Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MARVEL debuts Chinese Superhero titles

They look like manga. And we can't read them (there's no English release planned), so, meh.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They look like manga. And we can't read them (there's no English release planned), so, meh.
    We? Whose this we you’re referring to?
    Just because you haven’t bothered to learn one of the planets most spoken languages doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    https://technode.com/2018/05/09/marv...e-superheroes/

Says here that both will be published later in the US. Also this looks really interesting. I wonder if this will become a whole line of Chinese oriented books. I wonder if the Chinese will like it.

Edit: Also the style if more manhua. (The chinese version of manga but they're some differences. Like being in full color.)

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    https://technode.com/2018/05/09/marv...e-superheroes/

Says here that both will be published later in the US. Also this looks really interesting. I wonder if this will become a whole line of Chinese oriented books. I wonder if the Chinese will like it.

Edit: Also the style if more manhua. (The chinese version of manga but they're some differences. Like being in full color.)
    I certainly hope so!

What's cool is of course also that since there are so incredibly many Chinese, they don't really have to get big penetration, not a lot of coverage, for it to be potentially profitable - if the books only crack 32,000 copies sold, each, then that's a success! That would warrant publishing them for YEARS to come...!

Think about it - competition is, as I understand it, MUCH lesser in China, and there's a BILLION people...! Even if the potential customers are percentually as low, or even lower, than in the U.S + UK direct market, then there's still great potential. You also have the fact that Chinese comic creators might have much lower wages than in the U.S - this increases chances of profitability.

Especially since I figure Marvel would look at it as an investment.

So yeah, here's to hoping for at least SOME new Chinese Marvel fans! = )

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hope they treat this like Marvel UK back in the day and make it part of Earth 616 even if the books are for the Chinese audience - particularly in today's market where you can theoretically buy them online. But this seems like a good idea for Marvel to expand their readership even if it's not about helping the bottom line for American comics.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member

I don't know anything about the Chinese comic book market, but hope this works out well for Marvel.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Methinks they're doing IP development for future movie characters. China is a huge audience for Marvel's films now.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Sounds like an interesting idea. I really feel like Marvel Comics takes the international market for granted, so this could be a way to change that. The link made it sound like they are digital comics, so I wonder if they're gonna come in exclusive digital format once they're translated to english too.

DC has done it better. I'm all for seeing the non-US marvel universe though.

Make japanese comics too. I NEED Marvel Mahou Shoujo.

Would be cool if there was some interaction with the main heroes. Could give them some staying power.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Make japanese comics too. I NEED Marvel Mahou Shoujo.
    They have characters that could fit right into that. Like Radiance for example. I'm happy to see some international comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    They have characters that could fit right into that. Like Radiance for example. I'm happy to see some international comics.
    Yeah, bring her back, I liked her in All-New Invaders.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

keep the continuity totally separate.