Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Diana and Romance

So DC has issues with Steve, Trevor and other love interested in Diana's life. I feel a lot has to due with Perez's run. Even if you dislike Steve and Diana's relationship, there were others who were good with Diana that could have been used. Who is your favorite couple? I do like Steve. I did go up with Diana and Bruce.

The years from 1986 through 2011 told me that Wonder Woman never particularly "needed" a romance. I feel as though she has one now mostly because it's pretty much a requirement in every superhero movie.

Iron Man 1-3
    Captain America 1-3
    Avengers 1-4 (barely in 1, but Iron Man was still the main-ish character and he has moments with Pepper)
    Thor 1-2
    Ant-Man 1-2
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1-2
    Spider-man 1-2
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    Incredible Hulk

That's like 21/23 MCU movies, leaving out only Thor 3 and the Carol Danvers flick which I never watched. I don't like DCEU enough to talk about it.

Now even though I said she didn't need it, it's not like romance was bad, either. The only pairing for WW I didn't like was DCAU Batman, because I felt like the writers felt they needed to give Batman a romantic interest (because he always has one) and ultimately WW suffered the most from it. I know the writers claim they followed up with it because some fans reacted to the playful kiss on the cheek in one episode, but I always found that claim dubious when you look at everything.

Fantastic Member

Diana paired with Superman is my favorite. I thought they were a great couple.

Steve, definitely. After that - anyone except Clark and Bruce. As long as it doesn't conflict with any other pairing I like, I mean.

I'm curious one reason why there are people who dislike Steve and Diana, is she falls in love with the first man she sees. I mean Greek myths did have some Gods fall in love with humans the first time they saw them. I don't mind that Diana doesn't have one. It's just the simple fact Dc doesn't seem to try a lot with Diana.

So is diana and Steve not together or something?

Diana doesn't need romance but if it's to happen the best match for her is Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    So is Diana and Steve not together or something?
    Due to Aphdoite dying he whines and dumps her. Why Clark? So is it because of their similar nature?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious one reason why there are people who dislike Steve and Diana
    After 22 years of hanging out in online forums, I've learned that if someone doesn't like a comic or anime couple, it's often because that person would rather one of the characters in the couple be paired with someone else, and I'm guessing that has at least a little to do with why a lot of people don't like Steve. This phenomenon of disliking couples that interfere with the couples people would rather see has this interesting consequence of creating fake couple fans: claiming to like one couple only because it opens the path for your favorite one to happen. The writers of Young Justice (probably) poked fun at this when (I think) Artemis and Miss Martian were talking about how cute couples each other would make with some random boy, but they were just saying that because they both wanted Conner and wanted the other not to screw things up.

As for Steve himself, he wasn't comic relevant for a decades-long stretch that it created fan apathy toward him. So unless you just started reading comics recently, or are over the age of 45 or so, he's just not the character you grew up with. Even if you watched the Lynda Carter show, like I did watching syndicated reruns in the 80s, it's not like the show portrayed them as a great pairing. There are whole generations of fans who simply didn't grow up with a compelling take on the couple. There are whole generations of comic readers who are used to seeing Superman and Lois, Peter and Mary Jane, etc. but didn't see Wonder Woman and Steve.

I don't think Diana, as a character, *needs* romance in her narrative.

But just to play the game, my first and only real choice is Steve. But I do really like the idea of Clark and Diana dating briefly early in their careers. I support a six month long relationship between them before they realize that for all their similarities they don't have a ton in common, part ways in a mutually amicable split, and remain very close friends thereafter.

I don't want to see them together now, because we have Mera back, but I really enjoyed the Diana-Aquaman ship. I think they're a great pairing on so many levels but I'd never trade Mera for it.

I'm not against Diana dating a woman either, but I can't really think of any lesbians in DC that Diana could build a relationship with.

If I got to play God and do anything I wanted, I'd steal Steve Rogers from Marvel and dump him in Diana's lap (and as a consolation prize to Peggy Carter we'll send her Steve Trevor). But since that will never (and should never) happen I'm gonna stick with DC's Steve for Diana.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Diana paired with Superman is my favorite. I thought they were a great couple.
    I tend to agree with you. Although I also like Clark with Lois so I'm torn. Diana with Bruce could maybe also work or Diana with a female for a change.

I think why I don't care about Diana x Steve is because modern Steve is a non-entity. He's boring as a character and as a love interest. He hasn't added anything to the narrative in decades. He's criminally underdeveloped. I blame DC Editorial.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-08-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."