Maya -- India
    Grunge -- Hong Kong
    Red Star -- Russia
    New Atlantian Sorcerer character -- Atlantis
    Wrapper -- Lower Pluxa
    Isis -- Kandahq
    Fire -- Brazil
    Rising Sun -- Japan
    Oracle -- USA (Also an excuse to call rotating cast of American heroes)
    Batwing -- Congo
    Pteradon -- Israel
    Plastique -- Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    DL/PPG parodied the trend with their Agents of AWSM!
    Your team would fit right in!

Missing Comrade-Red, Sam-R-I and Tiki-Torch!
    Oh wow! I'd forgotten about them. But, yes, they are the opposites of this "challenge".
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I love these threads...

So mine would be a big, JLU kind of thing. Not everyone needs to be on all the time but there's a deep talent pool to draw from.

Peacemaker - United States
    Dark Crow - Canada
    Tsunami - Japan
    Celsius - India
    Ranger - Australia
    August General in Iron - China
    Congorilla - Scotland
    Extrano - Peru
    Jet - Jamaica
    Crimson Fox - France
    Vixen - Zambesi
    Ramban - Israel
    Beaumont - England
    Lady Flash - Russia
    Acrata - Mexico
    Javelin - Germany
    Ya'Wara - Brazil
    Catapult - Italy
    Peacemaker is inspired! Congorilla for Scotland? Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    No stereotypes! ....:

* No hero on the team may have a costume based on the flag of their country.
    * No hero can be based on,...... history, ...of their country.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Rocket Red - Russia
    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Red Star -- Russia
    I'm not claiming to be the arbiter here, just making conversation:
    Although not directly the flag, yet recognized and used in state and gov. emblems and symbols of the soviet era history, wouldn't the "red Star" specifically invoked on both these character's outfits, costumes and themes, fall under cliche to be avoided by the OP's guideline ?

Rising Sun -- Japan
    Isn't he straight wearing the flag and symbol of Japan?

Dark Crow - Canada
    This one is interesting, as fan of Global Guardians, I'd absolutely default to Owlwoman(Wenonah Littlebird) to rep US.
    Yet I left her off on the grounds of...
    Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    No stereotypes! ....:
    * No hero can be from, or be based on, the mythology,... or folklore of their country.
    So by the OP's definition, this brings up an interesting question; what constitutes the mythology / folklore of a country? Both Owlwoman and Dark Crow somewhat invoke native american mythology, (he also appears to wear the Maple leaf of the Canadian flag) again I'm not being an arbiter or trying to be combative, just making conversation, the OP established some specific and somewhat challenging conditions in choosing characters to call attention to something, and make it interesting. And it does.

Acrata - Mexico
    Similarly invokes Mayan symbol and mythology

Maya -- India
    May invoke the mythology of Shiva, and somewhat in her heavily stylized, costume and weapon. At least that is what she is mistaken for by her people.

Isis -- Kandahq
    And of course Isis in her name amulet and again stylized costume clearly invokes the goddess Isis which is recognized as part of "the mythology, history, ... folklore" of Egypt.

Is making her from Kandahq (a fictitious stand-in county) enough to disassociate that here?

Again this isn't a challenge, not asking anyone feel they need to defend any choices, just if they want to discuss them further, this is just in the fun spirit of the "twist" of the OP's exercise.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2019 at 10:15 AM.

DL/PPG parodied the trend with their Agents of AWSM!
    Your team would fit right in!

Missing Comrade-Red, Sam-R-I and Tiki-Torch!
    Wanted to try a toon team based on this that met the original stips, so in order...:

Last edited by Riv86672; 12-06-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Wanted to try a toon team based on this that met the original stips, so in order...:

Audrey Rodriguez (Mexico)
    Kwama (Africa)
    Not for nothing, but you said "Audrey Rodriguez (Mexico)". I think Audrey Ramirez is Puerto Rican American (Bio- born; Dearborn Michigan). Not just interchangeable with Mexican
    And "Kwama (Africa)" yeah Kwame (while I think Captain planet broke it down to continents) Your whole list is otherwise countries, then you list Africa for one. LOL! Only mentioning it cause it's just another common cliche pitfall that pops up.
    That would be a fun list of characters to see teamed up.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Audrey Rodriguez (Ramirez?) was listed as a Mexican character, I haven’t seen her movie in years; so either she’s Mexican, or someone thought she was interchangeable!

And Kwame is from Ghana Africa. So, Africa.
    I was looking for someone African, and Ghana is in the continent of Africa. If i’d been looking for someone from Ghana specifically, I wouldn’t have used someone from Zaire.
    Same as Ben 10. I was looking for an American specifically, so even though Canada, Bermuda, Mexico etc. are in North America I couldn’t have used characters from those North American countries.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 12-06-2019 at 10:28 AM.

So by the OP's definition, this brings up an interesting question; what constitutes the mythology / folklore of a country? Both Owlwoman and Dark Crow somewhat invoke native american mythology, (he also appears to wear the Maple leaf of the Canadian flag) again I'm not being an arbiter or trying to be combative, just making conversation, the OP established some specific and somewhat challenging conditions in choosing characters to call attention to something, and make it interesting. And it does.

Similarly invokes Mayan symbol and mythology
    I'd argue that the nature of Dark Crow's powers don't necessarily tie him to the First Nations mythology in the way that it does characters like Shaman from Alpha Flight. I put him down to more the power base of Nightshade or the Shade. I forgot about the maple leaf on his outfit, though (even though I remembered he worked for the RCMP). And I misremembered Acrata's ties to Mayan myths, probably because the version that's appearing on SUPERGIRL right now is most prevalent in my head.

Funny that the two missteps were both shadow-based characters!

Audrey Rodriguez (Ramirez?) was listed as a Mexican character, I haven’t seen her movie in years; so either she’s Mexican, or someone thought she was interchangeable!

And Kwame is from Ghana Africa. So, Africa.
    I was looking for someone African, and Ghana is in the continent of Africa. If i’d been looking for someone from Ghana specifically, I wouldn’t have used someone from Zaire.
    Same as Ben 10. I was looking for an American specifically, so even though Canada, Bermuda, Mexico etc. are in North America I couldn’t have used characters from those North American countries.
    the thing is Africa isn't homogenous, there is a myriad of ethnic/cultural distinctions like any other continent; using your example, Ben 10 is specifically from the US not flatly North America. Kwame isn't from all of Africa, in fact you pointed out he's specifically from Ghana, so it's more than a little odd that while everyone else is divvied up by their country not their continent, he's listed as the entirety of Africa even though (again) you know which specific country he's from. I wholly can't blame you and i'm not trying to be combative, it's an annoyingly persistent pitfall in western media, but as a Nigerian American who's had to put up with the conflation for most of my life I felt it was important to point out that's it's a pretty dismissive and problematic trope because it's a wild oversimplification of thousands of cultures and implies (non-intentionally or otherwise) that all African cultures and nations are interchangeable; which they are not. while this may or may not be a significant distinction to you, it's due to these kinds of oversimplifications that people tend to have such a limited idea of Africa (huts and mud even tho it's the 21st century, supposedly no history before colonialism, mistaking Africa for a country etc.)
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-06-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Well, I can’t change the way Africa is set up, nor do I think I have the right to try. I picked someone from the African continent, and if asked for more specificity I can narrow it down to the actual Country, so i’m happy.
    When real life Ghana Native Kofi Kingston...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wre...-wwe-champion/

...is described (and describes himself) as African-born (from Ghana) I think i’m not in the minority on how a person from that part of the world is normally described.
    The article is pretty interesting.

This is the last i’ll be addressing this subject. I’m not trying to get into political debate, as i’m not a political person.
    Though I do find it funny that my calling an African cartoon character African has generated more feedback than Cartoon Network letting an African cartoon character be called frikkin’ MANDINGO.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 12-06-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Peacemaker is inspired! Congorilla for Scotland? Yes!
    I thought Peacemaker was from Swizterland? (or some incarnation of him)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought Peacemaker was from Swizterland? (or some incarnation of him)
    He was born in NYC but raised in Switzerland, per the DC Database site.

Well, I can’t change the way Africa is set up, nor do I think I have the right to try. I picked someone from the African continent, and if asked for more specificity I can narrow it down to the actual Country, so i’m happy.
    When real life Ghana Native Kofi Kingston...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wre...-wwe-champion/

...is described (and describes himself) as African-born (from Ghana) I think i’m not in the minority on how a person from that part of the world is normally described.
    The article is pretty interesting.

This is the last i’ll be addressing this subject. I’m not trying to get into political debate, as i’m not a political person.
    Though I do find it funny that my calling an African cartoon character African has generated more feedback than Cartoon Network letting an African cartoon character be called frikkin’ MANDINGO.
    no need to get in a huff and defensive, i'm just pointing out why it is odd as someone who is actually African, just because a Ghanian wrestler for an American entertainment institution said African instead of Ghanian one time or whatever doesn't really negate what I was saying; Mandingo needs no explanation because everyone knows why that's problematic. it's not a "political debate" and no one asked you to change the set up of Africa, those comments kinda show you're missing the point. But hey man, do you,, like i said i'm not out to be combative; I've made my point whether you wanna take it into consideration, or reject it, or provide feedback is entirely your propagative my guy.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-06-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

double post

currently following:

He was born in NYC but raised in Switzerland, per the DC Database site.
    Raised in Switzerland. I’d forgotten that!