Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Private religious school whose teachers were emotionally abusive and would often gaslight the students. Church was part of that and, no, it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    Duuuude I totally feel on this...'cept I got out in 3rd grade.

Also, that was Krakoa JR, the son of the original Krakoa I believe; I don't think it actually operated in the same manner. It's not silly though; it's taking energy from the characters' brains and giving them headaches when that's interrupted.
    Ooooh I thought it was revealed Krakoa Jr. Waaas Krakoa?? Well do does the Astral Plane
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Duuuude I totally feel on this...'cept I got out in 3rd grade.

Ooooh I thought it was revealed Krakoa Jr. Waaas Krakoa?? Well do does the Astral Plane
    Tell me about it; shitty either way right?

No, it was in Wolverine and the X-Men, I believe; it was considered Krakoa Jr because it 'broke off' of the main island? Different entity basically.

Forgive my ignorance, but why do so many people hate Glob so much? I haven't read much that he's appeared in outside of background appearances that were mostly mean-spirited jokes at his expense.

We comparing Krakoa to a cult again? Because the non-stop partying is totally a cult coupled with psuedo-religious gatherings is totally a cult thing. Keep people inebriated, makes them easier to control. I keep going back and forth on whether that's intentional or a victim of using parties as a way of showing people 'finally' be happy. I'd like to see them just do other stuff.

And that cover with all of them at the door with a flower gives me Jehovah's Witnesses vibes. They've come to my house a few times, and its always weird.

That said, New Mutants has actually been pretty good so far, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and willing to see what they actually do.
    Last edited by pkingdom; 12-06-2019 at 09:43 PM.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

I'm calling it now - Armor doesn't like being couped up on Krakoa.
    She's looking for an excuse to get out of there and do some other things, and if that excuse is to "invite" others over, then so be it.

Her conversation with Glob just kinda feels forced, almost manipulative.
    Armor: "This place..."
    Glob: "I love it"
    Armor: "I know, its... great"
    That almost sounds like she'd have said its "boring" if he didn't immediately say "I love it".

Her line about them just, "hiding together, but still hiding" back at the mansion, even though that's exactly the same for the Island.

And the way she's trying to pitch to him the idea of going out and looking for everyone else - WHILE at a party.
    And the next shot showing that he's off partying - He's clearly enjoying himself on the island, while she's trying to convince him to leave it and do something else.
    Everyone's enjoying themselves on the island, and she's literally reading through the mutant roster trying to find an excuse for going out.

I'm calling it now - Armor's stir-crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but why do so many people hate Glob so much? I haven't read much that he's appeared in outside of background appearances that were mostly mean-spirited jokes at his expense.
    Well this attitude right here definitely contributes to the hate ...he's an ex wannabe killer that showed no remorse, wasn't seen being punished, and gets the storylines that could go to actually compelling characters cause he looks weird/being feel sorry for him

We comparing Krakoa to a cult again? Because the non-stop partying is totally a cult coupled with psuedo-religious gatherings is totally a cult thing. Keep people inebriated, makes them easier to control.
    Uhhh maybe but have you see a drunk person attempt a complicated task? It's gets real sloppy real fast. Now imagine that bumbling drunk bastard is 100 or 1000 drunk bastards.
    I'd like to see them just do other stuff.
    Ugh like what? A party is like a miniature fast paced society, filled with people who are free from their egos reduced to basic wants and desires

And that cover with all of them at the door with a flower gives me Jehovah's Witnesses vibes. They've come to my house a few times, and its always weird.
    Dude all religion/social rituals are weird no need to single one out
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

