Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I'm conflicted on the one hand I've been waiting for the magic side of the MU expand some, it has been feeling kinda small recently. On the other hand I'm really not a fan of Ramos' art, but I do like the look of these new kids so I'll give it a shot.

I'll give this a shot for the black female character.

Even though Harry Potter was name dropped, and The Maze Runner was hinted at, they should have named-dropped My Hero Academia which both Marvel and DC should be trying to replicate for (some of) their teen heroes.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

Even though Harry Potter was name dropped, and The Maze Runner was hinted at, they should have named-dropped My Hero Academia which both Marvel and DC should be trying to replicate for (some of) their teen heroes.
    Reminds me of the Legacies TV series which is about a school run for Witches, Vampires, Werewolves and other supernaturals. The main character is a tri-brid (witch/vampire/werewolf) who hails from New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    The main character is a tri-brid (witch/vampire/werewolf) who hails from New Orleans.
    A Witch getting smashed by a werewolf and vampire all in one night?!?!
    Damn woulda loooved to have been a fly on the wall to see that Freaky sh!t
    GrindrStone(D)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I like having new characters. I like magic stuff. I like Scottie Young's writing (I hope he'll guest art with Ramos) And this all sounds very interesting so I'll definitely give this a shot.
    Edit...just checked out the BC prev-pages...LOVED! I'm definitely in.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-06-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The preview pages on Bleeding cool are charming. I'm going to give this a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm interested. My only worry is how magic will be depicted. The page of them blasting things made it look like any other superpower and not very unique. If magic isn't presented in an interesting way then I may skip it because it would just be another superhero school book.
    That's also a concern of mine. I hope this school explores artifacts, rituals, barriers, charms, invocations, etc etc.
    Not just "Hey we're all magic so look at us and our ELLLLLLDREETCH BLAAAAY-ASSTS!
    That'd be dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    You know, I could live with Billy not being in this if the group of instructors wasn't so specifically almost the same magic group we had back in Civil War II. Skottie used every one of them, but apparently replaced Billy with Nico, which yeah, makes me upset, as it makes it look like a deliberate exclusion of the character from this group. I wish they both would be there, as we could use some Billy/Nico interactions.

Say what you will about Bendis, I'm glad that he was one of the few writers who acknowledged Billy as part of the MU magic cliques, both in the story above, and also on his New Avengers arc when Stephen looked for Billy as a possible candidate for the Sorcerer Supreme title. I wish more writers bothered to do the same.
    Same.
    Hope this just means Billy is being a sensible sorcerer and focusing on HIMSELF. He may not feel he's at a stage in his sorcery life that he is equipped to teach the next generation. He's got a lot on his plate with the whole Demiurge stuff. Or maybe he's just too caught up in Strikeforce shenanigans or that big Teddy event incoming.

I'm a sucker for these type of books so I'll give it a shot.

Fantastic Member

Wiccan would have been a better guest teacher, than Nico Minoru, Scarlet Witch or Magik. Nico uses magic through the Staff of One, and only needs a large vocabulary to cast her “spells”. Magik, despite her name, barely use magic at all. Most of the time she just teleports around and fight with soulsword. It was even a point in Bendis’ Uncanny X-Men what she doesn’t know much about magic and wanted to learn actual spellcasting from Dr. Strange. And Scarlet Witch’s power is a convoluted mix of magic and reality warping to the point that it is hard to understand when she uses one or another. Neither of the three seems like a good teacher to me. Their magical abilities seems more like superpowers, rather than something that can be taught to other people.

At least Wiccan actually cast spells to use his magic and was shown learning spellcasting. His power feels like magic, other three – not so much.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That's also a concern of mine. I hope this school explores artifacts, rituals, barriers, charms, invocations, etc etc.
    Not just "Hey we're all magic so look at us and our ELLLLLLDREETCH BLAAAAY-ASSTS!
    That'd be dumb.
    I'd like to see the employment of magic circles and floor diagrams too, and that Ramos can pull them off if so.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

And not just copy and paste them off Google. I saw Kamen Rider Wizard's magic circle in a comic once.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    I'd like to see the employment of magic circles and floor diagrams too, and that Ramos can pull them off if so.
    Yes yes yes. Give me mystic chalk. Give me casting components. Give me the D&D Handbook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post

DC already did a book like this with Mystik U.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Little Witch Academia (unless I've missed it).

