BANNED

Default What title would you want to see Alex Ross do the covers to?

As much as I love the early work that Alex Ross built his reputation on, I feel like he contributes to his legacy in major ways every month with the gorgeous covers that he does for Marvel, work that consistently ranks with the finest that he's ever done.

For awhile it was Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man. Currently it's Immortal Hulk and Captain America.

While I expect that he'll stick with Hulk until the end of Ewing's run, I suspect that if Cap relaunches that he might go to another book.

If he does - or just assuming that one day he'll eventually move on to other titles anyway - what books would you like to see him work on?

My first pick would be Iron Man. I believe that book will be due for a relaunch after Iron Man 2020 and having Ross on covers would be a perfect way to draw more attention to it. He also worked with Slott on ASM so it'd be cool to have them team up again on Iron Man.

Another choice would be Black Panther, another book that surely is getting relaunched in 2020. If it's still Coates on the book after the relaunch, I'd be less enthused about Ross getting involved but whatever the case, I'm sure Ross would bring some incredible imagery to BP's covers.

What does everyone else think?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wonder if Alex gets to choose or if the titles are proposed to him. I'd have to think someone of his caliber gets a say in it.

Heck, why not the new Doctor Doom series?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wonder if Alex gets to choose or if the titles are proposed to him. I'd have to think someone of his caliber gets a say in it.

I have no idea how Marvel operates here, but I'd find it hard to believe that the biggest name artists don't have more say in what they actually do than more average level artists.

As to where I'd like to see his work, Ross has a very traditional attitude. Cap obviously jumps out at the best example of that. His work appeals to me more for an individual character rather than a team. In a sense, he's the anti-Perez in that regard. But still, Fantastic Four would be a nice run of Ross covers.

I'm torn on Dr Strange covers. I think Ross could handle the weirdness of a Strange setting. His work also resembles Frank Brunner's to an extent. So I think I will also say Dr Strange.

BANNED

No way he doesn't get a say. I don't think Ross takes any job that he isn't interested in.

I think it's more likely that they'd have him do Fantastic Four rather than a Doom solo. And I bet Ross will do the FF eventually.

But for anyone who hasn't checked out Doom yet, give it shot - it's one of the best books out there at the moment!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No way he doesn't get a say. I don't think Ross takes any job that he isn't interested in.

I think it's more likely that they'd have him do Fantastic Four rather than a Doom solo. And I bet Ross will do the FF eventually.

But for anyone who hasn't checked out Doom yet, give it shot - it's one of the best books out there at the moment!

Thanks for the boost! I'd like this to be at least a 2 year run but have to see how the sales hold up. The competition is pretty fierce and Marvel is banking on Hickman's X titles now. What's weird on the DC side of things is that Batman has been pushed out of the top ranking by all the villain titles.

I am pretty sure Alex Ross has done some variant FF covers in the past and most recently we had Ribic as the regular cover artist on the Fantastic Four. I think the Fantastic Four would be a good choice for him too.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-06-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I was just talking about this in the Namor Advent Calendar thread! I love how Ross is doing covers for both Cap and the Hulk, and I'd LOVE to see him do the same for a Namor solo! He likes Namor and can handle all 80 years of Namor's history and it would be cool to see him stretch out into the underwater stuff.

However, given Marvel editorial's biases, and the chances of that happening, I'd have to go with Doom. Then the FF. Then Magneto.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Spider-Woman

Mighty Member

Alex Ross seems to highlight classic characters more than anything else, and I don't hate that at all. That said, it would be cool if he did a piece with more recent characters. He already gave Champions some love. I'd like to see him take on New Warriors.

Definitely Black Panther and one of the X-Men's books.

Ross' preference is classic character in classic looks. Which is why he should be doing Champions and Runaways covers.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Fantastic Four and Doctor Strange.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If he was ever lucky enough to get a series, Blue Marvel. Of course.

Sub-Mariner, Dr Strange or FF.