It is neat how so many of the factors that tend to go so terribly wrong for mutants in general, at least from their own kind, are dealt with on Krakoa. Selene and Emplate have been lurking about, feeding on other mutants, in her case, for many centuries, and attempts to imprison or kill them always seem to fall short of ending their threat, yet on Krakoa, they are kept sated without killing anyone. Sinister and Apocalypse's genocidal machinations have led to the Morlock Massacre, the fall of Avalon, etc. and yet, again, by being brought into Krakoa, they are instead a part and parcel to it, not existential threats to it (as is more their nature). Magneto himself, failed with Avalon, failed again with Genosha, at the rudder to give it a third shot, and, again, make sure that he's invested in it's success, and not on the outside, possibly willing to tear it down if he gets the impression that mutants are being oppressed or exploited (or fed off of...) there. Vulcan, Exodus, Jim Jaspers, Sebastian Shaw. There are a lot of world-class 'bad-guys' (with some pretty wild power levels!) just chilling to that island groove.

Of the threats that come specifically from mutant-kind, it seems like the Shadow King and Proteus and Cassandra Nova are some of the only big names left (along with lesser lights like Trevor Fitzroy and Gideon and the Dark Beast), who did not have a place / role designed for them. That's interesting, and it's *possible* that one or more of them might even be able to be similarly made a 'good neighbor,' with the appropriate accomodations. (A self-less 'clone' body grown for Proteus that he can't burn out, or can be easily replaced if he does, could be a solution to his requirements, similar to how Selene and Emplate are allowed to sup lightly from the assembled mutants.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Of the threats that come specifically from mutant-kind, it seems like the Shadow King and Proteus and Cassandra Nova are some of the only big names left (along with lesser lights like Trevor Fitzroy and Gideon and the Dark Beast), who did not have a place / role designed for them. That's interesting, and it's *possible* that one or more of them might even be able to be similarly made a 'good neighbor,' with the appropriate accomodations. (A self-less 'clone' body grown for Proteus that he can't burn out, or can be easily replaced if he does, could be a solution to his requirements, similar to how Selene and Emplate are allowed to sup lightly from the assembled mutants.)
    Proteus is one of the Five
    GrindrStone(D)

And Cassandra isn't a mutant. Shadow King should not be allowed on the island. Periodt.

Fantastic Member

Y’all managed to turn a welfare check into a discussion about proselytizing. Kind of odd. I agree with the people who have mentioned the art shift, though. I don’t like seeing sharp shifts like that in books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Well this attitude right here definitely contributes to the hate ...he's an ex wannabe killer that showed no remorse, wasn't seen being punished, and gets the storylines that could go to actually compelling characters cause he looks weird/being feel sorry for him
    Yeah, having first read about Glob and Quentin when they were introduced as drug-fueled psychos who instigated a riot at Xaviers that ended with multiple attempted murders and one actual death (of one of the Cuckoos, who burned out using Cerebro to boost her telepathy enough to quell the riot, which Quentin was fanning the flames of with his own telepathy, after hyping them up with the drug Kick), and then just sort of 'getting away with it' when the others involved *went to jail* for it, annoyed me.

Years later, one of the surviving Cuckoos is shown on panel (sometime during the phase when they had different hair colors) expressing a *crush* on Quire, since the writer apparently had no idea that Quire was someone the Cuckoos held in contempt *before* he was responsible for the death of one of them... Ugh. Meta, I think he used his omega telepathy to mindwipe everyone at the mansion of what dirtbags he and Glob actually were, back in the day... It'd almost be amusing to find out that Glob was similarly mind-wiped, and has no idea that he used to go on drug-fueled rampages, set himself on fire, and run around trying to burn people to death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    I'm calling it now - Armor doesn't like being couped up on Krakoa.
    She's looking for an excuse to get out of there and do some other things, and if that excuse is to "invite" others over, then so be it.

Her conversation with Glob just kinda feels forced, almost manipulative.
    Armor: "This place..."
    Glob: "I love it"
    Armor: "I know, its... great"
    That almost sounds like she'd have said its "boring" if he didn't immediately say "I love it".

Her line about them just, "hiding together, but still hiding" back at the mansion, even though that's exactly the same for the Island.

