Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Red face Dr Strange vs The Flash

Comic book versions of both. Standard arena rules except they begin 100 yards away from each other and Dr Strange gets a half second notice before the battle begins. No time travel shenanigans. Who takes it?

Edit: Let's go with Classic Strange and Wally West.
    Last edited by k von doom; 12-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Barry or Wally?

Post-Crisis or current version?

Classic Strange wins everyday all day and twice on Sunday.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Comes down to whether Stephen can phase proof his shield in that half a second, as Wally has phased through force fields before. Or more generally, if Strange can proof himself against esoteric scientific stuff as well as he does mystical stuff. That would include the speed drain.

If you made me bet on it, I'd err on Strange being able to do all this and winning. But this feels like a situation for the Sharp.

Wally can phase through forcefields with effort, but struggles phasing through cold (which shouldn't be a problem in Khazan setting as Wally will be vibrating at high speeds at the bell), through objects of heavy density and magical bonds.

Edit, my bad. Wrong scan. Searching.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cronus; 12-05-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Wrong scan
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Seems I misremembered. During the Wonderland arc, Wally was captured by Brother Grimm via misanthropic oak, magical in origin, it negates Wallys vibrational abilities because of its density and changing vibrational frequency. The previous scan of Kadabra is before he actually acquired sorcerous power.
    ----------------------

Does Strange have beyond peak human speed or something? Because half a second is barely enough time to wave your hand or steing two words together.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Does Strange have beyond peak human speed or something? Because half a second is barely enough time to wave your hand or steing two words together.
    I'm not sure that's even necessary in this instance as Strange in his classic days had auto shields. As far as the half second head start, it should be enough to add a shield of the seraphim. But I'll defer to Sharp to fine tune that comment.
    ----------------------

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

A half-second prep is more than enough for Strange to amp himself to a level that Wally just can't deal with.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Strange with a half-second isn’t going to be able to do a LOT, but his normal shields keep our spirits, intangible stuff, etc (also gravity, seemingly, if it’s dangerous...weird). And maybe a half-second is enough to make those shields even better, like Cronus says.

Barring Wally having feats for ‘phases through stuff that’s meant to stop spirits, astral forms, and other intangibles’...I don’t know, maybe he has that.

If not, it’s a gesture for Stephen to start filling the arena with auto-targeting Crimson Bands, which also catch intangible stuff.

Mileage, of course, etc.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 06-28-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

As a side note - Esoterics are esoterics, really. It doesn’t matter if transmutation is Eternal powers, Power Cosmic, or magic, transmutation resistance would work against it all unless here’s some specific weakness in that resistance. Someone resistant to mutant telepathy isn’t just going to fold to magic telepathy (again, barring a noted weakness to such).

Strange’s shields protect him from esoterics; I don’t see why they wouldn’t shield him from esoterics tagged as ‘Science’. They’ve blocked scientific disintegration beams perfectly well, as an example.

My feeling, anyway.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 12-06-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Flipping autocorrect!
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I gotta go flash... Strange is insanely cosmic leveled powered... but he still has to concentrate and perform his spells. I just don't see him having time to do things like that. Unless he came into this battle already amped up and pre-cast, I just don't think Doc would have a chance to react. On the worst day, Flash hits him before the shields are in place... even if they are 'auto' they still have to form, and Flash is faster than thought. On his best day, he's just a blur of red that disrupts concentration and aim...

I think Doc has the upper hand on almost any JL characters... but something about Flash just seems to trump everything.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

ISTR that Classic Strange's autoshields have saved him from Silver Surfer just randomly coming up to try and beat him down, but Surfer tends to forget his massive super speed a lot, so I don't know how Strange would have fared if Surfer just kept trying at full speed. That being said, I'm not sure that Wally with nigh-unlimited number of shots can really break through something that Surfer couldn't get through in one attack that he was intending to use to kill/KO someone as tough as he knows Strange can be before Strange gets a chance to do something unavoidable and intensely unpleasant to him.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I gotta go flash... Strange is insanely cosmic leveled powered... but he still has to concentrate and perform his spells. I just don't see him having time to do things like that. Unless he came into this battle already amped up and pre-cast, I just don't think Doc would have a chance to react. On the worst day, Flash hits him before the shields are in place... even if they are 'auto' they still have to form, and Flash is faster than thought. On his best day, he's just a blur of red that disrupts concentration and aim...

I think Doc has the upper hand on almost any JL characters... but something about Flash just seems to trump everything.
    His shields don’t have to ‘form’. His auto shields are always there, just not visible.
    Why are we here?

I'm going with Strange due to the auto shields but you can't do anything with half of a second. It takes more than half a second to think about what to do and then perform it. Doesn't matter in this instance of course.