Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 9/11 Caused by the FF?

I was doing research on an article on aspects of the 9/11 attacks and I was looking into why in particular the Human Torch and Iceman (who could both absorb the fires in the buildings) were never utilised. I found out Johnny Storm was in the desert in the west doing a movie as the Rawhide Kid, while the Iceman was in the middle of a secondary transformation and away from the New X-Men, who just had Genosha destroyed. But then this came up :-

One thing I didn’t realize about this time when 9/11 happened in Marvel continuity was that in the Fantastic Four book, a completely new reality was created in that book, that could have changed every aspect of Marvel from then on, (and one of those things was the devastating attacks of Terrorists in a world that could easily defeat these pests). But the scenario of real life was even so much more dramatic, it defeated even the superheroes in this case. But more creepily still – the events in FF could have caused 9/11 in the MU, because it completely changed how Marvel stories were going to go from 9/11 onwards. It is almost like the use of the Ultimate Nullifier in FF #49 had created this dystopian Earth 616 in which it got totally changed by a seemingly impossible attack, destroying NY buildings that never were destroyed before. From this moment forth, buildings began toppling in NY at a fantastic rate, in World War Hulk TPB, Fear Itself TPB, and ultimately in the destruction of NY, at Secret Wars HC.

By shear accident, the editors of the FF magazine had used a device of such complete devastation in a way that mimicked the events of 9/11, or even predicted 9/11. A story that predated 9/11 by 2 months with the start being FF #46, the Abraxus arc running till #49. 9/11 happened the month #47 was published. In the book, as a result of the change made by the Ultimate Nullifier, Sue became pregnant with Valeria again, and the Silver Surfer reappeared again, (after some absence supposedly. Aunt May also discovered Pete was Spider-Man that same month).

What do people think?
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-06-2019 at 01:00 AM.