Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume he means Chaz.
    Yeah, sorry, Chaz. Stupid fingers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

But it's stupid--in the way that the SUPERGIRL TV show seems to embrace its stupidity--because Kara is her Kryptonian name. It makes it too obvious that Kar Zor-El and Kara Danvers are one and the same.
    This argument doesn't make sense to me - why would anyone even know her Kryptonian name? To the world, she's just "Supergirl."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This argument doesn't make sense to me - why would anyone even know her Kryptonian name? To the world, she's just "Supergirl."
    Possibly because every hero she fights with calls SG "Kara" from time to time. Someone's bound to hear. That's assuming she doesn't go and do an interview telling everyone her Kryptonian name.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Possibly because every hero she fights with calls SG "Kara" from time to time. Someone's bound to hear. That's assuming she doesn't go and do an interview telling everyone her Kryptonian name.
    That just doesn't work for me. I know that it does happen, but this is the thing that doesn't make sense to me. Every other hero gets called by codenames, but some reason everyone who's perfectly content to use "Beetle" or "Batman" wants to call the Supers "Kal" and "Kara" in costume - why? Actually, the Kal one bothers me a lot more because (in most eras), it is a not a name that he remembers ever going by and does not, to me, provide any increase in intimacy (and it is not more formal than "Clark" - an argument I've also heard). It's just weird. In my ideal world, they'd be called "Superman" and "Supergirl" in costume (barring slip-of-the-lips), just like every other hero is called by their codename when in costume.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Supergirl is a talker. Just get her started and she'll monologue about her whole life on Krypton, her parents, her family tree, the name of her first pet. And she'll have you sobbing by the end of it. Monologues are her super-power, as well as her greatest weakness.

Well... Kara isn't all that weird as a Human name. It's slightly exotic by some standards, but only slightly. So no one thinks twice about meeting a teen named Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For the sake of getting back at Carol Danvers, there is some sweet revenge in Kara Danvers. But it's stupid--in the way that the SUPERGIRL TV show seems to embrace its stupidity--because Kara is her Kryptonian name. It makes it too obvious that Kar Zor-El and Kara Danvers are one and the same. At least be a little creative by calling her Karen Danvers
    Karen, of course, is the name that Kara's Earth-2 counterpart Power Girl uses.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Bit of a related question, how exactly do you pronounce her first name, Care-uh, or Car-ah? I've heard it in live action, animated, and games, but they seem to differ on which it is, sometimes even in the same thing, when different characters say it. Then there is the question of how to pronounce PG's name. Presumably when the two are together with other heroes, and before DC started having them refer to PG as "Karen" instead of "Kara", there might be a little confusion if say Wonder Woman shouts "Kara", and they both turn around...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Supergirl is a talker. Just get her started and she'll monologue about her whole life on Krypton, her parents, her family tree, the name of her first pet. And she'll have you sobbing by the end of it. Monologues are her super-power, as well as her greatest weakness.
    I thought that was Connor, who was constantly telling anyone who listened exactly how his powers worked...for a while.

Retired

Bit of a related question, how exactly do you pronounce her first name, Care-uh, or Car-ah?
    When I was a kid and there was nobody to tell me any different, I pronounced it Care-ah. There were lots of girls in my school named Carrie--like in "Carrie Anne" by the Hollies. Car-ah just sounds like putting on airs.

I always said care-uh, though I think I sometimes read it in my head as car-ah because of kara- as in karate and kara throws in Street Fighter, and also the Korean pop group and flower, Kara (RIP Hara).

On the other hand, she's Lah-na lang and not Lan-na.

I thought that was Connor, who was constantly telling anyone who listened exactly how his powers worked...for a while.
    Yeah, I remember back when he was just Superboy, and his classmates were tired of hearing him explain. I always thought it was put in to explain his powers to any newer readers, since they aren't as conventional as some.

BTW, am I the only person who always calls him Kon, and never Conner? Probably because I don't like the changes that led to him getting that name, and haven't read much of him when he had it because of that, and even if I had, Kon would be his "real" name because it's the one he got first.

I first met Kara through Supergirl movie, so that's how I pronounced it.

I've always said "car-rah".

Oddly, I reflexively want to pronounce Kara as "kar-uh", probably because of the DCAU doing that. And that's despite growing up around people named Carrie and Keren.

Yeah, I'm one of those who started reading comics after watching cartoons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Oddly, I reflexively want to pronounce Kara as "kar-uh", probably because of the DCAU doing that. And that's despite growing up around people named Carrie and Keren.

Yeah, I'm one of those who started reading comics after watching cartoons.
    That's another thing, IIRC, didn't JLU and STAS have different pronunciations depending on which voice actor said her name? I clearly recall Carl Lumbly saying "Car-uh", while others seemed to call her "Care-uh". Maybe I'm remembering wrong...I don't know.