Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    lack of reconciliation was a big part of what was missing with his return. there was no emotional impact. no heart
    You could tell PAD had no emotional attachment to the character and was more interested in what he could make Ben into rather than celebrate what Ben has historically represented as a character.

-Pav, who doesn't begrudge PAD his artistic choices...
    2019 Marvel Monthly Buys: Superior Spider-Man Runaways Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors Silver Surfer: Black Death's Head House of X Powers of X Contagion

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    You could tell PAD had no emotional attachment to the character and was more interested in what he could make Ben into rather than celebrate what Ben has historically represented as a character.

-Pav, who doesn't begrudge PAD his artistic choices...
    PAD and slott both

i don’t begrudge him his choices either, but i’d guess that for a lot of ben fans part of what they were looking for was an addressing of the emotional loose ends from the 90s both in-universe and for their inner kid irl

ben’s return had none of that, but it was a kinda interesting failed experiment
    Last edited by boots; 12-05-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    lack of reconciliation was a big part of what was missing with his return. there was no emotional impact. no heart
    Yea I know if I had been dead for going on 20+ years and suddenly came back to the fold one of my biggest questions aside from "how the hell did I come back?" would be "what's happened since I was gone?" It really seems like for a while Marvel just wanted us all to forget about the Clone Saga and the events thereof (along with Peter's marriage to MJ), but then why would they bring back Ben (arguably the catalyst or central pillar of the Clone Saga) in such a big way? Some of the decisions made by Marvel's editorial just makes no sense at times.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Yea I know if I had been dead for going on 20+ years and suddenly came back to the fold one of my biggest questions aside from "how the hell did I come back?" would be "what's happened since I was gone?" It really seems like for a while Marvel just wanted us all to forget about the Clone Saga and the events thereof (along with Peter's marriage to MJ), but then why would they bring back Ben (arguably the catalyst or central pillar of the Clone Saga) in such a big way? Some of the decisions made by Marvel's editorial just makes no sense at times.
    that was one of the more interesting aspects of the 90s saga- how ben reacted to peter’s life in the years he’d been gone, acting as a mirror for peter in some ways
    troo fan or death

I'm not sure Marvel's learned any lesson since there isn't a consistently successful approach to the character.