Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I’ll be giving it a chance. I liked Avengers Academy, Wanda will at least guest star in it. I like Skottie Young (admittedly I’m only familiar with his art). And while I’m not familiar with Humberto Ramos‘ work I like the art in the previews. And who knows this may be a hit. Never know until they try.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I’m down for the setting, and anything doctor voodoo.

Since Marvel refuses to use the best book at this to do so then this is a good thing. The success of the book obviously is if any of new cast characters break out but school book back by a great cast of Marvel regulars should do solid.

An additional factor is that Scottie Young and Humberto Ramos art means that they are targeting a younger audience. This could be a success using the same route as moon girl targeting that type of audience.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

The idea has some interest for me, but the art is making my eyes bleed. WHEN are going to get some magical art that is awe inspiring, instead of awful?

But I don't think this book is actually aimed at my market, so I'm not surprised. Enjoy it if it is.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I'm interested. My only worry is how magic will be depicted. The page of them blasting things made it look like any other superpower and not very unique. If magic isn't presented in an interesting way then I may skip it because it would just be another superhero school book.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Well, this is definitely not what I planned in my head for the student body, but I'm not against new characters either. Every beloved character had to be new at some point. Hopefully some of them will stick around. Dormammu's kid already seems like a scene stealer, honestly. The creative team is solid for me. I love what's been shown of Humberto's art so far; I think it really fits with the atmosphere of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Sigh. No Billy... And an all-new cast starring? This is gonna flop.
    You know, I could live with Billy not being in this if the group of instructors wasn't so specifically almost the same magic group we had back in Civil War II. Skottie used every one of them, but apparently replaced Billy with Nico, which yeah, makes me upset, as it makes it look like a deliberate exclusion of the character from this group. I wish they both would be there, as we could use some Billy/Nico interactions.

Say what you will about Bendis, I'm glad that he was one of the few writers who acknowledged Billy as part of the MU magic cliques, both in the story above, and also on his New Avengers arc when Stephen looked for Billy as a possible candidate for the Sorcerer Supreme title. I wish more writers bothered to do the same.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-05-2019 at 12:06 PM.

I'll be buying it. I've wanted a Marvel magic school book since Avengers Academy.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm interested. My only worry is how magic will be depicted. The page of them blasting things made it look like any other superpower and not very unique. If magic isn't presented in an interesting way then I may skip it because it would just be another superhero school book.
    This is my only issue too. I feel like Bachalo should have been the artist to maybe help keep things weird.

Overall, I can't wait for this!

I'm interested in it conceptually, but Ramos seems like a weird fit in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I've known Doyle Dormammu for less than three hours and haven't heard a word out of his mouth, but if anything happens to him I will destroy the entire comics industry myself.
    So basically Sebastian Faust?

I'm sorry I saw Nico and I didn't see the Demiurge/Future God/Sorcerer Supreme/Future King Consort of space/Master of Reality/Son of Scarlet Witch, Vision, Jeff and Rebbeca Kaplan/Soul fragment of Mephisto!! Aka William "Billy" Kaplan!!!!

A for Effort F for results!!!
    Last edited by Journey; 12-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Really, Frontier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    An additional factor is that Scottie Young and Humberto Ramos art means that they are targeting a younger audience. This could be a success using the same route as moon girl targeting that type of audience.
    Yeah, don't forget Ramos was the artist on Mark Waid's Champions run. I can see why they chose him for this.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I've known Doyle Dormammu for less than three hours and haven't heard a word out of his mouth, but if anything happens to him I will destroy the entire comics industry myself.
    I'm growing tired of Marvel giving the offspring/clones of ancient bad guys contemporary english names in an attempt to be cutesy.
    It was annoying with EVAN sabah nur and it's still annoying with DOYLE dormammu.
    #EmmaWasRight

Extraordinary Member

Looks interesting.

They should announce the Disney+ show now so it gets more hype, or maybe they are waiting until closer to the graphic novel release.

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    I wonder if people said the same things when Young Avengers was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    A fun concept, set in a unique locale, w. a good writer and a distinctive artist. I’m going to enjoy this while it lasts.
    Thanks for the info!