Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I agree with you. They'd make an interesting inter-promotional couple. This is why I've paired Wondy and Cap in my DC/Marvel crossover "Convergence Point".
    I'm surprised you didn't do the "reunited lovers" thing, since Diana's immortal. Cap could be frozen for eighty years and Diana wouldn't age a day, then you get to have them reconnect and Diana introduce him to the new world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For Starfire, given Tamaranian culture being what it is, I just don't see it as much of a stretch. Enough that if it happened, I wouldn't bat an eye. Bea is possibly, but frankly I never saw her that way though I'm not against it. However, I think Di is both out of her league and not really a good match regardless.
    Kory could be, absolutely, but we've never seen anything on the page to suggest it that I can remember. Same with Bea. I was just trying to think of female characters who *could* be twisted around into being bisexual or gay, who Diana might have an interesting relationship with. I feel like even if Kory and Bea were gay, the most that'd happen is like a "summer fling" of sorts. Those girls are smart, capable, and fun loving and I can see Diana enjoying their company for a while, but like with Clark I don't think it'd have the legs to go the distance.

    Besides, in Bea's case I really like that there was such a strong friendship between women. Everyone talked about how they must've been lesbians but no, just good friends, and comics need more bromances (what' the female equivalent here?) like that.

    I agree with the point that Anissa may be young, but Diana being some immortal demigoddess makes this an issue for any romance, frankly. Where did she stop aging? Because of her status as a member of the Trinity and thus one of the OGs, anyone sans JSA or Big 7 seems like someone she watched grow up, and even them technically. Better to invent a new love interest.
    If we're not using Steve, absolutely. And yeah, if Diana's immortal than the twenty-thirty year difference between Anissa and the League generation is moot, at least as far as Diana is concerned. What's a couple decades to someone who has been around centuries? But readers are going to see a member of the League generation dating a Leaguer's daughter and I doubt they'd applaud it. It'd look an awful lot like one of those creepy old men in their 80's dating the 18 year old.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't do the "reunited lovers" thing, since Diana's immortal. Cap could be frozen for eighty years and Diana wouldn't age a day, then you get to have them reconnect and Diana introduce him to the new world.....
    I haven't given their in-universe backstory yet. Both getting frozen in the ice was only an idea. So, I take it you think the above idea works better? I could go that direction it does seem interesting.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  3. #48
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I haven't given their in-universe backstory yet. Both getting frozen in the ice was only an idea. So, I take it you think the above idea works better? I could go that direction it does seem interesting.
    I think it's your story and I have no idea where you're taking the narrative so I don't know if it works for what you're doing or not.

    But the idea of Diana losing Cap, moving on and and living her life for seventy years, and then getting him back has value (if it supports your story). You've got conflict in their perspectives; for Steve he would've seen Diana like it was yesterday, but Diana would've spent those years experiencing new things, growing, changing, she perhaps would've had other loves in her life......she's not the same woman Steve knew, and that's going to cause friction. He'll keep judging her based on the woman he knew during WWII, she'll have to confront emotions she put behind her years ago and deal with who she is now compared to who she used to be, and whether she still wants the same things and the same man.

    Having them both frozen together works too, if you're doing more a of a "us versus the world" type of thing where they're both facing a new world neither recognizes and the only things that're familiar are each other.

    It could work either way, it'd just depend on how you want the story to go.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,152

    Default

    Ooh. I never thought of pairing WW with Cap. He's kinda similar to Steve in that honest military gentleman way.

  5. #50
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,599

    Default

    Honestly, if I were to write Steve Trevor, I'd just picture Chris Evans' Steve Rogers in my head and write that. Minus the powers, time displacement, and shield of course.

    But that whole "I can do this all day" quiet swagger, righteousness, and earnestness? That works. Show him cooking a meal and volunteering with kids and you've got yourself a Steve Trevor readers can root for.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #51
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    I think Rucka made a Steve we can all root for, but people just don't want to root. lol No matter what they say he's boring, but constantly shirtless and bearded Steve wasn't. He made the funniest joke in all of WW Rebirth, it was worthy of one Nemesis would have made during his tenure as love interest. Combine all Steve's good qualities with humor and you've got a clear winner.

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    I'll always root for Diana and Steve to be together again, and again, and again, and again again, BUT I have no problem with them breaking up once in a while and dating other people for the drama, soap opera, and exploration of character of it all.

    Everyone has to stop being so precious about Diana's sexuality. She's got an incredible outlook on life and a lot of love and romance to give in meaningful ways. She's not someone to shy away from whom she finds attractive and interesting and feels a romantic spark for.

