

With the Winter Meetings coming up, MLB's hot stove is warming up. There have been a few key moves already- the biggest of which was Yasmani Grandal signed with the White Sox (who also resigned Joe Abreu) and the Reds signing Mike Moustakas.

and today Cole Hamels signed a one-year deal for $18 millipn with the Braves and Zack Wheeler signed a 5 year $118 million deal with the Phillies.

Still lots of big names out there (Rendon, Strasburg, and Cole the biggest most likely) and potential big names dealt, so we will see what happens.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The signing of Hamels by Atlanta surprised me as I thought they had their eyes on MadBum. Still, as a Phillies fan, I’m happy at the signing of Wheeler who makes for a solid number two behind Aaron Nola, and it weakens the Mets to boot.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Angels just traded 4 minor leaguers to the Orioles for Dylan Bundy. They are desperate for pitching, but that's a lot to give up for a guy who never lived up to his first round potential.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Everyone here in Cincinnati was shocked by the singing of Mike Moustakas. It is not like the Reds to pay that kind of money. I am very pleased with this signing. It shows the reds are serious about making a good team.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Everyone here in Cincinnati was shocked by the singing of Mike Moustakas. It is not like the Reds to pay that kind of money. I am very pleased with this signing. It shows the reds are serious about making a good team.
    They overpaid for a an aging veteran who doesn't have a true position. To me, it reads more like a desperate team trying to reverse dropping season ticket sales and tv viewership because they've been terrible for a decade by convincing them they are spending money like a "good" team except they spent it on a used car whose best days are behind it. Moustakas is the kind of piece a good team goes and gets to fill one of the last roles, not a player to build around to try to field a winner. There are a lot better pieces out there they could have gone out and gotten if they had any clue about team building, but they don't. This is the team that a few years back had a fire sale and traded every one of their aging veterans for second base prospects (they got like 4-5 second base prospects at one trading deadline through the following offseason when they traded off Jay Bruce and others), and not one of those panned out, so now they are signing an aging veteran to play second base. The move may show they are now willing to spend money, but it shows they still have no clue how to put together a good team.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    They overpaid for a an aging veteran who doesn't have a true position. To me, it reads more like a desperate team trying to reverse dropping season ticket sales and tv viewership because they've been terrible for a decade by convincing them they are spending money like a "good" team except they spent it on a used car whose best days are behind it. Moustakas is the kind of piece a good team goes and gets to fill one of the last roles, not a player to build around to try to field a winner. There are a lot better pieces out there they could have gone out and gotten if they had any clue about team building, but they don't. This is the team that a few years back had a fire sale and traded every one of their aging veterans for second base prospects (they got like 4-5 second base prospects at one trading deadline through the following offseason when they traded off Jay Bruce and others), and not one of those panned out, so now they are signing an aging veteran to play second base. The move may show they are now willing to spend money, but it shows they still have no clue how to put together a good team.

-M
    While I dont think its a good idea to build a team around him I think he is a good piece to add to a competitive team. I will give him a chance and see how he does.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    While I dont think its a good idea to build a team around him I think he is a good piece to add to a competitive team. I will give him a chance and see how he does.
    The problem is the Reds aren't a competitive team yet, and haven't been for quite some time. They need 3-4 other pieces before a signing like Moustakas would make sense.

-M

The Nats resign Howie Kendrick to a one year 6.25 Million deal.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Rays trade Tommy Pham to the Padres for Hunter Renfroe and Xavier Edwards (a highly regarded 2B prospect), which sent Rays pitcher Blake Snell into a tirade on his Twitch account.

-M

Word has it the Phils are "all in" for Nationals' 3B Anthony Rendon who could command a contract as much as $200 million. Speaking of the Nats, their owner came out and said yesterday that the team can't afford to keep for Rendon and pitcher Stephen Strasburg. Is it possible they could lose both?

This has been the hottest start to an offseason I've seen in baseball in a while, Braves have been extremely active and are spending actual money for the first time in years

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The signing of Hamels by Atlanta surprised me as I thought they had their eyes on MadBum. Still, as a Phillies fan, I’m happy at the signing of Wheeler who makes for a solid number two behind Aaron Nola, and it weakens the Mets to boot.
    Wheeler was honestly overpaid even if I think the Phillies were put in a situation where they had to pay it(especially after the Braves snapped up Hamels), and Bumgarner seems to be headed in a similar direction, though allegedly the Braves are still thought to be in the mix for him. Personally I think they went with Hamels so they could afford to resign Josh Donaldson again, who most teams are still looking at as only a backup when they don't get Rendon.

So hoping the rumor that the Phillies are all in on Rendon is true. Just heard it this morning. That would be huge if they get him.

Can't believe Cole signed with the Braves. But with that kind of money they gave him...

I wish the Reds would do something to move on from trevor bauer this off season. I really dont want him around any more.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Word has it the Phils are "all in" for Nationals' 3B Anthony Rendon who could command a contract as much as $200 million. Speaking of the Nats, their owner came out and said yesterday that the team can't afford to keep for Rendon and pitcher Stephen Strasburg. Is it possible they could lose both?
    The most important question is, can Philly grab free agents from places other than the NL East.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The most important question is, can Philly grab free agents from places other than the NL East.
    I rather like this strategy, mainly because it weakens the competition the division.