Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    So yeah, NXM fans are cheesed because after being told “sorry, they’re not as popular as Character X, Y, or Z,” Marvel puts out THIS book which is pretty literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    I'd kinda like a 'Thunderbolts' style team of mutants more traditionally associated with villainy, but would prefer a lineup made up of people from Mutant Force/the Resistants, the Acolytes, the original Hellions, the Mutant Liberation Front and maybe even the Nasty Boys or Dark Riders, than most of these people. I definitely think there's some potential, and a lot of interesting characters tucked away in those groups (Tempo! Catseye! Frenzy! Unuscione! Mellencamp?), that could shine with a little development.

And wow, how much has Havok fallen to be on a team with Nanny, Orphan-Maker, Scalphunter, etc. "Let's make a team of villains and outcasts! The last people anyone would expect! Oh, and that 'call me Alex' jerk! He's at least as bad as the architect of the Morlock Massacre!"

I'm not even sure what to say about this. Mr. Sinister leading the team is a hard NOPE! from me. But I will read the spoiler topics for it because this is just bizarre.

I understand the feeling of 'THESE GUYS GET A BOOK BEFORE XYZ CHARACTER?!" I love Daken, who had a pretty long run as Dark Wolverine, and Laura, who's All New Wolverine series sold more than some of the DoX books. Neither has a book for themselves, and Laura is just Psylock's sidekick on the soon to be cancelled FA. Its frustrating.

I like the concept. I like that egg and son are there to spice things up. Gunshooter looks cool and can be cool. I wanna see if he leans more towards individual character or Nate's homeboy. Also change his name, ha ha. I don't care about the date rapist or the little furry thing, but it's fine if I don't like every boomer villain picked out of a dumpster if it means creators can use any random, ****-all character they want for their stories. Creativity and potential and all that. Yes, I would swap those two for Jetstream and Catseye. Yes, there are certainly characters who haven't gotten their due and deserve some in the Lord Hickman era. But part of the deal when Hickman opened the floodgates and just brought back everyone and their mother was that there weren't going to be pages for everyone right away and that fans might have to be patient for favs. It's been half a year. Let's see what happens. Give these punks a chance.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And wow, how much has Havok fallen to be on a team with Nanny, Orphan-Maker, Scalphunter, etc. "Let's make a team of villains and outcasts! The last people anyone would expect! Oh, and that 'call me Alex' jerk! He's at least as bad as the architect of the Morlock Massacre!"
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, Havok was a bad guy not too long ago and got turned back to the side of good unwillingly. So he could fit the theme.

The New X-Men currently HAVE a book, it's called New Mutants! We have been continually told that this will have a rotating cast and feature the younger generation. We've already seen previews with Glob & Armor. Pixie & Anole were even in X-Men last week!

Jesus, can't we just have our thread to talk about Hellions?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm not even sure what to say about this. Mr. Sinister leading the team is a hard NOPE! from me. But I will read the spoiler topics for it because this is just bizarre.

I understand the feeling of 'THESE GUYS GET A BOOK BEFORE XYZ CHARACTER?!" I love Daken, who had a pretty long run as Dark Wolverine, and Laura, who's All New Wolverine series sold more than some of the DoX books. Neither has a book for themselves, and Laura is just Psylock's sidekick on the soon to be cancelled FA. Its frustrating.
    She should be leading, not being a sidekick.

mr Sinister is the leader? oh really? This book gonna be crazy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Maybe they are not interested in those 10 sales?
    You don't make 63 issues on 10 sales.

I’m not even sure we’ve truly begun to explore the weird esoteric fandoms who pop up to derail threads. Next it’ll be like Gideon stans or something.
    People are fed up with hearing it's all about sales-when the folks who gave you sales are the main ones not being used. Meanwhile guys no one wants to read about, creator's pets or whatever keep getting shots galore.

Generation X & XMA kids SOLD-yet they cant sniff another series with the proper roster.

Meanwhile what volume are we on with Moon Knight or Carol Danvers?
    Why are guys who were collecting dust getting a series?
    Or we see the mess that we see at DC-50 Batman books at the expense of others.

Then when sales get bad-suddenly we see lectures about who is a fan or not. Like we saw with Hal Jordan & TGLC-sales were not good and Hal fans went after John Stewart fans-who went buying the book. If the company makes it clear who they value-expect lower sales.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You don't make 63 issues on 10 sales.
    There is a valid point to the sales argument. The NXM/Academy X crew got to 60+ issues over a decade ago in a different market. I do believe that if they'd gotten a writer interested in continuing their story after Kyle and Yost made the choice to drop Academy X for X-Force instead of the dogs dinner of Young X-Men, we probably could have gotten a good 40 issues out of a second volume, and fewer of those characters would have become wallpaper and cannon fodder. But that's not how it happened, and the momentum was lost. Cold launching a NXM book just to have a teen X-Book would almost certainly faceplant when it came to sales. "Teen X-Book" isn't a hook that's had legs for a while now for various reasons.

But trying to go with the notion that those characters aren't popular enough to hold up a title when talking about a book like "Hellions" just kind of grazes that point. "Hellions" is a book where the potential trainwreck aspect is by far a stronger draw than the largely disposable cast (and a mean that in the good way; most readers pick up a villain book because watching them transgress while we wait for the **** to hit the fan is most of the fun). Like I mentioned earlier, you could do "Fallen Angels" v.3 pretty easily by inverting that hook and using some of the NXM characters - instead of asking if the villains can be reformed, ask if their presence is inherently corruptive to the others on the island.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You don't make 63 issues on 10 sales..
    New X-Men had 46 issues, then it was relaunched (a sign it wasn’t selling well anymore) and ended after 12 issues, a sign that the relaunch didn’t work. So the pictures is quite different than the one you are painting. We could say they stopped being successful 12 years ago, or that they have been successful for around 3 years before the first decline, and these would be two factual statements.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    New X-Men had 46 issues, then it was relaunched (a sign it wasn’t selling well anymore) and ended after 12 issues, a sign that the relaunch didn’t work. So the pictures is quite different than the one you are painting. We could say they stopped being successful 12 years ago, or that they have been successful for around 3 years before the first decline, and these would be two factual statements.
    The book was selling fine. It relaunched because 1) the entire line was shuffling around for the Utopia era and 2) the current creative team decided to move on to another book. The relaunch had a different writer, worse art, used none of the popular characters, and largely focused on the new writer's new characters. It launched well, but tanked quickly because it had almost nothing to recommend it.

I wonder what will be the motto of this tittle.. we have the NM is space, the Marauders dealing with international commerce and HFC internal fights... (the XMen is so out of focus... I don´t know what is the point of it)... I hope the Hellions shows some focus.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

I feel like X-Men is the seed book. It's planting information and characters that will come to fruition later, though whether that'll be Hickman picking up the ideas or other writers is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    The New X-Men currently HAVE a book, it's called New Mutants! We have been continually told that this will have a rotating cast and feature the younger generation. We've already seen previews with Glob & Armor. Pixie & Anole were even in X-Men last week!

Jesus, can't we just have our thread to talk about Hellions?
    So much wrong with post. lol
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

I'll give it a try and see if I likes it. I trust Wells to do a decent job.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

I like Wells, he has wrote some excellent Elektra stories, but this cast is not very inspiring. Now if it had Lady Mastermind and Frenzy in it I'd be all over it!