  8. #53
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'll always root for Diana and Steve to be together again, and again, and again, and again again, BUT I have no problem with them breaking up once in a while and dating other people for the drama, soap opera, and exploration of character of it all.

    Everyone has to stop being so precious about Diana's sexuality. She's got an incredible outlook on life and a lot of love and romance to give in meaningful ways. She's not someone to shy away from whom she finds attractive and interesting and feels a romantic spark for.
    Never been a fan of male or female heroes jumping from bed to bed!!

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Never been a fan of male or female heroes jumping from bed to bed!!
    Who said "bed to bed"?

    If someone has meaningful romantic feelings for another character, that seems like a legitimate path to go down in the romance and soap opera departments.

  10. #55
    Incredible Member NYCER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And if they can't find anything creative on their own, just shot-for-shot copy Chris Pine's Steve. Hell just the trailers from the first two films have been better than anything the comics have done with Steve I want to say ever.
    Therein lies the problem: approaching 80 years, no one has made Steve Trevor as interesting as Patty Jenkins and Chris Pine have. It just does not work on the page for reasons I can't explain.

    That's why I preferred George Perez's retcon of making Steve an older brother figure but still maintain his place in the mythos as Diana's "ticket" out of Paradise Island/Themyscira.

    I still want Kal and Diana together. spoilers:
    Given that the New 52 Earth is still apparently alive and well and its Superman hasn't perished yet, maybe we'll see that pairing again.
    end of spoilers

  11. #56
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Who said "bed to bed"?

    If someone has meaningful romantic feelings for another character, that seems like a legitimate path to go down in the romance and soap opera departments.
    To be honest i don't think the heroes should have a love interest!! Comic books writers don't know how to write about romance! They always ruin any romance!! They should stick to what they know, writing about heroes saving the world!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 12-19-2019 at 07:22 PM.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Therein lies the problem: approaching 80 years, no one has made Steve Trevor as interesting as Patty Jenkins and Chris Pine have. It just does not work on the page for reasons I can't explain.
    I'd say the reason is rather simple: Patty Jenkins and Chris Pine did three things. First they made Steve into a meaningful mentor to Diana. Second they gave Steve a real character arc (which sadly killed him, but one can't have everything). Third they made Steve into an active observer of Diana, rather than a passive one. We get to see his reactions to Diana's superheroics and how he is awed by them, but also how he reacts to them and takes advantage of the openings they create.

    Some comics adaptations have bits and pieces of these, but not all together at the same time.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  13. #58
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'll always root for Diana and Steve to be together again, and again, and again, and again again, BUT I have no problem with them breaking up once in a while and dating other people for the drama, soap opera, and exploration of character of it all.

    Everyone has to stop being so precious about Diana's sexuality. She's got an incredible outlook on life and a lot of love and romance to give in meaningful ways. She's not someone to shy away from whom she finds attractive and interesting and feels a romantic spark for.
    I think a big part is how Aesop's fables are still true. Human nature hasn't fundamentally changed in the last 10,000 years. Thus no matter what you do someone will tell you you're doing it wrong. It's physically impossible to please everyone since people want different things. In the case of writing WW, one person might want a monogamous heterosexual relationship, but another might find that undesirable and prefer it to be neither of those things.

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'd say the reason is rather simple: Patty Jenkins and Chris Pine did three things. First they made Steve into a meaningful mentor to Diana. Second they gave Steve a real character arc (which sadly killed him, but one can't have everything). Third they made Steve into an active observer of Diana, rather than a passive one. We get to see his reactions to Diana's superheroics and how he is awed by them, but also how he reacts to them and takes advantage of the openings they create.

    Some comics adaptations have bits and pieces of these, but not all together at the same time.
    Part of it is like the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". Seeing something in live action is probably worth a thousand pictures. Realistically half of the way people perceive the writing in comics is actually their imagination. hearing characters talk and seeing them emote changes things in ways that are hard to imagine, let alone explain in words. Some things just require a level of subtlety that words alone cannot convey.

  14. #59
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Part of it is like the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". Seeing something in live action is probably worth a thousand pictures. Realistically half of the way people perceive the writing in comics is actually their imagination. hearing characters talk and seeing them emote changes things in ways that are hard to imagine, let alone explain in words. Some things just require a level of subtlety that words alone cannot convey.
    Actually you can express it with words but in a novel not a comic, with lots of description in the scene.

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Actually you can express it with words but in a novel not a comic, with lots of description in the scene.
    I guess, but that's the sort of book where each comic panel is several pages and it takes longer to read the book than watch the movie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •