Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Marvel Comics that still better than the MCU contents

If the you are a fans of Hulk, and then you read Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk run compared to the portrayal of Hulk in the mcu. It put that big screen Hulk to shame. What else do you have mind you think comics still did better than the MCU or (Other Marvel movies like X-Men).

Simonson's Thor.
    Waid and Garney's Captain America.
    Peter David's Hulk.
    Micheline and Layton's Iron Man
    Stern's Doc Strange
    Srtern's Spider-Man
    Micheline's Spider-Man
    DnA's GotG
    And I could go on and on. In fact, most of the classic comics runs are light-years better than the movies (as much as I loved many of them). They are the source material, plus, there's space to develop much more the characters and the conflicts than in a two-three hours movie. I find it sad that, in favor of "synergy", writers and editors seem to have forgotten this.

Peace

The Ultimates themselves, the starting point used to build the MCU from. Ultimate Captain America in WWII is the most badass sequence ever put to print, MCU Captain America in WWII was just a dancing buffoon (I had never felt so tempted to leave the cinema early than with that "Star Spangled Man With A Plan" nonsense). Ultimate Chitauri are real menaces, MCU Chitauri are just flying mooks without even lines of their own.

BANNED

It's a different kind of entertainment medium that doesn't tell stories the same. You can adequately compare stories from the same medium, but to cross mediums is apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The Ultimates themselves, the starting point used to build the MCU from. Ultimate Captain America in WWII is the most badass sequence ever put to print, MCU Captain America in WWII was just a dancing buffoon (I had never felt so tempted to leave the cinema early than with that "Star Spangled Man With A Plan" nonsense). Ultimate Chitauri are real menaces, MCU Chitauri are just flying mooks without even lines of their own.
    Ehhhhhh
    Ok I don't know if you are serious, joking or just attempting a polite trolling.
    In any case Ultiimates had its big showy moments but for most part had become unreadable the more one grow far from teenage/early 20s of their life. the badassarey is udneniable, but so is rthe immense characters assholery typical of certain writers of the early millenium, I mean I am fair sure that Mark Millar is physically uncapable of writing anyone who isn't an unrepentant jerk or insufferable assholes(albeit Jupiter Legacy is pleasant surprise, he seem to come to term that perhaps arrogant violent drunkard is not the best heroic example one could write).
    < I will always find time to **** on Mark millar btw...Bendis at least knwo how to write funny banter, Ellis can cook some intriguing plots, Morrison is trippy, Ennis-when one ignore the crass humor and ultraviolence-can pen down some deep emotional moment(provided he work with an artist who can pen emotions well...noticed that his writing work much less well without poor strongly missed Steve Dillon)...but Millar....Millar is so so obviously a cheater who aim to shock because is the only thing he has>

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    It's a different kind of entertainment medium that doesn't tell stories the same. You can adequately compare stories from the same medium, but to cross mediums is apples and oranges.
    Exactly. Claiming superiority one over other is like saying Opera is superior or inferior to Rock and roll. Also popularity is relative in term of high quality and abyssam disaster all form of artistic creation are kind of equal. It all depend on what is hp and cool in a moment, if hit the right zetgeist spot, and if can last longer. Comics have, much like all literature better chance to be re-read, but is a notch really.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    If the you are a fans of Hulk, and then you read Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk run compared to the portrayal of Hulk in the mcu. It put that big screen Hulk to shame. What else do you have mind you think comics still did better than the MCU or (Other Marvel movies like X-Men).
    Understand something....

There is some stuff you can get away with in one or the other.

50 issues of Al Ewing's Hulk can not be compressed into 2-3 hour Hulk movie.

And lets not forget you are under a different set of rules with comics and movies.

Some classic stories could be left alone and present as close to the source as they can for a movie.

Others-you can forget. They have to have changes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Ehhhhhh
    Ok I don't know if you are serious, joking or just attempting a polite trolling.
    In any case Ultiimates had its big showy moments but for most part had become unreadable the more one grow far from teenage/early 20s of their life. the badassarey is udneniable, but so is rthe immense characters assholery typical of certain writers of the early millenium, I mean I am fair sure that Mark Millar is physically uncapable of writing anyone who isn't an unrepentant jerk or insufferable assholes(albeit Jupiter Legacy is pleasant surprise, he seem to come to term that perhaps arrogant violent drunkard is not the best heroic example one could write).
    < I will always find time to **** on Mark millar btw...Bendis at least knwo how to write funny banter, Ellis can cook some intriguing plots, Morrison is trippy, Ennis-when one ignore the crass humor and ultraviolence-can pen down some deep emotional moment(provided he work with an artist who can pen emotions well...noticed that his writing work much less well without poor strongly missed Steve Dillon)...but Millar....Millar is so so obviously a cheater who aim to shock because is the only thing he has>
    I'm of the camp that Ultimates is fine, but it suffers from some Millarisms that drag the book down. I think it has some fun ideas (Thor possibly being a drunk crazy Person until it's revealed that he is legit is a highlight for me) and if you take it as "HBO Avengers", it kind of works in that favour.
    It's one of the few times where I think some of the edgy stuff works.
    But for the most part, it isn't Marvel's Watchmen, it's just a decent read that hasn't aged all too well.

It's leagues better than anything Millar did outside of Marvel (here's looking at you Nemesis and Wanted, two books that made me want to cry blood).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Yeah, and nearly all of the comics are better then the films because there is more real estate to flesh out the characters and back stories.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah, and nearly all of the comics are better then the films because there is more real estate to flesh out the characters and back stories.
    One thing that the films had over the comics where that they could streamline a lot of continuity. One issue that comics have is that the stories are never ending and there is so much backlog that it can be daunting for anyone new to get into.
    However, even the movies are starting to suffer from this. The longer this Universe goes on for, the more it would be like the Comics, and when you add TV Shows and prior Universes into the equation, the whole thing becomes a giant mess.

Adding and taking away Agents of Shield from canon, the questions of whether the Netflix shows are canon, all of these really just make it hard for anyone in the future to come into this series.

Anyway, both are different mediums and comparing one to the other is kind of missing the point of either medium.

Well... at least I've been happier with Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch in the films more than I have in comics for the last, oh, 30 years.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    One thing that the films had over the comics where that they could streamline a lot of continuity. One issue that comics have is that the stories are never ending and there is so much backlog that it can be daunting for anyone new to get into.
    However, even the movies are starting to suffer from this. The longer this Universe goes on for, the more it would be like the Comics, and when you add TV Shows and prior Universes into the equation, the whole thing becomes a giant mess.

Adding and taking away Agents of Shield from canon, the questions of whether the Netflix shows are canon, all of these really just make it hard for anyone in the future to come into this series.

Anyway, both are different mediums and comparing one to the other is kind of missing the point of either medium.

Oh yes it does, imagine if you don't have Disney+ or haven't watched every MCU film. I mean the new Strange film looks to be pulling from the What If? series if you haven't seen that or Loki prepare to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Ehhhhhh
    You make it sound as if being a "jerk" was a flaw, rather than just another type of character as valid as any other. Pop culture provides several "jerks" who are popular and beloved: Batman, Wolverine, Punisher, Terminator, John McClane, Conan, Rambo, Jessica Jones, Daria, Worf, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    You make it sound as if being a "jerk" was a flaw, rather than just another type of character as valid as any other. Pop culture provides several "jerks" who are popular and beloved: Batman, Wolverine, Punisher, Terminator, John McClane, Conan, Rambo, Jessica Jones, Daria, Worf, etc.
    This I concede, is correct. But apart being jerks all the characters mentioned above have some redeemable qualities, more than usual "honorable villains" archetypes. Millar seem having problem in making these jerk characters come out really sympathetic. Push the rule of cool so much to cover the characterization emptiness. But doing so often come out making the characters too flawed without any positive traits. Ultimate cap come out jingoistic, not patriotic, and naive moron, Wasp comeout as unpleasant *unt, not talking about his non marvle works, his authority made me realize that you can "hate read" just so you can see a character suffer and lose.
    Warren Ellis, and expecially Garth Ennis too do presents very unlikeable flawed characters but in the end they also gave them some level of good positive traits that they manage to show off in action and words. I know Casidy is bustard but I kind of like him, Spider Jerusale is a piece of **** but is also very honest and really care about truth and human decency!
    Ultimate cap become boiled down "does this A stand stand France?" And the collective answer was" no stand for *******" and thar was not even Millar idea! He really added NOTHING to the ultimates
    <on John Rambo...movie John Rambo is different form his original book...where he dies at the end, killed by Trautman like he was old yeller! And using the dying Sheriff as live bait to lure out Rambo no less. Book Trautman is one cold ************>

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I'm of the camp that Ultimates is fine, but it suffers from some Millarisms that drag the book down. I think it has some fun ideas (Thor possibly being a drunk crazy Person until it's revealed that he is legit is a highlight for me) and if you take it as "HBO Avengers", it kind of works in that favour.
    It's one of the few times where I think some of the edgy stuff works.
    But for the most part, it isn't Marvel's Watchmen, it's just a decent read that hasn't aged all too well.

It's leagues better than anything Millar did outside of Marvel (here's looking at you Nemesis and Wanted, two books that made me want to cry blood).
    Wanted movie is kind of cool, Wanted comic is visual tumor where the last page pretty much sum writing's ethic of Millar. "I know this is ****, but since is superheroes and has my name attached do it you will buy anyway. So **** you"
    Nemesis is so bad is kind of hilarious. As so so very stupid, ha time almost thought it was a sort of parody of himself.