Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,964

    Default

    I'd go with Linda Kent (because Danvers is *taken*).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  2. #32
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,356

    Default

    I didn't grow an attachment to Supergirl until the tv show, so I'm gonna say Kara Danvers.

    If Slade Wilson and Wade Wilson can be two very popular character names...

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That's another thing, IIRC, didn't JLU and STAS have different pronunciations depending on which voice actor said her name? I clearly recall Carl Lumbly saying "Car-uh", while others seemed to call her "Care-uh". Maybe I'm remembering wrong...I don't know.
    I'd have to re-watch to be sure....

  4. #34
    Incredible Member astro@work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denver metroplex
    Posts
    529

    Default

    I grew up with Linda Lee Danvers, but have actually warmed up to Kara Danvers.

    I also kind of like that Linda Danvers is a separate character and the one fused with Matrix. This allows for someday acknowledging the Linda/Matrix history,
    especially if extending the DC timeline via 1G-2G-3G-4G becomes a thing. That way Linda is the first Earth-based Supergirl, and Kara is the later Kryptonian cousin.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'd go with Linda Kent (because Danvers is *taken*).
    Take back that which belongs to you.

  6. #36
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'd go with Linda Kent (because Danvers is *taken*).
    I can't take it, if she's ever in custody of Kents there. I've had it up to my eyeballs when them parcelling out bits of Clark's life to other Supers. I feel like they lose their uniqueness. Which admittedly doesn't really have the same impact on a silver-age character as a modern one.

  7. #37
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That's another thing, IIRC, didn't JLU and STAS have different pronunciations depending on which voice actor said her name? I clearly recall Carl Lumbly saying "Car-uh", while others seemed to call her "Care-uh". Maybe I'm remembering wrong...I don't know.
    This is like Call-El vs Cowl-El.

    It used to depend on whether Kryptonians had British accents.

    I think Cowl-El and Kah-Ra have won out in popular usage. Took getting used to because I knew a fair number of Karas who went by Care-uh over the years.

  8. #38
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,843

    Default

    It bugs me that a few British reviewers of JOKER that I've seen insist on calling Joaquin Phoenix "Whackin"--I lost all respect for Mark Kermode (learn to pronounce the frickin' actor's name).

    I wish they split the difference on the SUPERGIRL show, if they were going to call her Kara, then have her sister be Linda. That's how it should go in the comics--to satisfy all the fans of the post-Crisis Linda Danvers, she can be the sister.
    "Whatever happens, nothing ruffles Ralph's wife Sue! Just looking at her makes you realize that everything's all right in the world--and probably always will be!"--Batman, DETECTIVE COMICS 343.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    This is like Call-El vs Cowl-El.

    It used to depend on whether Kryptonians had British accents.

    I think Cowl-El and Kah-Ra have won out in popular usage. Took getting used to because I knew a fair number of Karas who went by Care-uh over the years.
    What does Nic Cage call his kid? Should we let that be the official arbitration on the pronunciation?

  10. #40
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'd go with Linda Kent (because Danvers is *taken*).
    That would only work if she was adopted by Jonathan and Martha, like Power Girl (at least the New 52 Earth 2 version) was.

    Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I grew up with Linda Lee Danvers, but have actually warmed up to Kara Danvers.

    I also kind of like that Linda Danvers is a separate character and the one fused with Matrix. This allows for someday acknowledging the Linda/Matrix history,
    especially if extending the DC timeline via 1G-2G-3G-4G becomes a thing. That way Linda is the first Earth-based Supergirl, and Kara is the later Kryptonian cousin.
    That sounds like a good way to reconcile the continuity. Wasn't Matrix replaced by an actual Kara at some point? Change it so Matrix was Supergirl right up to Flashpoint, and current Kara appeared afterwards. That would keep most post-Crisis Supergirl material canon, while not altering current Kara's continuity. I figure, if they were going to merge the pre-Flashpoint Kara with current Kara, they'd have done so in the Superman Reborn event.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-11-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  11. #41
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That would only work if she was adopted by Jonathan and Martha, like Power Girl (at least the New 52 Earth 2 version) was.
    IIRC, nu52 Power Girl was adopted by her cousin and Lois, not Jonathan and Martha Kent, because in universe they'd died by that time. I don't recall if thy ever gave her civilian identity in that universe, (and she only became Karen Starr AFAIK AFTER she and Huntress made the leap to Earth 1 or whatever they call it). So I don't know if she was called Karen Kent, Kara Kent, or whatever when she was growing up and playing Supergirl.

  12. #42
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,418

    Default

    No, it was Pa and Ma. Earth 2, remember. It was the Prime Earth versions that were dead.





    That's from Secret Origins #9.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •