Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I rather like this strategy, mainly because it weakens the competition the division.
    Washington must not have gotten the memo.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The most important question is, can Philly grab free agents from places other than the NL East.
    Honestly unsure if the Phillies have another big deal in them at all regardless of rumors, this is an excerpt from an article on the Atlantic by Matt Gelb(stuck behind a paywall)

This is the equation: The Phillies need an infielder, one more starting pitcher and at least three relievers. They must fill those holes while operating on a budget. One estimate of their current payroll, when calculated for luxury-tax purposes, puts them at $188 million (including projected salaries for their arbitration-eligible players). That leaves roughly $20 million to solve the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Washington must not have gotten the memo.
    Washington's owner has already said outright they can't afford to resign both Strasburg and Rendon(and everyone agrees Strasburg is the one they'll bring back), so it's just a matter of cash, for them it's been obvious since they tried to offer Harper and Rendon a TON of deferred money on their extension offers, MLB teams seemingly hate going over their soft cap even more than NBA teams do, one of the reasons why the Cubs and Red Sox are blowing it up already.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-08-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Strasburg resigns with the Nats for 7 years $245 million.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Washington resigns Strasburg for 7 years 35 million AAV, think that means Coles bidding starts at 8 years 36 million AAV and might go up to 10 years

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Washington resigns Strasburg for 7 years 35 million AAV, think that means Coles bidding starts at 8 years 36 million AAV and might go up to 10 years
    That would certainly price everyone out of the running save for the Yankees (who’ve made him their priority) and perhaps the Dodgers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Strasburg resigns with the Nats for 7 years $245 million.

-M
    Daaaaaaaaamn I forgot from realizing how big MLB salaries have gotten.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Keep in mind that is a record contract.

It's also pretty dumb, and is only going to make Cole's contract even dumber.

Stras is now likely a career National, so it's a front loaded contract for a "franchise icon." I certainly wouldn't sign Cole to ten years, but good for him, I suppose.

That would certainly price everyone out of the running save for the Yankees (who’ve made him their priority) and perhaps the Dodgers.
    Angels are allegedly still in pay him whatever it takes mode, so it'd be those three teams, though the Dodgers are linked to every big name running around like Rendon too, and I just have a hard time seeing a team that was luxury tax offender last year surging over the tax threshold as much as multiple huge contracts would take them.

Angels are allegedly still in pay him whatever it takes mode, so it'd be those three teams, though the Dodgers are linked to every big name running around like Rendon too, and I just have a hard time seeing a team that was luxury tax offender last year surging over the tax threshold as much as multiple huge contracts would take them.
    I can't imagine Anaheim shelling out that kind of money on Cole after they already opened the vault for Mike Trout barely a year ago.

At the moment they have about 50 million in luxury tax space so they could eat a 9 year 325 million contract(which is supposedly the current high the bidding might go to, roughly 36 mil AAV)

Yankees are already 2 million over the luxury tax, they have been willing to go over before, but how much who knows, after all Judge only has two arbitration years left and then he'll be getting Bryce Harper money at least.

I love baseball. It is a fun game to watch. But it amazes me how much these people get paid to play a child's game.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I can't imagine Anaheim shelling out that kind of money on Cole after they already opened the vault for Mike Trout barely a year ago.
    I think part of the the agreement when they extended Trout was a promise they would go out and spend money to put talent around him so he could play on a contender in his career, so I can see them shelling out for one more big contract, especially for an ace they haven't had in a decade or more.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

News and notes...

Didi Gregorius signs a 1 year deal with the Phillies in the $14 million range

Angels dump salary and trade Zach Cozart and his $13 million contract to the Giants along with their #4 prospect for a player to be named later, given them flexibility to sign or trade for a higher priced player. Their GM said today they have the flexibility to sign 2 players of $10 million or more per year, so they will likely be in on Cole and have sent feeler to the Red Sox about David Price.

Adam Jones (formerly of Baltimore and Arizona) has signed a 2 year deal to play in Japan.

And the inaugural All MLB team was announced today (a new post-season All Star recognition for full season performance rather than hot first half the way the All Star Game does)

Here's the first and second team selections:

First Team
    C: J.T. Realmuto, Phillies
    1B: Pete Alonso, Mets
    2B: DJ LeMahieu, Yankees
    3B: Anthony Rendon, Nationals*
    SS: Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox
    OF: Mike Trout, Angels
    OF: Cody Bellinger, Dodgers
    OF: Christian Yelich, Brewers
    DH: Nelson Cruz, Twins
    SP: Gerrit Cole, Astros*
    SP: Justin Verlander, Astros
    SP: Jacob deGrom, Mets
    SP: Max Scherzer, Nationals
    SP: Stephen Strasburg, Nationals
    RP: Kirby Yates, Padres
    RP: Josh Hader, Brewers

Second Team
    C: Yasmani Grandal, Brewers*
    1B: Freddie Freeman, Braves
    2B: Jose Altuve, Astros
    3B: Alex Bregman, Astros
    SS: Marcus Semien, A's
    OF: Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves
    OF: Juan Soto, Nationals
    OF: Mookie Betts, Red Sox
    DH: Yordan Alvarez, Astros
    SP: Zack Greinke, D-backs/Astros
    SP: Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dodgers*
    SP: Jack Flaherty, Cardinals
    SP: Charlie Morton, Rays
    SP: Mike Soroka, Braves
    RP: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees
    RP: Liam Hendriks, A's

-M

Welp the domino's fallen, Cole signs with the Yankees, 9 years and 324 million

Welp the domino's fallen, Cole signs with the Yankees, 9 years and 324 million
    In a word----WOW!! Now to see what happens with MadBum who figures to be the hottest pitcher on the free agent market:

Bumgarner reportedly wants nine-figure deal