Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Steve is my first choice, Superman is my second.

Fantastic Member

I always felt that Wonder Woman doesn't need a love interest since she has been isolated on Paradise Island for thousands of years. She should be more of adventurer/explorer type character searching for fun and competition.

Astonishing Member

Not every character needs a love interest or romantic plot. A lot of characters have suffered because writers pushed them into love triangles and relationship drama. I think that Wonder Woman can function just fine without either pf those things.

Spectacular Member

Every one need romance, unless your are not able to process this feelings. It's human. And a character like Diana being all about love, i don't conceive her without relationships. As for who she should be with, there are no arguments in favor or in devafor with Steve, Bruce, Clark,etc. So the argument she should be with someone like superman because he is the best is just "censured". As Aphrodite said, love is not rational. On a more personal note, i think she should be with Steve but again, i can't have any meaningfull arguments because love doesn't work like that.

There are a lot kinds of love in this world including rational love, love is love and can't be measure by what kind of love it is as long this kind of love suit you and make you happy, if Clark is the best companion for her he will be the perfect love for her. The only thing all kinds of love don't accept is censorship.

Given we can't ignore hx, I'd say Steve is her first experience with a male/female relationship, and those usually are memorable and helps a person grow because of it being what it is. But I would never say it is her only. She would imo inevitably move on. Whether Steve dies or she simply, emotionally, like any normal individual, moves on. Relationships starts and ends for many reasons. Relationships best endure when a couple has respect and trust between them. And friendship and freedom to evolve and grow themselves with each other. When they can be vulnerable and truthful with each other, understand each other's goals in life, better yet when they are shared. She has had this with Clark from day one. For decades. Whether they start off young or older. But I feel those two will inevitably always be together in some form or fashion. And it seems other DC writers share that view because Clark is the one she has been paired with outside of Steve. Post Crisis her friendship with Clark was always one the things I loved between them. She had that with no other League member nor any other male. Yes she might date others, that's fine but Clark is the other that would be a steady and solid relationship. And it's not that he is just Superman. It's he is a good, noble, kind man that does not abuse his power and she's said of all her allies, he best understands what she stands for etc and a woman like Diana, with her values of love and compassion, she would be drawn to a man like him. I refuse to believe someone like Diana would be drawn to a cad or moody bad boy. Not if we believe she is a woman who is firm in what she values , esp in a mate. Love has to be tested and weather many things.
    Last edited by hellacre; 12-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I refuse to believe someone like Diana would be drawn to a cad or moody bad boy. Not if we believe she is a woman who is firm in what she values , esp in a mate. Love has to be tested and weather many things.
    I agree. I mean, I can see Diana having a physical attraction to a bad boy. The Bad Boy/Girl thing works for a whole lot of people and Diana's thrill junkie enough, I think, to be one of them. But emotionally? Hell no. Diana doesn't have time for that nonsense.

Speaking of Batman, I gotta be honest, despite the years of friendship they've had in the comics, just looking at their personality traits I'm not sure I can say Diana would even like (modern) Bruce Wayne. Respect his ability and drive? Absolutely. Consider him a valuable ally? Yes. Thinks he's got a great ass? Sure. But someone she wants to hang out with as a person? It's hard for me to see that. I feel like Diana would tolerate (modern) Bruce the way she tolerated Orion in the New52.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

In modern characterization it feels far more that any tie that binds between Diana and Bruce is based far more on their feelings for Clark, as opposed to any substance between them independently. DC wants them to be just as close, so we're often told they're just as close, but I dunno, it just consistently falls flat compared to the history between Clark and Bruce as friends, and Clark and Diana as friends. He's the glue, realistically.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I prefer Diana and Artemis.

Y'ever notice that Steve Trevor is often a tragic romance? He died in the early Bronze Age, he died in the movie and the sequel will revisit that, hell, even the DCAU ended on a bittersweet note.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 12-07-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd prefer Diana with Steve first and foremost. He's boring like 80% of the time, but so is every other male love interest/potential love interest she's been saddled with since he got retconned post-COIE. His great movie version and his status as the original at least gives him one up on all of them. I DON'T like her paired with either Clark or Bruce. They should be like brothers to her (more so Clark), but nothing beyond that. Of the two, Clark is still the lesser of two evils though.

