Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 98 of 98
  1. #91
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Perfect for absorbing the Razorline universe into the 616 universe.

  2. #92
    Be Seeing You… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    I've been thinking about the Wiccan question, and I think it makes sense that Billy isn't a guest lecturer. I mean, consider the staff we saw in the preview (with one exception):

    Jericho Drumm: The Houngan Supreme. Master of Voodoo magic.
    The Ancient One: Knows more about Vishanti-style magic than anyone.
    Hellstorm: An actual (former?) Hell Lord skilled in demonic magic
    Scarlet Witch: After her last solo, definitely the best person to teach witchcraft
    Magik: The Sorceress Supreme of Limbo (people tend to forget that) and experienced in soul magic.
    Shaman: One of the two best users of Native American magic (the other being his daughter Talisman).

    Each uses a different style of magic, although there is some overlap, and is in a position to teach it.

    But what can Billy teach? His form of magic/reality manipulation is tied to his powers: He repeats what he wants to happen until it does. Nobody else has that power, so he can't train them on it. If anything, he should LEARN more magic, not teach it. He has plenty of power, but not much mystical knowledge.

    The one I left out, of course, is Nico Minoru. She's in a similar position as Billy since her magic is tied to the staff (unless that's changed? I don't read RUNAWAYS). Maybe she can teach blood magic?

  3. #93
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    I tried reading Wanda's solo but I'm still not clear on what differentiates "witchcraft" from the magic Doctor Strange uses

    Or when Wanda somehow became an expert in the magic of all of these different cultures.

  4. #94
    Be Seeing You… DigiCom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I tried reading Wanda's solo but I'm still not clear on what differentiates "witchcraft" from the magic Doctor Strange uses

    Or when Wanda somehow became an expert in the magic of all of these different cultures.
    Pretty much during the Robinson run. Here's what he had to say about it:

    “I’ve been talking to [Doctor Strange writer] Jason Aaron about making sure that she isn’t just a female Doctor Strange,” said Robinson. “There [are] differences even between her and Doctor Strange so that her magic is different; I’m really making a point of stressing that there’s a female energy that connects with a certain kind of magic. As a sort of shorthand, I'm calling it ‘witchcraft,’ but there are literally areas of dimensions that she can go to that Doctor Strange wouldn’t be able to go to, because he’s a man.”

    Someone who knows the run better should expand more, but I know color has something to do with it.

  5. #95
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I've been thinking about the Wiccan question, and I think it makes sense that Billy isn't a guest lecturer. I mean, consider the staff we saw in the preview (with one exception):

    Jericho Drumm: The Houngan Supreme. Master of Voodoo magic.
    The Ancient One: Knows more about Vishanti-style magic than anyone.
    Hellstorm: An actual (former?) Hell Lord skilled in demonic magic
    Scarlet Witch: After her last solo, definitely the best person to teach witchcraft
    Magik: The Sorceress Supreme of Limbo (people tend to forget that) and experienced in soul magic.
    Shaman: One of the two best users of Native American magic (the other being his daughter Talisman).

    Each uses a different style of magic, although there is some overlap, and is in a position to teach it.

    But what can Billy teach? His form of magic/reality manipulation is tied to his powers: He repeats what he wants to happen until it does. Nobody else has that power, so he can't train them on it. If anything, he should LEARN more magic, not teach it. He has plenty of power, but not much mystical knowledge.

    The one I left out, of course, is Nico Minoru. She's in a similar position as Billy since her magic is tied to the staff (unless that's changed? I don't read RUNAWAYS). Maybe she can teach blood magic?
    We don't know that, specially considering how little we actually know about the origins of his powers. Is he a mutant? Is he connected to chaos magic? Is he connected to Mephisto's soul? Is there any possible connection to the Life Force? Are all his powers just a part of his innate Demiurge ability? Marvel never bothered to explain any of that, so any writer could, at any time, come up with a specific category in which his magic fits. Any writer could say there are other people out there with the same powerset as his, if ''lack of relation'' was a problem. This is not a narrative issue. They could've come up with any reason why he was there if they wanted him there. If he's not, it's simply because the writer didn't want it or because editorial has other plans for him.

    And I agree that he should've been a student, but since this book obviously is going with the new characters = students/established characters = teachers route, there's only one role he could possibly fill. And like I said, what bothers me it's not just his absence, but that they used everyone from CWII's magic group EXCEPT for him. It's like throwing salt in the wound of Billy fans when he is already left out of important magic stories from the last few years like Last Days Of Magic and Damnation. And the one time they decided to include him (the Sorcerers Supreme book), it was an AU version of the character which had zero impact on the story of his 616 self. It's just tiring to see how little Marvel cares about making him a bigger part of the MU's magic community when he is supposed to be the guy who's destined to rewrite the laws of magic someday.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.

  6. #96
    Mighty Member Lonewolf36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Señor Mágico should serve as a guest teacher dealing with street level magics.

    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Se%C3...co_(Earth-616)

  7. #97
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Señor Mágico should serve as a guest teacher dealing with street level magics.

    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Se%C3...co_(Earth-616)
    Señor Magico is too cool for Dr. Strange.

    -Pav, who wonders where all the Crystar fans are...
    2020 Marvel Monthly Buys: Morbius Runaways (Giant-Sized) X-Men X-Force Marauders New Mutants Excalibur Strange Academy Agents of Wakanda
    2020 Machine Man

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school! DM for details

  8. #98
    Astonishing Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    4,995

    Default

    Ok, I'm all for biting J. K. Rowland here, but please make one of the characters dark. I mean the kind of dark that he or she establishes the betting odds of which one of the students will die first -- since whether it's Batman, Grimm's Fairy Tales, New Mutants, Harry Potter, or Star Wars, kids in training are always getting whacked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •