Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
They instantly dated it once they slapped 2099 on it.
The weird part is the comic came out in 1992, so it was like some kind of early end-of-millennium hype thing.

At the time, no major publisher had done anything like a futuristic AU of the Present Day and introducing legacies like that. And it allowed Marvel to explore a kind of 90s edginess in art and theme without transforming the mainline MU so much. So it seemed like a decent idea at the time.

I mean doing an AU line was pretty new and radical in the early 90s because it wasn't very common and 2099 was the predecessor to MC2, to Ultimate Marvel and other stuff that came after that.

Miguel O'Hara in publication terms is Spider-Man's first legacy character preceding Ben Reilly, Mayday Parker, and of course Miles Morales.

I also don't think Marvel had decided whether it was the true future or not.
I never bought/accepted that it was the future either. To me, it was always a quirky AU and it just felt totally disconnected from the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Spider-girl benefitted because, despite being in the future, it was still close enough to the familiar landscape of the present. Also helped because you could do cameos and whatnot.
Yeah. I guess it needed to be something like Batman Beyond, the cartoon that came out in the end of the 90s and which probably was inspired by Spider-Man 2099. It was still tied to the legacy of the original Batman and his adventures. Whereas by 2099 the entire world of Peter Parker and his supporting cast, and the other Marvel heroes, seemed to have been forgotten almost entirely.