Since she's bisexual, pair her up with Artemis or Io if Steve isn't available. And she and Barbara Ann totally should have been canon before the Cheetah stuff. In my head canon, it still is That thing with Etta just fell flat to me, it feels like Rucka wanted to hook her up with Diana and was vetoed.

Ah, I dunno man. Isn't Artemis a little.....lazy? Other than Diana (and not counting Donna because she's always a mess) Artemis is typically the only other "actively used" Amazon around. And I never really felt like that was an overly warm relationship either. Other than being Amazons, do they even really have anything in common?

I feel like Fire or Starfire might maybe be worth considering but they're both established as straight (far as I know anyway?). Kate Spencer too. I feel like somehow a Power Girl-Diana relationship would play out a lot like a Clark-Diana one, even though PG is a very different person than her quasi-cousin. And I don't see Rene Montoya working out at all, nor Kate Kane. And I can't think of any lesbian supporting characters who'd work either.

If you're looking at the Island, Mala might work? Or you could re-purpose Nubia (though I don't think I'd want to see that)?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think a problem with Diana's romances is the vast majority of them have been written by men. Therefore, they can't/don't/won't put themselves in the position of a woman. So you end up with relationships that are bland or make Diana out to be a prize or reward for the coolest Justice League member (and by that I mean the writer's favorite character).

I appreciate Steve is a character created for Diana. But except for Chris Pine, he tends to be dull. I can't stand pairing her with Superman or Batman or any other Justice League member.
    This is a big reason why I support Diana just getting a girlfriend. Maybe, just maybe, she might find someone aside from Chris Pine she has actual chemistry with.

I don't see her with Artemis or any existing character to be honest. Artemis strikes me as a friendly rival, akin to latter-day Vegeta to Goku. What could be interesting is a character who acts sort of what Catwoman is to Batman or Black Cat to Spider-Man. Someone who tempts Diana to...not dark side...but to be a little more selfish, and Diana in turn might strive to turn such a character to a better path.

I think the heart of the matter is few know what Diana is really looking for in a relationship. Most writers latch onto the "she wants an equal" thing, which is how we get the Superman ship. Maybe she wants someone who sees her as a human being despite her fantastical origins...which is something Steve could do, depending on the writer. Some writers make her someone who wants a "project" that she can fix.

Honestly, as long as I've been a fan of Wonder Woman, I'm not sure what exactly she is or should be looking for in an ideal partner. But she also doesn't strike me as someone longing for someone to love. As others have pointed out, love is not something that is lacking in Diana's life, so romance is not something she really seems concerned with.

If we're talking about same sex stuff, I still think by far the most interesting thing is a Diana/Barbara history. Problem of course being it'd be hard to write in real time unless she shied away from evil. But, a past history before she became the Cheetah, and then a focus from then on about the lingering feelings and attraction and how that conflicts with their enemy status, that could be fascinating in its own right. I give Rucka credit for that one because even if he won't throw DC under the bus and confirm it, I'm thoroughly convinced that was his intentions for his Rebirth run and it got kiboshed and why what we got was the exceedingly underwhelming Barbara/Etta thing. I felt foreshadowing was there in those early issues.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If we're talking about same sex stuff, I still think by far the most interesting thing is a Diana/Barbara history. Problem of course being it'd be hard to write in real time unless she shied away from evil. But, a past history before she became the Cheetah, and then a focus from then on about the lingering feelings and attraction and how that conflicts with their enemy status, that could be fascinating in its own right. I give Rucka credit for that one because even if he won't throw DC under the bus and confirm it, I'm thoroughly convinced that was his intentions for his Rebirth run and it got kiboshed and why what we got was the exceedingly underwhelming Barbara/Etta thing. I felt foreshadowing was there in those early issues.
    Just think, we could've had Adora/Catra before the new She-Ra was even a thing.

"Hey, Diana..."