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Same.
    Hope this just means Billy is being a sensible sorcerer and focusing on HIMSELF. He may not feel he's at a stage in his sorcery life that he is equipped to teach the next generation. He's got a lot on his plate with the whole Demiurge stuff. Or maybe he's just too caught up in Strikeforce shenanigans or that big Teddy event incoming.
    I could buy the excuse that Billy is not experienced enough to be there in a teaching position, but then they had Nico there, who's about the same age as he is and is pretty much just as experienced, so... that would be a weird double standard. I don't think Strikeforce is an excuse either, because Hellstorm, who's also a part of that team, is right there. You may be right about Incoming!, though. We still don't know what's happening there and what's coming out of it, so maybe Marvel has other plans for him (that hopefully doesn't include him being killed off).

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Wiccan would have been a better guest teacher, than Nico Minoru, Scarlet Witch or Magik. Nico uses magic through the Staff of One, and only needs a large vocabulary to cast her “spells”. Magik, despite her name, barely use magic at all. Most of the time she just teleports around and fight with soulsword. It was even a point in Bendis’ Uncanny X-Men what she doesn’t know much about magic and wanted to learn actual spellcasting from Dr. Strange. And Scarlet Witch’s power is a convoluted mix of magic and reality warping to the point that it is hard to understand when she uses one or another. Neither of the three seems like a good teacher to me. Their magical abilities seems more like superpowers, rather than something that can be taught to other people.

At least Wiccan actually cast spells to use his magic and was shown learning spellcasting. His power feels like magic, other three – not so much.
    I disagree about Wanda. She definitely has the mystic background that justifies her being a teacher: she has a natural bond to chaos magic due to her connection to Chthon, and she was trained by top witch Agatha Harkness. In her most recent solo book, she was basically being a magic detective and going all around the world helping people fix magic. She also is quite frequently involved with the magic community, and is a close ally of Strange. She is definitely more experienced than Billy as well. It's true that her powers are sometimes written inconsistently, but I think that's more because of writers being inconsistent, and not because she doesn't have enough magic lore to explore.

Billy, Nico and Illyana should all be students, tbh. I get why they're not, since this book seems to be focusing on much younger characters who are newbies at magic, something that doesn't fit the three of them, but I don't think that this means they should all be teachers either. Ideally, there would be classes with higher education, for characters who have some experience with magic, but are not quite on the professional level yet. So far, it seems like this academy is like a high school for magic, but it could also be a college/university for the young adult characters. A mix of Hogwarts with Brakebills University, why not?

^^^ Ha ha. Show's how much I care about Hellstrom that I totally forgot he's in Strikeforce as well.
    As for my commentary about Billy being inexperienced (vs. Nico) that was more my thinking that HE feels he's ill equipped, not the folks in charge of this academy. He may have gotten an offer and declined. Whereas Nico may have accepted -- depending on the pitch.
    Anyway, I'm inclined to think its Incoming keeping Billy indisposed.

I'm just saying a book with Dr Strange, Nico, Wanda, Pixie, Magik, and Billy/Wiccan/Demiurge/Future King Consort of Space/Master of Reality/Lifeforce of the universe Kaplan!! Is gold that fans have been sitting on for years. Why Marvel doesn't just take a hint is beyond me that's a book that would sell!

Though might I just add that even though I love his character. I actually would never trust Wiccan to be a teacher Nico is by far a better choice in that regard. Someone with established mental health issues, and suicidal tendencies related directly back to his own magical powers teaching the youth of tommorow about magic is not a good idea.
    Last edited by Journey; 12-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.