And the way she's trying to pitch to him the idea of going out and looking for everyone else - WHILE at a party.
    And the next shot showing that he's off partying - He's clearly enjoying himself on the island, while she's trying to convince him to leave it and do something else.
    Everyone's enjoying themselves on the island, and she's literally reading through the mutant roster trying to find an excuse for going out.

I'm calling it now - Armor's stir-crazy.
    That's an interesting interpretation, I didn't actually think of it like that!

I think you might be right though and, yeah, the island isn't exactly that different from the mansion; there's gateways, sure, but for the most part mutants still don't feel safe enough to wander beyond those borders. Until the broader issues on the outside of those gates start getting addressed and dealt with, they're still kinda hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, having first read about Glob and Quentin when they were introduced as drug-fueled psychos who instigated a riot at Xaviers that ended with multiple attempted murders and one actual death (of one of the Cuckoos, who burned out using Cerebro to boost her telepathy enough to quell the riot, which Quentin was fanning the flames of with his own telepathy, after hyping them up with the drug Kick), and then just sort of 'getting away with it' when the others involved *went to jail* for it, annoyed me.

Years later, one of the surviving Cuckoos is shown on panel (sometime during the phase when they had different hair colors) expressing a *crush* on Quire, since the writer apparently had no idea that Quire was someone the Cuckoos held in contempt *before* he was responsible for the death of one of them... Ugh. Meta, I think he used his omega telepathy to mindwipe everyone at the mansion of what dirtbags he and Glob actually were, back in the day... It'd almost be amusing to find out that Glob was similarly mind-wiped, and has no idea that he used to go on drug-fueled rampages, set himself on fire, and run around trying to burn people to death.
    Woof, I knew about Quire, but never realized Glob was his lackey during all of that. I've always been baffled by Quire's popularity because of that, and now I'm throwing Glob in with him.

That theory with Armor sounds plausible. I'm interested!

That's an interesting interpretation, I didn't actually think of it like that!

I think you might be right though and, yeah, the island isn't exactly that different from the mansion; there's gateways, sure, but for the most part mutants still don't feel safe enough to wander beyond those borders. Until the broader issues on the outside of those gates start getting addressed and dealt with, they're still kinda hiding.
    And they really aren't safe on the island either. They've had two terrorist attacks in just a couple weeks now!

Private religious school whose teachers were emotionally abusive and would often gaslight the students. Church was part of that and, no, it wasn't a pleasant experience. Can't separate those feelings from the vibes I'm getting from the dialogue, i.e, the whole 'blessed be Krakoa' and 'let's go recruit others' vibe.

Also, that was Krakoa JR, the son of the original Krakoa I believe; I don't think it actually operated in the same manner. It's not silly though; it's taking energy from the characters' brains and giving them headaches when that's interrupted. That in itself is worrying; it's not unreasonable to think how else it could affect people. Hey, we might not see it, but until I see it on panel I reserve the right to be creeped out and wary.
    It wouldn't be ludicrous that an organism needs more energy when it is a grown-up than when it is an infant. We do.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Woof, I knew about Quire, but never realized Glob was his lackey during all of that. I've always been baffled by Quire's popularity because of that, and now I'm throwing Glob in with him.
    It was at least strongly hinted that it was a combination of Quire telepathically stirring **** up, and the drug Kick (which he was handing out to his fellow rioters) making people even more excitable that brought things to a head, so it's *possible* that Glob could have a bit of an out, in that almost everyone involved was out of their mind at the time (if not being flat-out mind-whammied), but instead of going into this, it all sort of got swept under the rug by everyone after Morrison. (IIRC, I think it was Morrison that introduced them...)

Now, I'll admit to being a hypocrite, and being willing to overlook crappy past actions by my own personal faves, but Glob isn't one of them, so he gets no pass from me.

(Of the 'rioters,' I liked Ernst best, and she was originally supposed to be Cassandra Nova, but that's another Morrison plot point that seemed to get forgotten / discarded after he left.)